These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Big dipper f-02

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
magic
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/

Big dipper f-02

Post by magic »

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a oem f-02 (skytec 152.198).
The manual says it has 10 channels, but the device reacts at 12 channels. The manual seems to describe another product, none of the dmx values seems to correspond.
I have reconfigured a fixture file, and everything seems to work fine except a few things:

*I can't figure out what function some channels have:
1 : Shutter
2: ?????
3: gobo
4: Strobe
5: Pan + dot scanning
6: ?????
7: tilt + line scanning
8: ?????
9: size
10: color, above 200 the device resets
11: ??? above 200 the device resets
12: color mode.

* When I use a gobo which can be modified by x-y- or size, the gobo jumps a bit up and down/ left or right. Also you can see the mirror "jump"

* When I use a gobo which can be modified by x-y- or size, color can be changed but often another color flashes trough.

* When I use a gobo which cannot be modified by x-y- or size, i cannot change the color anymore, have to go back to a gobo that can be x-y-size adjusted, change color and then the not adjustable gobo stays in that color.

I allready swapped the device at the dealer, but this new one has exactly the same problems.

Does anyone have the same problems?

Hope someone can help me.

djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: Big dipper f-02

Post by djSupport »

sometimes depending on lets say setting a value on a certain dmx channel enables extra features that requires a few new channels maybe thats why? (a bit like 16bit fixtures etc maybe)...
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
magic
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6

Post by magic »

The solution was a firmware update of the interface.
Now the laser works perfect.
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

cool :ugeek:
lexi
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5

Post by lexi »

Hi Guys,

Have some updates and a success story for a similar laser system:

Last week i bought a Laserworld EL-200RGY (which seems to have same receiver hardware as Big Dipper F-02) and I had same problems as magic explained above in this thread with gaps in the DMX channel list resulting in having 12 channels instead of 10! And panning was not working at all.

I was testing the Laser on an Enttec DMX-USB Pro and on Behringer's LC-2412. Basically same problems, but gaps are on different channels.

Some time ago I had already same problems with an Eurolight TS-5 scanner on the Enttec DMX-USB Pro, but it was working on the Behringer board. Some measurements on the DMX timings turned out, that Behringers LC2412 has much slower timing. Since both senders are working inside DMX specifications, the problem is DMX timing problems on cheap "China-Products".
BTW: I returned the Eurolight TS-5 due to those problems and I "exchanged" it with the real stuff - a Martin SCX600 - which is doubling the light output with same hallogene wattage!

Last night I found out how to configure the Enttec interface DMX timings. Set it to extremely slow timings, and voila - the laser is now working as expected - all channels ok and no gaps.
During the next days I will investigate to find ideal settings for fastest possible DMX packet repetition rate where those cheap receivers still work reliable.

if required, I can give detailed info on how to configure the Enttec DMX-USB Pro...
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

lexi wrote:if required, I can give detailed info on how to configure the Enttec DMX-USB Pro...
yes if you make the detail info we'll give it its own topic and add it to the dmx tutorials forum...
mortenyde
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 2.96i

Post by mortenyde »

magic wrote:The solution was a firmware update of the interface.
Now the laser works perfect.
I hve exactly same problem with my laser - even the same channels that won't work.
What firmware opdate did you use, and where did you get it?
fourmi

Post by fourmi »

Can you explain please,i have the same problems with this laser
lexi
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5

Post by lexi »

After fiddling around with sending hex strings to the DMX-USB-Pro interface, i now found an easy solution to configure the interface: Hippy's Pro ToolKit
http://members.westnet.com.au/Rowanmac/dmxusbpro.htm

Changing the Frame Rate to 32 packets/sec (Factory setting = 40) fixed all my problems.

Good luck!
jaxx2002
FreeStyler Version: 3.1
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by jaxx2002 »

Does this also work for an Entecc Open DMX USB? And where can I download the latest firmware upgrade for this USB DMX interface?
DJneo
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1

Post by DJneo »

Hi,
I've the same trouble with F-02 and USB DMX cable compatible with ENTTEC Open DMX USB interface.
Tryed what is adviced in the ENTTEC page http://members.westnet.com.au/Rowanmac/dmxusbpro.htm.
With Pro Widget Tool Kit or ENTTEC DMX USB PRO - UTILITY v1.46 nothing better: connection is established but impossible to update firmware (ERROR message = "Unable to Open Device").
Exactly the same behavior as described by "magic".
Help!
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

The Enttec Pro Utility is for the ENTTEC PRO device and NOT for the Enttec open!!!!!!!!!! Check what you have - open or pro!

It will never work in a million billion years!!!!

Also Ive not read the other threads on hear so this maybe talking out of turn but I cant belive that a fixture would not want to talk to a usb device.
The usb to dmx device is just that. The signal coming out of the device (who ever its made by) is DMX. If the device is talking to other fixtures without any problems then the device works and the non working fixture is broken.

If this is the only fixture you have, then borrow / get another fixture to try. Try to establish what bit is really broken or indeed if your cable(s) are ok and wired correctly.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”