These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

only 24 midi to dmx ?

Questions regarding general external control forum.
david norfolk
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: twitter.com/

only 24 midi to dmx ?

Post by david norfolk »

Hi all

I am new to dmx and to freestyler, so please be gentle with me.

I am directing the midi output of cakewalk sequencer into freestyler 3.01 ( midi control), I have set the 24 available "Midi to dmx" values, and thus am controling 24 channels of dmx with no problem.

But I want to control more dmx channels, I don't seem to be able to get my head around the "PAGES" and "Page independent".

Irrespective of which page button ( 1 thru 5) I click on, the same data is there for each of the 24 available midi to dmx entries.

I guess there is something I dont understand

any help will be much appreciated

Dave

LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: only 24 midi to dmx ?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

as Freestyler is now, you can only control up to 24 dmx channels by own choice. The page feature is designed to assign more than 1 function to each button and/or fader on your MIDI controller.

for example.
I assign two buttons for page one and page two in the freestyler setup --> External Control --> Midi control. i do this for the page independent.
now I can assign others buttons and/or fader to control two different things. i can assign a fader to control the master intensity at page 1 and master speed for the cues at page two. i can change between these two function for the fade by pressing the buttons i have assigned to page 1 and page 2..

Page independent means that fader and/or buttons assigned for this have one and the same functions on all pages.
Shift works the same way as Ctrl and shift buttons on your computer: hold the assigned shift button down and press a button to use the function you have assigned for shift.

in the freestyler setup, press the page button you want to assign for, select the function you want to assign and press or move the fader for the desired button/fader.

hope that helps?
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
david norfolk
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: only 24 midi to dmx ?

Post by david norfolk »

Thanks for your post
What I am doing is:- using a music keyboards midi out into the pc, and into freestyler, and I simply assigne keys( midi notes) on the keyboard to dmx channels ( in midi to dmx setup), but as we know I can only do 24.

I am using an enttec usb2dmx open interface from the pc to the fixtures.

is there a simple ( preferably free) peice of software that can simply take the midi in - convert to dmx _ output the dmx ?, I am hopefully looking to control apprx 50 dmx channels

Thanks for any help

Dave

Return to “General Midi Controllers”