These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

lighting hookup

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
poland fun
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

lighting hookup

Post by poland fun »

i have read up on, and understand a pure dmx lighting hookup. The universe is posted in a series of packets, and each light listens for the group of packets that is signified through its start address.

This is quite simple for me to get, but the setup i have is weird (it is a setup for stage lights). i got freestyler to work with it but just adding pars, but the problem is when i try to change light addresses. I hooked up freestyler through the data input on a black box labeled 'entec lighting panel' (or something similar) (no model or significant identification). this box is in turn connected to a huge (bigger than human) box, which is probably a transformer of some kind. the problem is that the lights are in turn powered by a 3 pin very wide plug with gaint leads. (these are just banks of what looks like pars).

when not using freestyler we make use of a 8 channel lighting board with a master (this is also hooked to the entec box). in order to use the freestyler software we have to open the black box, and move a slide switch from normal to bypass; then back to normal again to use lighting board. The entec box has a very primitive display inside it with a group of six buttons, probably intended to program it somehow.

So the question is, does anyone know what kind of setup we have, because i cannot make heads or tails of it. And would anyone potentially know how to change the channels of the banks of stage lights.

Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: lighting hookup

Post by Mattotone »

The big human size box is your dimmer, this is what varies the voltage or frequency depending on model to your group of par cans to set the intencity.
I would asume the box witht he label enttec lighting panel maybe some form of anologue to dmx or some form of show recorder, i don't know on that one.

on your dimmer pack, how many fuses or circuit breakers does it have? does it have individual sockets where your lighting plugs in? or are they hardwired? A picture or a brand may help. You may find that your dimmer pack is only 8 channels and therefore unable to split your lighting any further
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
poland fun
Just started using FS

Post by poland fun »

i will try to get pictures later today
poland fun
Just started using FS

Post by poland fun »

okay i got some picture of the relevant stuff, packaged into a zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6511819/fader.zip

worth mentioning the house light system u see there is not on any dmx channel.... and its not that i necessarily want to make more (would be nice if i could), but 2 par groups just stopped listening to any dmx values or master at one point, so i think something reset.

sry about grainy images, the light was unforgiving for the camera (if i can get better ones tomorrow i will)
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

poland fun wrote:i have read up on, and understand a pure dmx lighting hookup. The universe is posted in a series of packets, and each light listens for the group of packets that is signified through its start address.
Correct!
This is quite simple for me to get, but the setup i have is weird (it is a setup for stage lights). i got freestyler to work with it but just adding pars, but the problem is when i try to change light addresses.
Are you changing the addresses on the dimmers or just on FS ?
If you are not changing the addresses on the dimmers and only changing the address of the pars in fs then FS will be sending data out to something thats not there!
I hooked up freestyler through the data input on a black box labeled 'entec lighting panel' (or something similar) (no model or significant identification).
This looks like its just a simple way to control the dimmers
this box is in turn connected to a huge (bigger than human) box, which is probably a transformer of some kind. the problem is that the lights are in turn powered by a 3 pin very wide plug with gaint leads. (these are just banks of what looks like pars).

when not using freestyler we make use of a 8 channel lighting board with a master (this is also hooked to the entec box). in order to use the freestyler software we have to open the black box, and move a slide switch from normal to bypass; then back to normal again to use lighting board. The entec box has a very primitive display inside it with a group of six buttons, probably intended to program it somehow.

So the question is, does anyone know what kind of setup we have, because i cannot make heads or tails of it. And would anyone potentially know how to change the channels of the banks of stage lights.
To be honest I'd try and find someone with a better understanding of what you have there. Thats a lot of dimmer control and looks to be on 3 phase, if you are not too carefull you could get a nasty suprise.
Seek the help of a local proffesional to assit you.

Play safe!
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”