These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

How is it possible (led tube)

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
)pieter(
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Church
Twitter: twitter.com/

How is it possible (led tube)

Post by )pieter( »

Hi I'm new here and relative new in the lighting section,

I wondered how it's possible to control led tubes, like in the movie shown below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkeuxy-z6vQ

I've got JB Systems Tubeled Outdoor (12x) and 2 controller's. Is it possible for me to control my ledtubes using LedTrix and displaying .gif and other animations?

Grtz pieter

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: How is it possible (led tube)

Post by remco_k »

If they are DMX controlled and you have an DMX interface that can be used with FreeStyler I guess this would be possible.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
)pieter(

Post by )pieter( »

Hi Remco, thanks for your response.

Let's say i want to make a "large screen" out of led tube (JB Tubeled outdoor) what kind of matrix do I need to set.
Is it an 8 x 12 matrix (because my ledtubes consist of 8 segments). Can I get the picture and text just on 12 tubes just from 1 controller?

Grtz pieter
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

)pieter( wrote:Hi Remco, thanks for your response.

Let's say i want to make a "large screen" out of led tube (JB Tubeled outdoor) what kind of matrix do I need to set.
Is it an 8 x 12 matrix (because my ledtubes consist of 8 segments). Can I get the picture and text just on 12 tubes just from 1 controller?

Grtz pieter

Can I recommend you learn to walk before you start sprinting.
I think you may want to learn more about the LEDtrix plugin for Freestyler.

Thing to remember is that dmx is 512 channels per universe. How many dmx channels does each ledtube use ? Divide 512 by number of channels needed by the tube and that will tell you how many tubes you can run per universe.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Onge

Post by Onge »

Most of those things are controlled by their own controllers and are not DMX controllable, if they are then you will not get anywhere near teh sort of displays they are showing in those videos.
I was looking at getting the system that did the "Equaliser" display but because they was not controllable via DMX and the price was horrendous, I thought nah, not worth it.
)pieter(

Post by )pieter( »

Led Tube uses 4 dmx channels: RGB + Strobe.
The tube is divided into 8 segments which can't be adressed seperatly.

Altough I think it has to be possible. Otherwise this couldn't be possible.
http://www.dwr.be/nl-BE/Layout003.aspx? ... =2&PID=216
http://www.dwr.be/nl-BE/Layout003.aspx? ... =2&PID=216
--> Otherwise this couldn't be done and those are the same tubes as mine.

Is every tube using it's own controller here?

Grtz pieter
Onge

Post by Onge »

If they only have four channels RGB & strobe then all you can do is colour wash them, using normal dmx, the same as a LED Par Can. Getting the effects that you see in those pictures is either done using tubes where you can address each of the 8 or how ever many sections there are, which if it is 8 sections then 3 * 8 = 24 channels and that is just one tube and just for RGB, start adding in dimmer/strobe channels and you can see where this is going, lots and lots of channels, if not done like that then they use a seperate controller than may allow control of say up to 8 tubes.

You will not achieve that effect you see with just those four channels, it is asking the impossible.

How do you know they are the same tubes as you have, cannot see it says they are in the pictures.
Onge

Post by Onge »

I have just downloaded the manual for this product, it does only have 4 channels, but has 2 modes.

Mode 2 is the DMX RGB mode, which you will not create the effect you see in those pictures with.

Mode 1 is a pre-programmed scene mode, you would use this mode, and yes you will need 1 controller be tube to create the effects you see in those pictures, you will also need a good understanding of what each of the pre-programmed scenes do to get the effect you want and then have the vision to do that n number of times for every tube you have. No simple programmer or matrix program going to do that with these LED Tubes.

I cannot attach the manual to this post get this error Could not upload attachment to ./files/1162_0be5ede552800a3cf1367e67901d44fd.
)pieter(

Post by )pieter( »

From their renting-list I know they use the same Ledtube that I do.
Now they control the "wall" by a Maxedia media server, i guess. Seen a lot pictures where a maxedia media server was in.

But I don't understand the modes on those ledtubes controller.
If I connect the tubes to the controller and Select DMX 512 Mode - Adress 001 (for example) and press a animation in LedTrix the tubes do something (not the exact animation) but segments of the tubes have other colours then others. However they couldn't be adressed individually.

Grtz pieter
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

Like Onge, I dived quickly into the manual of the controller.
What you want, can't be done with the stuff you have.

The led tubes are NOT DMX controlled, but passive. They are controlled by the tubeled controller.
That controller is DMX controlled, but has 2 modes. According to the manual:
Mode 1: uses internal chases.
Mode 2: RGB control, 3 channels. (channel 1 needs to be 0, Channel 2,3 and 4 are RGB for the whole tubeleds then)

So, wanting to control every section (like I do here with Pixeltrack pro's) seperately by DMX is impossible by design of the controller.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
)pieter(

Post by )pieter( »

Hi,

Last saturday I've visited a party where the video led tube wall was used. The tubes they use for the wall are video tubes.
So you were all completely right.
For normal LedTube applications they use the JBSystems Tubeled Outdoor or OEM variant.

Grtz pieter

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”