These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Configuration File

Questions regarding the Behringer BCF2000 controller.
paco
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/

Configuration File

Post by paco »

Hey!

in the Freestyler web/download there are configurations files about bcf2000 and sidekick. I download the file of bcf2000 (cause i have it) but i don't know where i have to open the file...

in the midi configuration?

thnx!

Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Configuration File

Post by Shannon D »

That is the .syx file that will configure the controller. You have to send that file to the controller from your pc thru your usb/midi interface using the midi IN on the controller. I'm not sure what software you need to do that with (I don't have that controller). I have used .syx files for transferring drum set configurations for Roland electronic drum modules (brain) using VdrumLib software, but don't think that would work for this controller.

Someone will chime in to offer up what software you need and what is all configured in the file. Hang tight....
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Shannon D wrote:That is the .syx file that will configure the controller. You have to send that file to the controller from your pc thru your usb/midi interface using the midi IN on the controller. I'm not sure what software you need to do that with (I don't have that controller). I have used .syx files for transferring drum set configurations for Roland electronic drum modules (brain) using VdrumLib software, but don't think that would work for this controller.

Someone will chime in to offer up what software you need and what is all configured in the file. Hang tight....

Use the USB connection.
dmxlighting for another topic wrote: the program BCedit lets you set up the BCF in various different ways and allows you to assign a midi channel / note to any button(s) or fade(s)r you want.
You will find the software on the Behringer website.

There is a problem with uploading the to the bcf with this software so once you have created the changes you want and saved the Syx. file I recommend using 'Bomes SendSX' (its free just google it or look on this forum, its here somewhere) to upload the file to BCF.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

My bad,,, didn't know it had a usb........ told ya I didn't have one :D
paco

Post by paco »

Hi,

first of all, thanks for the answers.

I donwloaded Bome SendSX and opened the BCF2000 configuration on it...if I connect my bcf using the USB, bome's sendsx send 5494 bytes and in the midi in panel there are midi notes.

Then if I go to the Midi setup in Freestyler this one doesnt recive midi, if I colse Bome's, Freestyler recive midi but I can't controll it...

what I have to do now?
Shannon D
FS is my life

Post by Shannon D »

I think Bomes is only used to send the file to the controller and that's it. Close it once your done. Did you load the drivers for the controller to your pc? If so, does your pc recognize the controller in the device manager? The pc should recognize the controller before you open FS. I'm shooting from the hip because I don't have that controller, but this seems the same way with most controllers.
paco

Post by paco »

Hey,

Yes, my pc recognize the controller and before I open Bome, Freestyler recive some notes of bcf...

I'm thinking, I was using bcf2000 with Pro Tools (audio) and I have to configurate it in Baby Hui, it could affect?

I don't know what to do...I tried to reset the bcf (edit+exit) but i can't...what I have to do?
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

maybe a stupid question, have you assigned any Midi values in Freestyler? it is not enough to upload the syx file to the BCF (or necessary fpor that matter)

in the setup window you can assign Midi notes to a huge amount of functions for FS. if you havent done that, nothing happens when you are using the BCF
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
paco

Post by paco »

Yeah, i know it and I try to assign orders to diferent values but all the values are 47 and I only write 1 value for page...

faders=47, rotatory buttons = 47, all the buttons are 47 and if I save the midi setup and move the faders it doesn't do anything....
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta

Post by dmxlighting »

OK Before continuing with is you need to understand a couple of this about midi and the BCF device.

(I am in the process of writing a tutorial on this for the FS wiki but it will be a while before its done.)

First off the config file you downloaded is really not needed and I personaly would not use it. If you have uploaded it to your BCF then its fine.
This config file is only somebodys idea of how the buttons and faders on the BCF should be numbered. I have my own file which I did (i think) upload to the forum which numbers them in a different way which made sense to me.

What this means is each button / encoder / fader has a unique number from 1 to 127 (midi has 127 channels and each channel has a value of 0 to 127) and using the bcedit program you can assign the numbers in any way you like. This is useful if like me you use alot or all the faders etc as its easier to keep track of whats been used. The bcedit will let you change toggle on /off features for buttons and other features as well. Again you don't need to do, or worry about any of this.

All you need to really worry about at the moment is does the BCF show up in FS and are you able to assign bcf commands to FS (this is done just by moving a fader or pressing a button etc on a feature you want to control).

Clear as thick gloopy mud ?
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
paco

Post by paco »

Okei, I understand.

Let's going to start. I open FS, turn on my bcf. Well now i'm in FS with my bcf waiting to be configured.

First of all, I go to Setup/FS SETUP/ EXTERNAL CONTROL / MIDI CONTROL

Then, in MIDI IN DEVICE I select BCF2000, in the output device I'll do the same.

Now I press START and then EDIT.

I can configure the values for every action in the diferent pages that I want.

The first question, in which page I'll work?

Well, now I select TOGGLE ALL FIXTURES (FOR EXAMPLE) move the first fade (for example). in note I have the value 47 in page the value 0 in channel "n.a" and in the bottom left i have 47/0.
If i choose to move another parameter (the first rotatory button) for example, I have in note 65 of value, page is at 0, channel "n.a" and in the bottom left I have 64/65 and if I put the rottatory at 0 here I have 64/1, its ok?

Now if I save the midi setup and I move the rottatory button, FS have to select all the fixtures, no?

Thnx for ur answers and sorry for my english i know it's so bad...
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Ok - You may need to wait until the full tutorial is completed. Then you will be able to follow the step by step guide and all will become clear!.

It is still worth playing around with it all as thats how I learnt how to do all this. You will get it im sure.

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
paco

Post by paco »

I don't know in what i'm wrong...
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

dmxlighting wrote: (midi has 127 channels and each channel has a value of 0 to 127)
Please state that right:
-Midi has 16 channels.
-Each channel has 127 notes (or keys).
-Each note has 127 values (or velocities).

I recently found out that FS does not filter on midi channel (it seems to ignore it), so if channel 1, note 3 is set to do something in FS, then note 3 in channel 14 (or whatever) will do the same. Was planning to figure that exactly out, as I think its wrong. Or its a choice for some other operation. I don't know yet.
paco wrote: Now I press START and then EDIT.
I can configure the values for every action in the diferent pages that I want.
The first question, in which page I'll work?
Just use the first page to start with.
Well, now I select TOGGLE ALL FIXTURES (FOR EXAMPLE) move the first fade (for example). in note I have the value 47 in page the value 0 in channel "n.a" and in the bottom left i have 47/0.
Just to check: If you slide the fader to max, you see the note #47 value go from 0 to 127 right?
If i choose to move another parameter (the first rotatory button) for example, I have in note 65 of value, page is at 0, channel "n.a" and in the bottom left I have 64/65 and if I put the rottatory at 0 here I have 64/1, its ok?
Again, the rotation should be able to go to value 127. Does it?
Now if I save the midi setup and I move the rottatory button, FS have to select all the fixtures, no?
It should select (it does for me with another midi controller), But I guess you need to disable the Edit function in the configuration screen to enable midi control. Otherwise (I believe, can't test it at the moment) it stays in edit mode and midi commands are not used for controlling your lights.
If it still does not work, you are missing a really simple point somewere... So we only need to find what it is. (which I hope is disabling the edit mode).
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
paco

Post by paco »

remco_k wrote: Just use the first page to start with.
Ok, I was testing in all the pages...
Just to check: If you slide the fader to max, you see the note #47 value go from 0 to 127 right?
I don't undersant- If I put the fader to max I can see in the note 47 value, if I put it at min. I can see 0 value, If I put in the middle or in some point of the slide I can see 47...
It should select (it does for me with another midi controller), But I guess you need to disable the Edit function in the configuration screen to enable midi control. Otherwise (I believe, can't test it at the moment) it stays in edit mode and midi commands are not used for controlling your lights.
If it still does not work, you are missing a really simple point somewere... So we only need to find what it is. (which I hope is disabling the edit mode).
I was trying this option, when I chosse some value, I dissable edit and Save...doesn't work, I try to press EDIT, choose a value, dissable EDIT, press STOP and now press START then Save...and nothing...

I'm going crazy with this...

I think that we are forggeting that I have my BCF in BABY HUI mode...u think I have to change the mode? how I can do it?
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

paco wrote: I don't undersant- If I put the fader to max I can see in the note 47 value, if I put it at min. I can see 0 value, If I put in the middle or in some point of the slide I can see 47...
Left from the Edit and start buttons are 3 little sections with values in it.
Most left: Recieved midi note. (can vary from 0...127)
Middle: Recieved midi note value (can vary from 0...127)
Right: Midi channel (1...16)

Each slider should be assigned to a unique note, say the left slider is assigned to 47. The next to 48 and so on...
If you slide the left slider, you should see note 47 changing its value to somewhere between 0...127. The same goes for the second slider but then you'll see note 48 changing values 0...127.

Check the Midi channel: If your BCF is sending on a different midi channel than you configured FreeStyler for, you'll not be able to programma it properly.

So, if the slider is programmed to control note 47, the value should be 0 when you move the slider all the way down, and 127 when you move it all the way up. (with everything 0...127 in between)
The same values goes for a rotator.
A button should have values 0 when off, 127 when on.

So, what values (in the middle section [Recieved midi note value]) do you see when you slowly slide your slider from bottom to top and back?
It should be 0 (down) to 127 (up). If not, something is bad somewhere.
I think that we are forggeting that I have my BCF in BABY HUI mode...u think I have to change the mode? how I can do it?
I don't know what BABY HUI mode is. I don't have the BCF 2000. You should disable that mode and get it in general midi mode. (it might be that it is already, don't know).
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Please state that right:

-Each channel has 127 notes (or keys).
-Each note has 127 values (or velocities).
This is what I meant, sorry I was tired and put channels not notes.

sirwesley
FreeStyler Version: 3.5
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by sirwesley »

@paco
I'm there with ya on the frustration of getting the BCF2000 to actually do something in FS. I have used other MIDI devices and have had success getting FS to respond.

I really think we are booting the BCF into a wrong mode or something. Mine is now booting up with P-1 in the top right corner. Is that correct?
I haven't played with it too much yet, although I hope to try to figure out some more tonight. I'll be monitoring this thread for any updates.

@dmxlighting

Have you posted anything to the wiki yet as far as tutorials go for the BCF? All I saw on the wiki was a picture of the BCF2000.

Maybe we could start contributing to this: http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/using_bcf2000
paco

Post by paco »

Hi,

Tomorrow I'll try with another cotroller...in the right corner I have BHUI and I think that this is my problem, cause it would be in P^-1 like you...I don't know how to put in P-1...
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Guys

You are more than welcome to start adding info to the BCF page of the wiki. If not I will make a start over the next few days if I have time.

Im not sure what you are doing wrong at the moment but don't lose faith! The BCF is a brilliant tool and once its all set up is one of the best ways to operate FS.

As with anything, its a learning curve and it will all make sense to you soon. Until I have (we have, please join in) got the wiki page sorted I recommend looking at some other forums (of which there are a few) and finding out all you can about midi and midi control, this will help.

The main thing to remember is if you understand midi or not, its just a cased of telling fs to look out for incoimg commands from an added peice of hardware and react to that info in the desired way.

Dont get frustrated - this will only make it worse!

LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

try do use MIDIOX. http://www.midiox.com/

with this program you can monitor the MIDI signals from the BCF, it should send out the data as dmxligting og remco_k described.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
paco

Post by paco »

Ok,

I tried it with a midi keyboard and of course IT WORKS OK!

I start to think that the problem was only mine...so, with the midi keyboard I can assign actions to the knobs and fades, if I assgin to the notes it doesn't work, i don't know why...

So, now I have to do it with the BCF cause I want to control FS with bcf...

I continue thinking that the problem is BABY HUI mode....:(
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

So get it out of the BABY HUI mode?
paco

Post by paco »

how?
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

paco wrote:how?
Like I said before: I don't have the BCF so I don't know. Should I read the manual for you, or are you going to do that yourself? :mrgreen:

Edit:
Did some research for you:
You need to set the emulation mode to "bC Mode"
One of these sources should tell you how:
http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2000 ... _modes.pdf
http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2000 ... _rev_1.pdf
http://www.behringer.de/EN/downloads/pd ... 6_M_EN.pdf

Edit2:
As far as I can see this is how:
-Push & hold the desired mode button (upper left corner, button with "bC" as description)
-Switch ON the BCF2000 and wait until the selected mode is indicated in the display
-Release mode button

I've put this on the wiki page: http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/using_bcf2000

Was that so hard to find yourself?
So, where can I send my invoice to this time?

Return to “BCF2000”