These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

FreeStyler crashes when try to add a new fixture

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
djmaq
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 2.96h

Re: FreeStyler crashes when try to add a new fixture

Post by djmaq »

Hello.

I want to pick that thread up again. I haven't been here for a long time 'cause of less time. I also haven't updated my freestyler for a long time but when I figured out that the touchscreen interface 2 got sliders instead of jog wheels I did a update.
After that update I got a very similar error to this one. Everytime I try to edit/create a scene (any kind of programming) freestyler crashes an I got an error message.
I haven't tried if I do have that problem when I add fixtures but that wouldn't help me anyway if I can't programm something.
While I was starting Freestyler there was a PopUp that asked me for quitting the 'tabtip.exe' but I made no diference if I chose 'Yes' or 'No'

Now I asking you for help. What can i do to solve that problem. To reinstall Freestyler didn't help. I don't want to loose touchscreen functionality but I don't need OnScreen Keyboard or something like that.

Maybe someone can that. I would be very thankful.

regards
djmaq

Jan_K
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by Jan_K »

Just a quick question.

Did you uninstall the old version before installing the new.

Also have you tried to disable the Touchscreen.

/Jan
djmaq

Post by djmaq »

Sorry fot Late reply.

I tried to install it without uninstalling the old version at first. That caused the described error. Maybe Than I tried to uninstall the old one and than to install the new one. But I'm not absolutely sure about that. Maybe I can try that.
I haven't tried to disable the touchscreen 'cause I need it a disabling it ist not an option. Apart from that I do not even know how to do that ;)

Regards
Djmaq
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

Well you have to track the problem down by breaking it into small pices (as small as possible) to see what works and what don't

I will say disable touch and see if that changed anything.
Clear the location and new fixture (not the one you normally use)
See if you then can make a sequence without errors.

I don't know if you have tried to remove freestyler from the registration database.
And I am not 100 % sure how to clean up this part but there are others that may be able to help.
( Spirit ? )

/Jan
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

I just added some reset info to the wiki.

Have a look.

http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/f ... leshooting

/Jan
djmaq

Post by djmaq »

I will give it a try. But that will take some time. I've a lot to do at the moment.

Can you tell me how to disable the touchscreen function in the right way?
Jan_K

Post by Jan_K »

You have to do it under "External Control"

http://www.freestylersupport.com/wiki/e ... screen_ui2

/Jan
RobbyG
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by RobbyG »

Hi there guys , I have exactly the same problem..
... after trying to find a fix i came upon this thread and so have followed all the steps..
( I never used UAC anyway)
So im on a Win 7 32bit Dell Laptop with Eurolite DMX USB cable all working ok , and im having the same issue as above. I programmed my rig on v 3.3.9 and could import the fixtures ok even they function.. but if I use the add fixture area and it dies.

Tried : running it on another comptuer .. its ran fine
Tablet input off .. Touchscreen functions in FSdmx OFF.. changed the .manifest filename ... Given full permissions to the Freestyler folder +rw ... Have tried this with both latest and old versions of FS .....
Cleaned registry by search string "freestyler" ... shooting aliens to keep me calm ...

Has anybody any idea why this might be happening.. ?
Ive finally got a machine that will do the video too now and its a real pain if im adding more lights to the show !!

Thanks for your brilliant work Raph n the Devs !! :D
RobbyG
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by RobbyG »

^^^ After a lot of thought and re-reading... I will go ahead and say that this is because of " Dirty installing ".

I too had installed a newer version and then an older version, and I think the problem lies there with file placement or registration.
I wonder if the devs could come up with some kind of a "cleaner" that would remove all file entries and registry entries for all versions of FreestylerDMX.
-------------------------------------
MY WORKAROUND :
I am able to import settings from my old saved locations, so I can edit on another computer, and just import the Location file and it works. (editing cues and sequences is not a problem)
-------------------------------------
I am now running a DAW and controlling the FS Submasters by midi to Sequence my shows. This is the best way to get VERY tight seequences. I hope to post you the results very soon !! PEACE !! :)

Return to “FreeStyler Software”