These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Good Midi Interface?

Questions regarding general external control forum.
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Good Midi Interface?

Post by matt »

What is a good Midi Interface for FreeStyler?

Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Good Midi Interface?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

the most FS users who use midi controller use the BCF2000 whis is very good to freestyler because of the motorized faders and LED rings round the encoders. i think there's some topics about the BCF2000 on this forum about how people use the controller.

Elation have made the Midicon, a midi controller for light programs.. But I don't how well it would work with FS

a cheap midicontroller is the Korg NanoKontrol which also is a nice controller to use with FS compared to the price
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
matt
Admin

Post by matt »

I orderd a Cheep one from CHina off ebay.. Im gonna try that to see if it works. I dont need the controller, just the adapter. Im going to link FS via Midi network to a DMX Desk.

If it works ill post pics and tell more about this project.
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

matt wrote: Im going to link FS via Midi network to a DMX Desk.

Why? You had just as well get a BCF2000. Although what you say will work The functionallity won't really be as good as you think.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
anacron
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1

Post by anacron »

Sup!
I'm using Korg's nanokontrol and nano key for my lights, I had to "program" them working in the same channel and virtual midi device with midiox (if I remember the name right) because Freestyler won't let you use multiple midi controllers at the same time.. (hopefully it will some day) so with midiox you can combine all your controllers to one midi device.

Only problem with this setup is that individual keys with one midi channels are limited so and it's easy to overlap your settings with the same midi notes from multiple controllers, so for quickfix I just put the other controller couple octaves upper. Of course this method won't work with all controllers, so you might have to bind all your keys again, that sucks.

This isn't anything like professional way to do these things, especially while you are depent of using midiox, so what if it crashes or something? but this is definitely cheap solution if you just play the lights for a hobby. The controllers are small so they are easy to fit a small bag with your laptop and I use them for dj and music stuff as well.
matt
Admin

Post by matt »

Well i got my Cheap usb Midi Adapter from ebay and it seams to work.

Im using this to trigger que's in Freestyler from a Conventional Lightboard. that's why i did not go with a BCF.
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky

Return to “General Midi Controllers”