These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Problem Velleman VM116 weird behavior

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
steve lynch
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: rev i
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Problem Velleman VM116 weird behavior

Post by steve lynch »

Hi Guys... I had a rack mount computer which would not properly run freestyler, so i re-formatted it, and started from scratch... still nothing....

I installed a second new rack mount computer freshly built, and It will also not run freestyler properly...

I say it will not run freestyler.. let me correct myself... the dongle will not function properly...

I purchased a second dongle, and it behaves the same...

Both of my dongles will work perfectly on any of my laptops, but go crazy when i install them on my rack machines...

here are the symptoms...

The DMX controller will have both red lights lit.. they will not blink... I will then have to re-boot, and plug in and try every USB port on the machine until it decides to start flickering...

None of my lights show DMX signal present, yet the software will control my chauvet RGB technostrobes, my martin MX-4, Wizard extremes, Design spots, Accu Scans, and lasers will not do anything, nor do they show any signal present.. I unplug the dongle from my rack and plug it to my laptop, and everything works perfectly...

It's driving me crazy that this will only work on laptops for me, but not my performance machines...

does anyone have any suggestions???

this is just strange as hell....

kikabyte
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.00
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Re: Problem Velleman VM116 weird behavior

Post by kikabyte »

I had this with my Velleman about 8 months ago.

Plug it in, both lights come on and remain lit, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!

I know i'm not much help but... I purchased a Afterglow USB device, used that for a while, and recently gone back to my Velleman assuming it was broke, and it now works on every computer i've plugged it into so far.

I really don't know what was going on tho. I found that when I plugged it into my rack computer, it stopped working, then after that, it wouldnt work in my laptop either...
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Problem Velleman VM116 weird behavior

Post by remco_k »

I might be talking rubbish below, but you'll never know if it helps;

The Velleman VM116/K8062 kits get their power from the USB connector. I can imagine that the power is'nt clean enough* and the Velleman starts doing outerspace things.
You might get lucky and put a USB hub in between (an active one, with a seperate power adapter!). Costs a little money, could make your day.
Why? Because the USB hub has its own power supply and with that it delivers power to the Velleman VM116/K8062. Maybe that power is clean and your VM116/K8062 will work perfectly.

* Besides that, some mainboards limit the power on the USB adapter, check your manual.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl

Return to “DMX Interfaces”