These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

MIDI, multiple assignment of one CC to different functions

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
abbraiane
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

MIDI, multiple assignment of one CC to different functions

Post by abbraiane »

Hello dear Raphael and Freestylers

I wonder whether this has already been discussed (made a halfhearted attempt at searching through the 300+ Posts):

Is there a way to implement multiple assignment of the same Midi CC/Note to different Freestyler functions?

Right now I need to create MidiOX mappings in order to send a Value to different functions.
Example, I want to select Group 1, Sequence 1, Start Submaster 1. with the push of one Button on my Behringer BCF. For this to work the mapping in MidiOX needs to be at least 2 lines(again, just an example)

Assign Button to CC1 on the Behringer, in MidiOX:
Input = CC1 --- Clone to output, convert to CC2
Input = CC1 --- convert to CC3
(nevermind the additional rule for the toggle-on buttons on the BCF, because you need to simulate a double output)

Thus, Freestyler receives CC1, CC2 and CC3 at the same time and selects the functions.
Would be much easier, if Freestyler could handle same CCs on diffrent Functions.
Since I am not a programmer, I have no Idea how difficult it is to implement such a thing. I can live with the workaround for now, but it would be very nice to have a more comprehensive midi assignment table.
Cheers

Abbraiane

abbraiane

Re: MIDI, multiple assignment of one CC to different functio

Post by abbraiane »

Hello again

I am aware of the shift button and the pages and how they can be used.
I am also aware that there is a way to assign one CC to multiple Functions: Freestyler listens to the incoming channel. But I still have to write multiple lines of Midi Mapping in MidiOX, this time splitting an incoming CC into, let's say 3 Mdi channels, like this: incoming to MidiOX: CC1 on Channel 1, Output to Freestyler CC1 on Ch1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. Again, this does work. Maybe I'm asking too much, since my background is more VST and Synth related. In Some (not all) VSTi I cann assign one CC to multiple controls, like for example Resonance, Delay, Distortion.
Thanks for reading this!
Cheers
Abbraiane
abbraiane

Post by abbraiane »

Before I forget: Freestyler is way cool, thanks Raph!
dekw1
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5
I Use FreeStyler for: None of your damn business!

Post by dekw1 »

This is exactly what I am looking for..........hope you get results.....
Un gel spГ©cial est utilisГ© pour aider si vous avez vasculaire cГ©rГ©bral et de crise cardiaque.
abbraiane

Post by abbraiane »

Dear dekw1, until now no results, but I am aware that the developer is a one-man-show, therefore quite time restricted. At the moment I get stuff working by two approaches, very time consuming:
a) customizing Fixtures in the fixture creator, i.e. assigning functions which are available in Freestyler to channels which by nomenclature have totally different names. Lets say i look up the DMX chart of a given fixture, note the DMX Channel number that is assigned to a certain Function (let's say dimmer). in the Fixture creator now I have to put that noted channel number in the Slot for (example) Iris. In the Channels Tab of Fixture Creator I now rename the Slot to IrisDimmer (that way i remember where the value comes from). Now I can assign a midi CC to Freestyler's midi chart in the Iris section, which then controls the Dimmer Function. Confused yet? believe me, it's a nightmare to work like that. But only now the fun begins! b) MidiOXing...If i now wish to activate 2 functions at once, example Strobe Full On plus Dimmer at half with one push of the Button on my Behringer, I need to create a Midi Mapping in MidiOX which converts one CC into two output values...
If you have any question regarding this quite convoluted workaround, feel free to PM me.
If anybody else can tell me a less tiresome workaround, I'll be more than happy! I may have overlooked some obvious functionality that just escaped my attention... :)
Kind regards
Abbraiane
PS Dear Mr Moderator, is this actually the right thread for something like the above instructable? If not, where should I put it? Thanks!
dekw1
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5
I Use FreeStyler for: None of your damn business!

Post by dekw1 »

I never thought of creating fixtures like that.... what a good idea..
I am controlling Freestyler through Touch OSC on my IPad and am going to try Layering buttons on there or putting very thin sliders close together......
Un gel spГ©cial est utilisГ© pour aider si vous avez vasculaire cГ©rГ©bral et de crise cardiaque.

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”