These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Request: MIDI channel separation for external control

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
telmnstr
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Request: MIDI channel separation for external control

Post by telmnstr »

Hello!

The new breed of MIDI controllers like the Akai APC-40 and I assume APC-20 reuse midi channels across the board. As freestyler doesn't appear to use the midi channel data it makes it impossible to use much of the control surface. For instance 8 of the 9 faders are all on cc7, just on different midi channels. Same with the 64 trigger buttons -- it's 8 notes x 8 channels that overlap. This is also the case with other control surfaces on the market.

I notice Freestyler already detects this information so I would assume it would be fairly straightforward to add in reception of that. I just don't know how it would effect the midi to DMX feature or whatever.

Would it be possible to get it where the midi channel is recorded with the note or controller value?

I looked before and saw the channel column and didn't worry about it. Then when testing tonight and then googling I found out that column is for some other midi to dmx feature. *gulp* Upon googling other control surfaces do the same thing. The old midi standard was each device had it's channel, but with these USB devices I guess they assume they're all the channels since they will never share with daisy chained units.

Thanks in advance.

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: Request: MIDI channel separation for external control

Post by Spirit »

hi

Freestyler allready support all 16 midi channels. so 2048 CC's

only you cant see on which Channel it set on.. the midi options on shows the NOTE.
on the bottom of the Midi options window you can see input for Channel, Note, Velocity.

and the Channel Colum is made for the midi to DMX feature as you allready noticed here you can add the DMX channel you like to control with Midi..

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Scrinson
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.3
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Request: MIDI channel separation for external control

Post by Scrinson »

Awesome. I didn't know that.

Edit: Except it doesn't work. Whilst Freestyler shows the midi channels being used, you can't set any of the functions to use the channels. I guess I wasted my money buying a midicon :cry:

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”