These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

DMX Signal dropped with new lights

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
DJ Higgumz
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

DMX Signal dropped with new lights

Post by DJ Higgumz »

I just bought some Chinese pars to go with my Martin 812s and cx2s. it seems if I have more than 4 fixtures connected, the signal stops or is dropped. I had issues with connecting the cx2's to the chain before, but I didn't look into it. I have the DMX king ultraDMX Micro, and after the dmx signal stops sending information, it slowly flashes, which indicates "Receive mode, no DMX512 stream detected. Power ON indication". I run 32bit xp on a strong desktop computer, through a standard usb slot, not 2.0 I don't know if this is a freestyler, pc, or dongle problem, but regardless any help is appreciated!

BillsGate
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 4.x
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: DMX Signal dropped with new lights

Post by BillsGate »

That's one known drawback of cheap Chinese fixtures; they tend to mess up the DMX signal.

I've had similar problems with Chauvet Led colorstrips, using a long (non-twisted) XLR cable. On changing a DMX value, all lights went off or started resetting.

There are a few solutions:
- Use proper DMX cable (twisted-pair) instead of just microphone XLR cables
- Plug a DMX terminator into the last fixture of the DMX chain. DMX terminators are cheap and easy to build
- Use a DMX Splitter/booster to separate the different types of fixtures (slightly more expensive)
- Replace your fixtures by a more trustworthy brand

Return to “DMX Interfaces”