These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

new scanners

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
spikie
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

new scanners

Post by spikie »

Greetings all,

im just a new light guy in a party/cafe place and we have a freaking small budget( think small and then that times 3;) ) anyway, from a friend of mine i have 2 scanners with old fashion lamps in it. then it have a color wheel with like 9 colours and a gobo wheel with some diffrent figure's.

now we finally have a bit budget to buy some new ones and i was starting to search for the same kind of scanners like i already have. ( problem is the scans i have i cant find anymore and are old, but still working.) in my search i did find a scanner with a flat mirror and in the price we can affort but this one do have a RGB LED and is talking about multi colouring and first i was thinking ok so Red Green Blue but then i was looking in the sheet and found out that after the normal Red Green and blue stuff he does have Red+green etc. etc. so i was happy cause i think that it then a combination of red and green but when i look movies i notice that it is a green dot and red dot and moving around.. not like i have now..

my question is does someone know what kind of scanner i really look for? like just a white light and then diffrent colors..?

Greets,
Spikie

Nathanrs93
FreeStyler Version: None
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: new scanners

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hi,

We use Dynamo scanners which I believe is great if your looking for a good scanner. We've use them plenty of times on disco's in S2L (Sound 2 light) and in DMX mode for that added affect. They have different colours as well as white and also different gobo's. When we've used them in DMX mode we've found they are a good light as we can control it how we need to do for what ever work we are doing.

I wouldn't recommended cheap bulbs for them though as I'm sure you can guess they aren't as bright and don't give as good affect as branded ones. However, we have put cheap bulbs in just to get by on a disco and that odd event and it's never gave us a problem. But it's entirely up to you. :)
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Post by Spirit »

i have owned the JBL dynamo 250 and i did not realy like them. maby you like them if you whan Small/Cheap/light weight scanners.
the acme Dynamo looks nicer. allthough i never used them.
- No smooth Pan/tilt, but realy good with FAST! movements.
- Only One gobo/Color wheel Both on one wheel. so color and gobo at the same time.
- nice Fast shutter
- Nice light ouput for a 250W bulb
- Shake effect
- Color/Gobo scroll effect

but i dont agree with the Cheap light bulb.
because with cheap light bulb the reflector will Disapeare/damage (because of the heat) and will damage the wires in side the fixture, again by the heat.

these are my experience , Spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hi,

That's what we have Acme Dynamo scanners but we have 12v, 100w bulbs in ours, unless there are two different types and I didn't realise. I don't understand where you are coming from with the bulb theory? The wires are going to get damaged either way eventually anyway, surely?
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Post by Spirit »

because i used MX-1 and we also used cheap blub because they are from a youth centre and they have no money.
But after a periot of time the Cable tree was damaged, as we noticed some peaces of the reflector Lightbulb was missing.
so it leaks allot of Heat.

after the Cable tree was fixed and we used the higher cost lightbulb we never had this issue again.

i also have had the same issue with a Mac500 because it missed some Protection for the cables and it also Burnt out the Main cable for the light bulb.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Nathanrs93

Post by Nathanrs93 »

Hi,

Ouch! :( Well, I'll remember this for sure as I've never come across it before. But then again I did have to repair the cable to bulb by soldering a new one. I should have remembered this but what you don't know is I am blonde ;)

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”