These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

DMX Universes

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
MuschelInBlau
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 2.96h

DMX Universes

Post by MuschelInBlau »

Hello guys,
i have a second Enttec open DMX Interface and i want to use 2 Interfaces in Freestyler.
How?

Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: DMX Universes

Post by Mattotone »

This is currently not supported, only one universe is currently supported with a maximum of 512ch.
There are no current plans to support more then one universe.

Matt
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
MuschelInBlau
FreeStyler Version: 2.96h

Post by MuschelInBlau »

BUt it would be an good idea for Freestyler :)

:fs:
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA

Post by Mattotone »

Whilst a good idea, would require a total rewrite of the the way the software works.
I don't honestly think the work involved will benefit many users as 512ch of dmx is more then adequate for the majority of users currently using freestyler.

Matt :fs:
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la

Post by djSupport »

just buy two laptops! 1024!
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
sowndman
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 2.96f

Post by sowndman »

I think it comes done to if you can afford enough fixtures t need more than 512 channels, you have the cash to purchase a software packe that supports multiple universes. :geek:
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

sowndman wrote:I think it comes done to if you can afford enough fixtures t need more than 512 channels, you have the cash to purchase a software packe that supports multiple universes. :geek:
Well said! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

Time to dig out this old topic. :mrgreen:

Recenlty I worked with 2 showtec pixeltrack pro's, put them in 20 channel mode for various reasons, one of them because freestyler can't support like 160 channels per fixture. (I know the workarounds for that, but thats not the issue now)
So that is not why I kick this topic.

Thinking of this, nowadays there are a lot fixtures that have/need many DMX channels. Like I said; a simple pixeltrack can go up to 160 channels other brands maybe more. Only 3 can be used in a single DMX universe. Then 32 channels are left over for the rest of the equipment. So one LJ can put in 1 nice movinghead and then he's out of channels for the 2nd moving head.
I did'nt have this limit in real life yet, but I can image it will come across one day, especially when, for example, there are 4 pixeltracks in 160 channel mode needed.
Buying 2 laptops won't be neccesary for me, I already have 2. One for by light jobs, complete with beer and other sticky stuff on it, and one for regular home use where my fingers don't get glued on when I touch it. :mrgreen: That will be a 'solution', I know that.

So,without damaging the good laptop, it will be nice to take in consideration to change the internal structure in FreeStyler so that it supports multiple interfaces. If prossible even 2 different brands and models and number of channels, each one controlling its own DMX universe of up to 512 channels.
I know FreeStylers internal structure is not prepared for this, and it would be a lot of work, but it could be a nice addition one day.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

Onge the make a donation is actually for Raph its Raph's donation page from the website for Freestyler maybe I should make that clearer!!
THW Mark
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by THW Mark »

a nice workaround could be to allow running of two instances simultaneously, both with their own config file. (having com8 and com9 for the usb dmx pro) or something. It seems to me you don't have to rewrite much code for that.
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

THW Mark wrote:a nice workaround could be to allow running of two instances simultaneously, both with their own config file. (having com8 and com9 for the usb dmx pro) or something. It seems to me you don't have to rewrite much code for that.
Except that people would have troubles with assigned keyboard keys. Although that can be solved by config the both instances right.
FreeStyler saves some settings in the registry, that needs to be pulled out then.

I agree with Onge, I to know how many time software development takes.
I'm a professional C++ developer myself, so I've been there, done that.
Next to by postings here, I frequently had some e-mail contact with Raph for a list of issues and new functionality in FreeStyler. That resulted in a new beta version wich I'm using now.

Raph decides what he does implement en what he doesn't, he needs to put a priority on each request. Same as I would do when I was the developer of FreeStyler.
Because it is al lot of work to do should never be the reason not to ask it for implementation. Hell, maybe Raph had it on its list already and almost on top, who knows!

To answer Onge's 'questions'.
No, I did'nt (yet) made a donation. I just might going to do that some day. Raph is helping me out alot when I bring up some issues/wishes and bugs, I do the same thing for him by sorting bugs out to the bottom when possible, so he has a reproducable problem without spending hours of trying. He's doing good.

Next to that, if Raph one day decides to ask money for FreeStyler, I'll going to write my own DMX control software and name it TrueFreeStyler. ;) (Or Martin Lightjockey, errr no, remco_k Lightjockey)
But, for a few euro's I would stil buy it I guess. But there is a major disadvantage on that: When people need to buy software, they want it to be 100% bugfree. The pressure on Raph is bigger when bugs surface. I know how that feels, and that is not worth a few euro's.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
aquas
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Post by aquas »

I think that only one answear is correct...."if you want more universes, buy an expensive pack", i use Freestyler in my band, and the limit of channels is not so far...so i dicide to decrease the number of channels, so equipment use not 20 but 10 or 12 channels, in six led bars means more six new led bars.
I tell to my boss...you want more? Buy another""...

And another thing i've tried lots of dmx software and the choice is simple... Freestyler because is simple to use, "cheap" include the interface, and powerfull... we can do everything with this software.(Not everything, like "children", but sometimes when we use it, the lights...helps)

cumpr
THW Mark
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by THW Mark »

aquas wrote:so i dicide to decrease the number of channels, so equipment use not 20 but 10 or 12 channels, in six led bars means more six new led bars.
yup. and people sometimes forget it is not a big issue to use multiple fixtures per channel. For example, i've done some lighting on "mobile" white dancefloors with like 40 parcans and some movingheads. Does anyone care that the red lamp in the lowerright corner burns at the same time as the can in the upper left? Reduces channels from 40 to 20. More channels for your movingheads, as pairing those isn't that handy..
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

Onge yes he ahs missied out the doination button when he updated the site I wonder if he knows that?? I will remind him!
Abraxxus

Post by Abraxxus »

i make a donation, if made the second universe and translated Spanish
djSupport

Post by djSupport »

You'd need someone spanish to trannslate it into spanish...
aquas
LJ
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Post by aquas »

Some days ago, i thought in translate to Portuguese, it helps but.... my "bad" english isn't enough... not alone, but if i find here someone that help me... you can think to put another language in FS!!! hehe

greats

Return to “FreeStyler Software”