These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Idiotproof play-only mode for club install?

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
sherz
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Idiotproof play-only mode for club install?

Post by sherz »

The nightclub that I look after has a full rig of moving heads and LED stage cans etc that I program using Freestyler and a cheap Enttec box, the output of which I record into a rackmount DMX recorder in the DJ booth. The club has no lighting desk or a light jock, so it has to be completely idiot-proof! While the dmx recorder achieves this, it is also rather limiting - no sound to light, no manual controls as such, just 4 preset shows on 4 replay buttons.

What would be fantastic would be to have a PC permanently set up in the booth running FS, but running some kind of "play-only" mode - a simple-looking user interface with a page of cuelist buttons, the dmx400 controls for the stage cans, that kind of thing, but with NO option for the DJ to mess with the programming and generally mess things up! Maybe it could be an option when freestyler loads, you can open in replay mode, or if you enter the password, fully open freestyler.

I remember setting up systems like this years ago for nightclubs using the Pulsar Masterpiece desks, they had the option to lock out anything you didn't want touched, and the replay units made it even simpler for DJs who knew little or nothing about lighting control. That was 10 years ago, and I'm still seeing masterpiece replay units being installed in venues! A modern equivalent to this for Freestyler would be a fantastic addition... any thoughts?

Regards,
John

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Re: Idiotproof play-only mode for club install?

Post by Spirit »

hi

look at the userinterface 2 this way you can create your own interface with only the buttons/sliders that a dj can use.

and lockup freestyler with a password.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
sherz

Post by sherz »

Hi Spirit, thanks for the response!

Been using FS for years, can't believe I never knew about the userinterface2 option! :oops:

From what I've seen though, it seems to be expected that this runs as a second screen, with the main freestyler program running on another monitor. Is it possible to set it up so that the touchscreen display is the ONLY screen the DJ sees when he loads up freestyler? If I'm going to set up a PC in the dj booth, it has to be extremely user friendly, ie, boot PC, start FS, touchscreen display appears.... Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions here, I only discovered the existence of userinterface2 an hour ago... ;)

Cheers,
John

*edit* - been having a play around, got it to load up showing the touchscreen, and password out the mess-up-able stuff, is there any option to get rid of the "minimise" command in the top left hand corner, so that it's impossible to leave the touchscreen display without a password? If somebody hits the minimise button in the booth, they may not know how to get it back again! (Yes, they are that stupid when it comes to computers!)
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Post by Spirit »

yes i see your point but there is now way to clear that.

but it realy hard to press on that small tab with you finger.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
sherz

Post by sherz »

Hehe, fair enough then. Cheers for your help! :)
djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

I've suggested this before its a shame I don't know much about programming, because this would be possibly easy to create as an external app that uses the sendmessage system :(
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”