These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Change of Midi Notes

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
Kiter1988
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: latest
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Change of Midi Notes

Post by Kiter1988 »

Hi my idea is to change the midi notes from freestyler ...
i dont want to wort with an translation prog.

my imagination is to change every fader an buttons in freestyler for midi annother midi notes,
for example

override button 1 ... CH:1 STATUS:144 DATA1:53 DATA:4
etc...

that would be a great new feature, for the next update =)

DMXControl may already.
thank you

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Change of Midi Notes

Post by dmxlighting »

I may have missed the point here as the translation may not be perfect but FS already works very very well with midi. Most features can be controlled this way via any midi controller like a BCF2000 or Korg Nano.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Kiter1988

Post by Kiter1988 »

Hi yes it works great but, i have a akai apc20 and dont buy another one.
freestyler cant send the correct midi signals to the apc. No lights are on and yes i have initialized it. i must change the midi signals to use it 100%.

In all freeware progs. you can change the midi signals but i cant do it in freestyler.
That is a "must have" for a professional use.
Im really thinking about to use an antother dmx prog.

Korg Nano is to little
I dont buy equipment with an ear :-D

I like high-quality equipment !
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by Spirit »

Then i would also Exacpt that your "high-quality equipment" also sends and Understands CC# (Control change Notes)
and there is also Only ONE Midi channel available.
so you can only use 127+0 notes ;)
/Spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

I still cant really understand the problem you have. FS does send midi back to controllers like a BCF (which is i belive the best controller for FS). It does not send info back on all channels - only relevant ones.
Example - if i were to change the intensity of a submaster on the FS desktop, it would also change the fader on my BCF. If I hit an overide button from the desktop or a keyboard short cut, it would light up the configured button on the BCF.
The key is to set up the controller (you can edit the setup on a BCF, i dont know about apc)
The other part is to set up the midi output in FS to give you the control you need.

Setup > Freestyler setup > External Control > Midi control

Once here you can assign midi channels to virtually anything you want control over.

Has this helped ?

PS - in my opinion a BCF is the best value for mony midi controller on the market. Very reliable very versitile and well built. Motorised faders are what really make this unit excel!

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Kiter1988

Post by Kiter1988 »

Is all corret what you wirte.
But the APC have 3 modes to work
1. the "public" mode -> knobs light up briefly, and freestyler makes what the controller "say"
2. the ableton mode -> here you have the option to light up the buttons in diverent colors green yellow red, flashing and constant.
3. i dont know what it does in this mode.

in mode 2 i have the problem the controller musst have "special midi signal" for knob F2 -> CH.1 Status 144 Data1:53 Data2: 4
4 is the midi signal to flashing red the knob (F2). freestyler dont send the signal, i would like to change it and i dont need an extern another program.

when i send a midi note to freestyler it makes what i want but freestyler dont send the "correct" note back to the apc, becaus the apc need another signal to light up the red , yellow oder green LED

Here my midi setup

APC out -> Freestyler midi in ... works !
FReestyler midi out -> APC .... this version dont work, i've written , look uo.

maybe you can understand my problem =)

i think that would be unnecessary to use a second software, to get up and run it

thats my opinion
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

a better understanding of the unit you have would help me. I am not about to buy one to work it out so unless you do futher research into 'mode 3' or the whole thing in general or someone with better knowledge of the unit comes along, this is not going to get fixed in a hurry.

I did look at buying on a while back as it does look quite cool but I don't need one really

Kiter1988

Post by Kiter1988 »

Ok here are some facts about the APC20

3 midi modes:
mode 1: (only send midi signals)
mode 2: it can send and recive midi signals <- thats our mode
mode3 : not usefull for work with freestyler

you must have a special Java program( i have it) to switch in mode 2 (initialize), the usefull mode (send/recive)
ok the apc send a midi note and need the same midi note to light up the holding knob.
BUT, the APC need anoter Data2 value

Data2 options
0 = Light off
127= Light on (green)
1 green
2 green flashing
3 red
4 red flashing
5 yellow
6 yellow flashing
7-127 light on (green)

is that helpfull your you dmxlighting
sorry if the wrong came over, I just need to change the value data2

i do my best with my english =)

here a picture
here you see the colors an notes. the notes are not the problem , only data2 value to controlling the leds inthe knobs.

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

yes Freestyler allready sends back the Same note as the one you press.

And Data2 freestyler send back Velocity 0 or 00 = Lamp off and 127 or 7F = Lamp on
So the Button light should allready switch between OFF or light on (Green)

BUT does the apc not send Note's on Diffent Channels?

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
Kiter1988

Post by Kiter1988 »

I dont understand you question not qiute.
i think i must ak the guy who send me the little java tool. he use dmxcontrol , but is already the same midi.

i write back later
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

channel is also Octave.
you can also see it if you use Midi ox.
on midi ox you see TIMESTAP, IN, PORT, STATUS, DATA1, DATA2 , CHAN, NOTE, EVENT.

and CHAN show the channel/Octave the Midi note is Sended on.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

ahhhhhhh a better look on the forum i noticed a other topic about this problem and you also ask for help.

But the trouble about everything is that YOUR the one with the midi device. so i dont know how this midi device works.
but as i read the APC sends midi note's on 9 Differnt Channels. and freestyler only accepts ONE channel so 127+0 notes, so Thats problem Number One.

And the buttons on the Apc allways work as, Press one time it sends 127 (7F), press a Second time and it sends 0 (00).
And freestyler works the Best is you have it like this Press button send 127 (7F), RELEASE the button and it send 0 (00). Problem two.

And as it is describe here i dont know i which Mode its on because i could not find that in the other topic.

But i agree Midi-ox i dont understand it two the only thing i understand is Send a .Sys File and Merge and Split midi. i use Bomes midi translator to do all the Crazy stuff i like to have :D
and with the free version you can Translate One Note to a Other Note. Realy easy if you aks me.

But still there is a Bit of Basis Midi Know how, you need, Knowlegde is a Powerfull wapon ;) and Google is your best mate.
i also use midi just for 6month But Its REALY easy if you just understand it.
/spirit
Kiter1988

Post by Kiter1988 »

you are right.

that is my problem... therefore, I would also have a feature in FS to change the "send note".
then you dont need an external program. its easier for people to use FS with program-specific midi controller like the APC.
The APC send a signal , and FS sends another signal back ... thats easy to understand. and you have all options.

Or not ?

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”