These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

strange behavior?

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
skintner
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

strange behavior?

Post by skintner »

Hi again,
I'm back at beginning basics again it appears...

I have the ledsplash wash lights set to dmx address 1 on three channel mode so they do the same thing. Fixture 1?

When I activate fixture 1 on the Obey40 controller, slider 1 makes red, 2 makes green, 3 makes blue. It's all good up to here.

So now addresses 1- 4 are taken, so I go the out cable from the 2nd wash to the first 4play (and terminate), which is assigned address 5. Fixture 5? or fixture 2? Shouldn't it be fixture 2? so I off the fixture button for channel 1 on the Obey, the washes go off as expected. turn on fixture 2-12 to see if ANY of them work on the 4play but no soap. turn on channel 1, slide up to red both washes go red. started working the other sliders and the 4play comes on... fixture 1 slider 5... and sliders 5-12 work the functions of the 4play. none of the other fixture buttons have any effect (not at all happy with Chauvet for their piss-poor documentation on the Obey40 -- OR their lights for that matter). I went to scene2 and no dice again.

To make matters worse, the Eliminator Dim pack I just bought doesn't respond to ANY dmx signals regardless of the dip switch addressing or mode switching... the only thing it does is cycle by sound. I disconnected everything and set it to channel 1 dim mode (11-12on), terminated it, nothing... cabling tested good, switched the ground still nothing. It's a 4 channel device, dip switch 1 on for Channel 1, shouldn't the first 4 sliders dim the outlets for their particular channel? almost sounding like a bad cable, or a cable that is going bad. If it's in the chain it screws up the wash lights...

hmmm... other than my own poor understanding of how the addressing issue works, i think i've trouble shot the thing as best I can. I will switch out the cable when the wife gets home with the new ones she was picking up for me in town (90 miles away)...

Guitar Center didn't have the 5pin to 3pin converter so I can't use FS and the Entec for another week...

so enough ranting and rambling...

what the hell am I missing here with this addressing business? am I wrong? 3 channel fixture at address 1, next available is 4... so 5 should work as well...

thanks for reading this... frustrated rant... any help appreciated :?

this is making me blind

steve

Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: strange behavior?

Post by Shannon D »

On the Obey40, you can control up to 12 fixtures that have up to 16 channels. So fixture one uses channels 1 thru 16. Fixture two uses channels 17 thru 32. Fixture 3 uses channels 33 thru 48. And so on. Your 4play should be addressed to 17 so that when you pick fixture 2, slider 1 and so on works as expected for that light.

Programming with that kind of controller is lots of work and you have to remember lots of stuff. Freestyler and the Enttec Pro will make things alot easier.
skintner
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Post by skintner »

Thank you sooooo much for the reply... That makes the next step in my learning/understanding much easier. I'm waiting anxiously for the 5>3 pin converter from Amazon... and the idea of seeing the Freestyler program happen in 3D is way cool.

Again, thanks for the help!
steve
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

No problem. Learning something new always has some sort of learning curve. It will get frustrating at times when things don't work exactly as you expect or want them to. You just have to keep your cool (hard to do at times, I know) and remember that this is fun. Eventually you will have it by the Kahuna's and all figured out. We're here to help you along the way.

Cheers!
SD

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”