These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Midi Control gets very low when programming more buttons

Questions regarding general external control forum.
jmibk
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/

Midi Control gets very low when programming more buttons

Post by jmibk »

Hi,

new project, new problem:

I've built a usb midi interface with an atmel ATMEGA processor with a lots of midi buttons. It works very good itself.

When i program under 10 buttons to freestyler, the response time of the button is okay, if you program more buttons the response gets extreme slow to fs.
When pressing the button it takes half a second to activate the function (also in midi setup when showing midi address and the "127" value it takes ca. 500 mseconds) and when releasing the button it takes 1 - 2 seconds to deactivate the funktion in fs (when programming a override button as flash button).

Why is that and how can i solve the problem? Faster CPU in the personal computer and other operating system didn't solve the problem. PC is a AMD Quadcore 4x 2,8GHz, 4gig Ram, 64Bit Win7. Same problem with a notebook with 1,7ghz 2gig ram and 32bit xp.
DMX Output is Artnet.

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: Midi Control gets very low when programming more buttons

Post by Spirit »

does the device also have any Drivers to install.

i know with the bcf you also have the same problem if you not install the drivers.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
jmibk

Post by jmibk »

I've tried the same thing with a pioneer djm900 nexus (its a midi controller too) and there its working.

My project is based on this: http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index-de.html and the MIDI: http://cryptomys.de/horo/V-USB-MIDI/index.html
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

do you also use the Midi output from freestyler?
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
jmibk

Post by jmibk »

Yes, i defined the device also in the output. Without it works much better. (Thanks for the hint)

In the future i will use the output function in combination with LEDs and Motorfader.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

i think the problem is because the links you gave me i see the device works on USB1.1

and Freestyler realy , Send Alot of output messages. so that makes it slow.
i also had the same issue with my one bcf, on a old pc that only supported usb1.0.

now i use usb2.0 and it works great.

/spirit
Last edited by Spirit on September 6th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmibk

Post by jmibk »

I decided to build a PCB with a USB Midi to I2C converter. The switches and faders are on other PCBs connected through I2C on the Master PCB.

Now, i try using another USB connection (like the FT232RL) or a commercial USB Midi converter and my PCB is MIDI to I2C converter.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

:D it looks realy iteresting but i do not realy understand you.

but i hoped i solved your problems.

/spirit

Return to “General Midi Controllers”