These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Elation Midicon

Questions regarding general external control forum.
Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Elation Midicon

Post by Mavi »

I have just spotted the Elation Midicon. It is a Midi-Controller developed especial for controlling lights. There is a software from elation too, but the Midicon is a full midi device wich should work with FS. Here you can finde some product information: http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductD ... txtSearch=

For me this product looks quite interesting. I thought about purchase a BCF2000 but when I drove to a store here in germany where they had one in there show room I discard the idea. Well, the features of the BCF2000 are realy nice, espacialy the motorized faders BUT it is a typical Behringer work: everything is plastic and feel not that good. Another thing is, that there are not that much buttons on the BCF2000. If I want to controll submasters and overridebuttons at the same time I will run into trouble and have to shift midi-pages. I will not say it a bad controller, but I would like to have something more stable with more buttons. Of course this means I have to pay a little more :D

I looked for a suitable controller for a long time and now I found the Elation Midicon. It looks realy nice for me. But my question ist: how is this thing is worked? How does it "feel"? Does anyone of you hold one of this in the hands and can tell me? I will try to drive to the store again and see if they have one in there showroom. But for the next two weeks I do not have the time to do that.

Finaly there is an other question: I never controlled FS by using Midi (because of the missing siutable midi-controller) but I have some experience in creating Midi-Mappings for Traktor Pro in combination with an DN-HC4500. For me it looks (after having a look to the manual of the Midicon) like everything should be possible. Or does anyone of you see something that could cause trouble?

I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Elation Midicon

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

look really interesting.. maybe i should get one my self

BUT.....

The page controls change MIDI channels. Freestyler only supports one MIDI channel at the time maybe, Raph can implement this feature. I have seen many posts where this request is mentioned

looks like the midi controller sends out notes for buttons and for the data wheels.. for the buttons I think it will work okay (FS recieves Control Change messages for buttons, encoders and faders, but will interpret the notes as cc). but you may need MIDIOX to transmit note on/off to momentary CC messages to turn buttons on and off within FS. for the data wheel i'm not so sure how this will work. If it was me I would use the data wheels for pan and tilit and CMY/RGB Mixing but the midi controller will send out different notes (one for up and one for down). it could work for pan and tilt because of the "pan right", "Pan left", "Tilt up" and "Tilt Down" MIDI functions in FS. I'm not so sure how to get the wheels to work with CMY and RGB Mixing (MIDIOX may be the solution).
(thats why the BCF2000 is one of the best MIDI controllers; you can configure is as you like)

And then there is the displays and LED's.. at the moment i don't how to get this to work. maybe you have to use MIDIOX for that (and for some other things)[/list]

The thing you could do is to take your laptop with you to the showroom and try it with FS to be sure.

I look forward to hear what you find out.. maybe i should try to ask my local dealer if he could get one for his showroom cause i really like the design and the data wheels
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Hey Mavi
anything new about this MIDI controller?... i'm dying to know what you think if you had the time to try it
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

Unfortunately nothing new yet. I have not made it to the vendor til now. It is a three hour ride in one direction so it will take a hole day. And the DJ I work together with wants to come with me. But we hope to get there before christmas and I will report if I get eny further information.
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

Something new:
I am looking forward do visite the local dealer on Dec 03, 2010. I just send out an email to ask if the have one of those controllers in the show room at that date and if I can bring my notebook to test.
I will tell you how everything works out afterwards.
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

so how did it go? ;)

I'm almost sure to get hired for a musical and consider ude the paycheck to buy this MIDI controller if it works
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Mavi
LJ

Post by Mavi »

I visited the store and what to say: I like the Midicon :D The feel is great. The faders slide very nice.
You have the possibility to unmount the frame and then you have a 19" device which can be mounted in a case.
But unfortunately I had no opportunity to connect my laptop with freestyler to it :( Anyway I am looking forward to buy one someday. We just spend money on new LED Par so I have to wait with the Midicon a little.
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

i still think that FS is not ready for the midicon... yet. according to the manual, midicon uses 16 midi channels and fs only support 1. I think I will make a feature request. but i'm not sure that solves all my worries (read my first post). At least I don't want to invest in the midicon if i were you until FS supports 16 channels
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
majestic34
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Post by majestic34 »

Hello,
Is today Freestyler can work with Elation MIDIcon.
RetroDj Gerrit
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.8

Post by RetroDj Gerrit »

You can't have all ...
I mean ... you have freestyler for free and the people behind delivers a midi-table with it ...!!!
If you want to work with midicon/Elation then switch over to sunlite suite2/nicolaudi this software support the midicom completly ... but that means ... you have to spend more money !!!
You can't drive a ferrari if you only have money for a bycicle ... lol
People behind freestyler have my totally support ...

Return to “General Midi Controllers”