These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Martin 812's and Freestyler [FIXED]

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
spannerdogadam
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.1
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Martin 812's and Freestyler [FIXED]

Post by spannerdogadam »

hi im new to the dmx lighting i have 4 martin roboscan 812s i want to use throught freestyler in stead to the big martin box i have wich is all pre programed i have bought the jms usb2dmx all seams to be working from what i can c but the light dose noting i just have the one connected to try this out i have checked that the lead is working and the computer says it is but the light is not doing enything the bulb has striked and the light is ready to go but notting eny sugestions ? thanks adam

Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Re: jms usb2dmx no out put

Post by Mavi »

I just posted in an other topic the same:

Go to Setup -> FreeStyler Setup -> Interface setup -> Controller and make sure that your interface is selected.

But in fact the interface you bought will work: I am using the same ;)
I had some trouble some days ago:
I updated to Windows 7 64Bit and the driver deliverd on the CD was not working. There is a new driver version on the home page so perhaps you want to download and update your dirver: http://www.usb2dmx.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=26
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

Before you get too excited, you need to check that Martin 812's respond to DMX and NOT Martin Protocal (Martins own version of DMX).
To my knowledge there was never a software upgrade to allow 812's to decode DMX512. There was one for the 218 though.

It is possible to get a special box made by Martin that will convert DMX into Martin protocal. I dont think its still avalible to order from Martin but I have seen them pop up on Fleabay from time to time.

Anyway good luck
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

dmxlighting wrote:Before you get too excited, you need to check that Martin 812's respond to DMX and NOT Martin Protocal (Martins own version of DMX).
Roboscan 812 manual, page 7 wrote: Connect the Serial Link
The RoboScan 812 may be used with DMX and Martin protocol controllers. The RoboScan
812’s XLR connections are configured for Martin protocol controllers such as the 3032.
When connecting a RoboScan 812 to any DMX-standard device, you must swap pins 2 and
3 with a phase-reversing cable.
read more and check the illustrations in the manual
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
jonny b good
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Post by jonny b good »

LJ_krede.dk wrote:
dmxlighting wrote:Before you get too excited, you need to check that Martin 812's respond to DMX and NOT Martin Protocal (Martins own version of DMX).
Roboscan 812 manual, page 7 wrote: Connect the Serial Link
The RoboScan 812 may be used with DMX and Martin protocol controllers. The RoboScan
812’s XLR connections are configured for Martin protocol controllers such as the 3032.
When connecting a RoboScan 812 to any DMX-standard device, you must swap pins 2 and
3 with a phase-reversing cable.
read more and check the illustrations in the manual
Yep was going to say this but you beat me to it :)
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

This all still depends on how old the software in the unit is. I sure that early 812 software would only support Matrin protocal. ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
spannerdogadam
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.1
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by spannerdogadam »

thanks for the advice i have reversed the polarity of the cable and it works thanks evey one i can now enjoy and make lighting shows !!!!!!
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Im please you found the answers. Ive changed the title of this thread as it may help others in the future.

LJ_krede.dk

Re: Martin 812's and Freestyler [FIXED]

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

rule of thumb: Always read/browse through the manual before you are dealing with new equipment you never have used before AND when you have some issues... it can save you for a lot of time AND trouble because you can find the most common answers in the manual. Especially when you are dealing with some cheap fixtures where more attributes than one is controlled by one channel or have a lot of modes and features you set on the fixture itself.

I don't know how many times my colleges had problems connecting or controlling fixtures where I could help them instantly based on I had read the manual for the used fixtures AND lighting consoles.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

Real technicians never read manuals. Thats for wimps. ;)
I know I don't....

Just joking... :)
LJ_Krede is so right, although I must admit I always/most of the time start without even have a look at the cover of the manual.
If something doesn't work out like expected, its early enough to have a tiny look in the manual. ;)
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

In my world user manuals are called 'Girls Books'!
Because they are only to be read by girls and ladyboys :P

LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

remco_k wrote:Real technicians never read manuals. Thats for wimps. ;)
dmxlighting wrote:In my world user manuals are called 'Girls Books'!
Because they are only to be read by girls and ladyboys :P
soooo. what are you saying here :evil:

I will be the first one to laugh and yell "i told you so" in your faces when (not "if"....."When") you have been dealing with errors for hours in stead of looking in the manual and finding the answer in 2 minutes :lol:

okay, maybe you don't always ave to read the whole manual. you should know how to plug in the power cables and connect it to DMX. but i like to have everything under control. that's why I always make my own fixture files or compare them to the manual before the setup, then I know for sure the problem is not there if any problems should arise.

one day i should program some DTS pro Spot 250 with a pearl. i looked at the fixture file for the pearl the day before and found out i couldn't turn the lamp on and off from the pearl. I modified the file and didn't have to climp in the rig to turn on the lamps on the day i should program them. also when reading the dmx protocol i found out some nice features the DTX pro spot had, in stead of programme that manually.

call me a ladyboy if you want... at least I would be a well prepared one :)
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Trikkitt
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Eurovision
Twitter: www.twitter.com/trikkitt

Post by Trikkitt »

I had a few issues running the Martin RoboScan 812 in 7 channel mode. Looks like the file supplied with Freestyler is quite seriously wrong. It made references to channel 8 (on a 7 channel device!), which appears to affect the values of the next fixture on DMX. There are quite a few other errors, it really does feel like the 812 fixture provided has never been tested.

Is there somewhere I should share the updated file?
Mavi
LJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mavi »

If you created a fixture file it is always a good way to use the FreeStyler Fixture Files - User created Downloads section to share it :)
I know, my english is not the best. If you have any problem to understand you are welcome to give me englisch lessons

Return to “DMX Interfaces”