These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

GO Monkey - Theater / Band Cue Stack

Discuss Go Monkey here!
bluestarprod
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: GO Monkey - Theater Cue Stack

Post by bluestarprod »

Ahh thanks I'll give that a go in a bit and let you know. Thanks for that. RE: midi, darn I was really planning on that to have some override buttons on the pedal from FS as well to fire off strobe/ flash/ etc..

LJ_krede.dk
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

regarding MIDI. there is programs that can split one virtual MIDI input port to two virtual MIDI outputs or more... try the MIDIOX program for example let me know if you want any help
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Thanks LJ, I've downloaded MIDIOX & Yoke (presume I needed that as well after reading the MIDIOX Help file - but I could be wrong). I can't be sure of the integration of this program with both FS & GM. I get that I create alias inputs that are all routed to MIDIOX but I can't seem to set this up so that my pedal (FCB1010) speaks to both GM and FS...

I'm new to the whole lighting software control - but I'm even more newer to MIDI! I'm sitting with it all now and can't make any sense of it.

Thanks
Rich
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

I'm at work right now, and can't remember exactly how you should do it... but... I think you can do the mapping in the "MIDI devices" window.

mark your MIDI device as input and mark "MIDI Yoke NT: 1" and "MIDI Yoke NT: 2" as outputs. in the port mapping area you can map the your MIDI device to the two outputs (still in the "MIDI devices" window)

you should also could see the mapping in the "MIDI Port Routing" window.

now, you set FS and Gm to get MIDI from the two midi yoke outputs.

if you still have some problems with it or have other questions regarding MIDIOX, let me know. I have been playing with it a couple of times
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

On another note - it would seem GM is having problems reading my sequence files...

I keep getting file not found errors... I tested by moving a sequence into the main Chases folder and it worked... I had set up my folder structure as Chase folder > Fixture Folder > Sequences relevant to the fixture... so it would be easier to sort sequences but it would seem I can't do this? seems odd as it would surely mean (possibly) loads of sequences in one folder ... is this correct?

LJ Thanks for your instructions - I'll give them a try in a mo and let you know how I get on..

Rich
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

So I've configured MIDIOX and MIDIYoke to split the signal to the two programs and currently I have this working :D - I can fire off override buttons as well as start GoMonkey stacks.. :fs: <--- need one of those for GM now!!

It's looking really good - I've renamed all my sequences so I can put them in the main chase folder - touch wood - I've not come across a 'file not found' yet...

I'm just going through and tweaking a few things...

Once I understand sequences a little more I think I'll have the scenes better sorted... but a huge step today - and couldn't have done it without all your help.... thanks again. It really helps us noobs out when we're staring blankly at a screen... :shock:

Rich
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Anyone have any ideas as to why a sequence within the stack won't fade?

I've checked the tag and it's not set to ignore fade - I've also checked the sequence and that my buttons are on fade and it fades correctly when I run that in FS.
However every time I cue that part though in GM (a fade through 36s) it gets to about 34s then just turns on! no fade. I've even checked the cue window as it runs in FS and the ignore fade isn't ticked - so it should just run as it does in FS or am I missing something?
lhunter17
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/dnshaw18

Post by lhunter17 »

Ok, i am getting an error message when i try to run my XML, please help quick as the dress rehearsal is tomoro and first performance on wednesday.
This is the error message:
"System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid Boolean.
at System.Boolean.Parse(String Value)
at FS_Go_Monkey.parseXML..ctor(String xmlName)"
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

sorted, i used yes in the Halt tags for a cue (like it says in the syntax in post one), changing to TRUE makes it work
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

Thanx for spotting the error, i have updated post one.

Please let us know how you got on, your feedback will help the development of the software and the drag/drop editor.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

I am looking forward to a simple creator for programming cue stacks as the xml coding is a bit of a nightmare for a non-programmer, i imagine it would be easy for someone with a programming background but i dont have one so it is a bit tricky.
By the way thank you for creating this plug in it is a life saver. I am using it for the "intelligent" lights for a school production of We Will Rock You, i have someone else doing the normal lights on another laptop without GoMonkey and we are just programming cues and putting them in cuelists, we currently have one for each act and have filled all 20 for the second act, wouldn't have that problem with gomonkey.
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Ditto with the thanks for GM.. I found the most confusing part of the XML was the opposite meanings for Fade, Loop etc.. In the XML it just has "fade" and I kept assuming it meant yes to fade when in fact it's yes to ignore fades. But that only took a few days and I've got that covered.

A drag and drop would be so much easier for the non programmers amongst us. I'll gladly help out where I can. I'll try and post a video of the live run through we have scheduled in soon.. Show you what I've managed to do so far...

Rich
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

Is GM not able to run cues with shapes in?? I am trying to use a movement cue for a set of Winners, the movement works in FS, but when i try and run it from GM it just goes to the start position. Is there something i need to do to make it work, or is it something GM can't handle?
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Hi hunter, have you set your sequence up correctly? if you have this working on it's own in FS - then you'll need to look at your snap/fade/off button... check that is selected on the correct setting for pan & tilt (otherwise your new sequence will just be using the previous moves but with new gobo/lamp settings)... presume you'll want to have it run through on your sequence in snap to go straight to it - check this and then resave and go back into GM... I had a few of those issues - just meant me going through each step to check.
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

the sequence is just for the movements, i have tried setting the pan and tilt as snaps and fades, but i have the same problem. I have put the sequence in a submaster and when played from that it works properly, but when i run exactly the same sequence from GM it just goes to the initial position. The movement is using the circle.bez shape in the pan/tilt window, rather than somethigni have programmed myself.
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Are you able to zip up your xml and Seq file and put them here - I'll have a look - not promising as I'm only just starting to get used to GM but I'll have a look..
R
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

Go Monkey supports Shapes, as its actually FS that runs the sequences. How go monkey works is that it just passes the sequences name as a text string to FS. FS then just runs the sequence as if you had pressed the play button within FS.
The only influence GO Monkey has is toggling the options in the cue list window for each sequence. So if it plays in FS it should play in GoMonkey.

Il find some time to get the xml editor finished for you.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Mattotone wrote:Il find some time to get the xml editor finished for you.
:D Going to do lights for a musical, so this editor is most appreciated!!!

Great work Mattotone. it looks like people is getting to like the Go monkey and its features!!!!
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

I have to admit Mattotone, for the application I'll be using it for - it's perfect. (Tribute show & possible a covers band). With the addition of an interface for the XML part - the program will be perfect.

My idea to cover this in the mean time - was to create a database - containing the XML code for each particular song (a feature we have on our website already so we can assign pedal patches to the songs, therefore exporting them to the setlist we print out) we create a setlist online this then imports all the XML, in order, into one XML file for the Set... then I can just load it into the laptop and head off to the gig...

We'll see if we can get that done though... at the moment that was just an idea.
Rich
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Mattotone, I wonder if you're able just to clarify the XML on the following and how I'd use it in a file?

Does this replace the <Loop> command in the original <cueName><Random><Fade> code sequence?

<Loop>
<Iterations>
5 (Number of times to loop)
</Iterations>
</Loop>

<insert cue to loop here>

<endLoop></endLoop>
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

The problem is in Scene 7 We are the champions, with BW M-circle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

I'm at work now so can't check in detail - but did have a quick skip through your XML.

I've attached another - see if that helps - I would be surprised if you weren't running into Syntax errors on starting up GM before.

Let me know how you get on with this (it might not sort your problem yet) - if you do get any errors on starting GM up or while it's running screen shot 'em and post 'em back here.
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluestarprod

Post by bluestarprod »

Also just found your problem with the scene...

<cueName>Bar Winner/M-circle</cueName>

Is this because you have a folder in the 'Chases' folder called 'Bar Winner'?
If it is - remove it - just put the 'M-circle' in the Chases folder.. rename your cue to
<cueName>M-circle</cueName>

That should pick it up.
R
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

alright, i tried that, so it is the same as Scene 7 we are the champions, but still neither of them work. I have got around it by creating the same movement using the FX with a sine for pan and a cosine for tilt, which works well
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8
lhunter17

Post by lhunter17 »

I have just added some new cues to a working xml file and i got this error message, does anyone know what it means, what has caused it and how i can sort it. also 2 of the cues that i added don't work.
wierd error.jpg
when i remove the two cues that aren't playing, i dont get the error. The two cues are just colour and gobo changes
Setup:
SOH USB-DMX512 module
Samsung N102 Netbook
FS 3.4.8

Return to “GO Monkey - Theater / Band Cue Stack”