These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Replace XLR Connectors with RJ45's

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Replace XLR Connectors with RJ45's

Post by matt »

Anyone Done this yet?

Im Thinking of Taking all the XLR connectors out of all my fixtures and replacing them with RJ45's. This way i can use cat5 patch cords to connect all my fixtures together.

any thoughts / ideas?

Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Replace XLR Connectors with RJ45's

Post by dmxlighting »

Are you talking about using these ???

http://isquint.net/2009/cpoint-lighting ... -adapters/

I would not bother myself as I still trust my XLR's and see no reason to add another joint in the cable.
Also I think Cat5e and the like is something NOT designed for the riggers of the road.

Is you reason purley about using a cheap alternative to signal cable and xlr's ???
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

I think matt is talking about replacing the XLR female and male chassis in all his fixtures for this:

Matt, if you do that, you making it actually harder for yourself because you are not using the standard anymore.
Next, normal CAT5 cable is'nt made for roadwork to be connected and disconnected, moved and abused several ways.
So you need to get some type of better CAT5 cable that actually is ready and made for rigging. The same goes for the fragile RJ45 connectors.
Also I think you need to use STP (Shielded cable) with shielded RJ45 connectors to provide an extra layer of defense. (Just like in the XLR cable is done with the ground).
And you can mistake an DMX input and output with eachother, now often they are just hard connected to eachother so it won't matter. But still, you can get strange results when they are'nt directly connected.

If you want my opinion: I won't do that and just stick to the 3 or 5 pin XLR's.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Post by matt »

Yea,

I was thinking of going cat5, becuase i get the patch cords from work. but now that PSSL has 20 foot xlr's for $4 bucks, im not gonna touch them.
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

matt wrote:Yea,

I was thinking of going cat5, becuase i get the patch cords from work. but now that PSSL has 20 foot xlr's for $4 bucks, im not gonna touch them.
I already stated this in your other topic; these are not DMX cables. They might work just perfectly but they also might introduce various problems, depending on the surroundings and total length of cable. So it might work one day, it might not the other.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

remco_k wrote:I think matt is talking about replacing the XLR female and male chassis in all his fixtures for this:

Matt, if you do that, you making it actually harder for yourself because you are not using the standard anymore.
Next, normal CAT5 cable is'nt made for roadwork to be connected and disconnected, moved and abused several ways.
So you need to get some type of better CAT5 cable that actually is ready and made for rigging. The same goes for the fragile RJ45 connectors.
Also I think you need to use STP (Shielded cable) with shielded RJ45 connectors to provide an extra layer of defense. (Just like in the XLR cable is done with the ground).
And you can mistake an DMX input and output with eachother, now often they are just hard connected to eachother so it won't matter. But still, you can get strange results when they are'nt directly connected.

If you want my opinion: I won't do that and just stick to the 3 or 5 pin XLR's.
This is more or less exactly what I was going to write yesterday! Changing over would be madness this way and in some cases impossible - dont do it!
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”