These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

2 DMX universe

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
Wizard
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Film

2 DMX universe

Post by Wizard »

HI is there any chance to make allowances for a second universe with a second USB device. All I am doing is RGB led control fr home lighting. but allt of led pixals.
or if you know of any other other software that can do programable chases. I have trouble with the freestyler because it has 16 scenes. I have 300 + RGB leds Ultra bright. around my house. any suggestions ?

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: 2 DMX universe

Post by remco_k »

Wizard wrote:HI is there any chance to make allowances for a second universe with a second USB device. All I am doing is RGB led control fr home lighting. but allt of led pixals.
or if you know of any other other software that can do programable chases. I have trouble with the freestyler because it has 16 scenes. I have 300 + RGB leds Ultra bright. around my house. any suggestions ?
As far as I know, multiple universes are not planned. Its not asked very often also.
Its a big change in this software (if not implemented this way from scratch), so my guess is that the market for such a change is too small.

I don't understand your "16 scenes" problem? By default a sequence in FreeStyler can have max 15 steps, but is configurable in the FreeStyler .ini to lets say 99.
Or is this not what you mean?
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Because i am using 300 RGB leds 15 steps is not enough. and 300 leds = 900 dmx channels make sense ? The leds go around my yard each fence post has a RGB at the top. 28 posts. the driveway has 5 leds on either side. so 10 in total . railing has 24 leds so 72 channels, etc etc any suggestions for inexpensive control of each led via software. the DMX decoders and LED drivers were very inexpensive about 140.00 per 96 channel decoder and 92 channel 350 ma driver
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Post by matt »

Now you got me interested..

Can you please take some pictures of this and upload them here?

Day and Night would be awsome!
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Sure will but i will only show the fence / driveway and deck supports. the rest of the leds wilnot be turned on until xmas ( i dont want all the neighbors to see it yet :D
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

2 universe Freestyler ? How about using 2 PC's and 2 usb / dmx dongles. Hey Presto! 2 universes!!!!!!!
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Well that would be Lame. Nothing would sync up
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Fair point! Then you may need to buy a proper hardware desk or some expensive software.

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

I defiantly would if it was for public or commercial application hardly worth it for home use. I have to keep digging. BTW for 512 channels freestyler is awesome. I am firm believer if you use the software you should either pay or Donate. If not write software it yourself :fs:
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Wizard wrote:I am firm believer if you use the software you should either pay or Donate. If not write software it yourself :fs:

Well said!

remco_k

Post by remco_k »

Wizard wrote:Because i am using 300 RGB leds 15 steps is not enough. and 300 leds = 900 dmx channels make sense ?
I get how you come to 900 DMX channels, I don't get the 15 steps part.
Steps have nothing to do with the number of DMX channels. Thats were my question was about. 15 steps per sequence is a limit that can be changed in the FreeStyler.ini.

Can't you set groups of 2 led's to the same DMX channel? In that case you'll be needing (150*3) 450 DMX channels. You'll even have some 'spare' channels to connect some single LED's where you want.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Post by matt »

He has 300 Sets of Led's. Are they 15 Channels Each? or 3 channels each?
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

matt wrote:He has 300 Sets of Led's. Are they 15 Channels Each? or 3 channels each?

RGB each led is 3 channels
lj_raph
FreeStyler Developer
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by lj_raph »

Hi All

Currently there is no intention to add a second DMX universe, BUT last week I got a request from an important FS user.
He needs to control over 4 universes with Freestyler. (scans, movingheads, leds and matrix)

We are planning a test setup with Freestyler enabled as a server, so we get 4 FS servers and one TCP/IP client wich will send the commands to these servers. This way he can control these 4 servers from one screen.

Raph
Raphaël
FreeStyler support & development
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

lj_raph wrote:Hi All

Currently there is no intention to add a second DMX universe, BUT last week I got a request from an important FS user.
He needs to control over 4 universes with Freestyler. (scans, movingheads, leds and matrix)

We are planning a test setup with Freestyler enabled as a server, so we get 4 FS servers and one TCP/IP client wich will send the commands to these servers. This way he can control these 4 servers from one screen.

Raph

Sound like an interesting project, will you let us know what happens ?

bckeeping
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by bckeeping »

Hi Wizard,

That sounds like a pretty cool project. I have been looking at doing some DMX driven LED work in my house but have been having difficulty finding LED drivers and DMX decoders for it. The only ones I have found only have 3 channels and are pretty expense.

Can I ask where you got yours from and what they are? Do you have any details?

B. :D
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

bckeeping wrote:Hi Wizard,

That sounds like a pretty cool project. I have been looking at doing some DMX driven LED work in my house but have been having difficulty finding LED drivers and DMX decoders for it. The only ones I have found only have 3 channels and are pretty expense.

B. :D
Sure I will check to make sure that they will sell over the counter. But if not I have no problem to buying for you. I get them all out of Hong kong. 96 channel 300ma drivers with 96 channel decoder I will double check costs but i know they are very reasonably priced
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

I use Ledion drivers and LED's by Abstract for commercial installation. These are fairly expensive but they are built to run 24/7
I also use a cheaper fixture called X-chip. These are 100m rgb strips which clip together. Great for putting behind bars in clubs or in celling coffers. Each 100m strip is about £7 plus power supply and controller.

lightingdoc
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
Twitter: twitter.com/

Post by lightingdoc »

Hello I think Freestyler is great. However for my holiday display , 85 RGB Led pixels, 5 Vari*lites a laser and smoke I use Vixen. It is time based, can support miltiple universes etc. That being said Aweful, no impossible for live shows. It is also free and works on the same platforms as freestyler. It is a great compliment in your tool box.
usLEDsupply
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Post by usLEDsupply »

bckeeping wrote:That sounds like a pretty cool project. I have been looking at doing some DMX driven LED work in my house but have been having difficulty finding LED drivers and DMX decoders for it. The only ones I have found only have 3 channels and are pretty expense.

the prices of DMX Decoders for LED strips have come down a lot in the past year
here are some of the latest prices in USA
3 Channel (RGB) Decoder 4A/Ch $48
4 Channel (RGBW/A) Decoder 4A/Ch $53
24 Channel (8x RGB) 3A/Ch $250
typeface01
FreeStyler Version: 3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by typeface01 »

more universes are handy for more features

for example im using freestyler for many things and shows. but i have to take a pearl or a ma-lighting micro if i wat to exceed 512 channels if you can make the program compattible for at least 1024 channels (2 universes)

that wil be grate for me and a lot of other persons that want to use freestyler in big shows.

the software on the marked today exept the great ones like ma-lighting have 512 channels max. so you can make a difference by upgrading the program to 1024 or more
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

Currently there is an 1024 channel (=2 universe) version of FS running in beta.
So opting for a 2nd universe is not needed anymore. Users just have to wait for it to become available.
And when it does, not all DMX interfaces can be used for the second universe. Among others it depends on their drivers.
madgadget
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Post by madgadget »

That sounds awesome!!
TazziBu

Post by TazziBu »

Hi everyone!

First of all, this is my first posting, and congratulations to all the FS-developers !!! :fs: :fs: :fs:

I'm really interrested in testing this beta version.
The latest beta availabe for download is 3.3.7 - and it seems that it's not the right one (or I'm blinded by my lights ;) )
We are using two FS installations (because of two operators sitting together) each with one DMX interface and I'm trying to find a way to visualize both in one Magic sessions for offline programming. This should work using ArtNet with two universes.
Is it possible to get a beta-pre-release? (or - how to configure 3.3.7 for two universes?)

We're a little bit in a hurry... Thanks for your quick responses.

Regards
TazziBu
Doktordeathray
Just started using FS
Twitter: http://mobile.twitter.com/doktordeathray

Post by Doktordeathray »

Any progress on the second universe yet?

Thanks.

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”