These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

.fms & .syx

Questions regarding the Behringer BCF2000 controller.
NBT
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3,0

.fms & .syx

Post by NBT »

Hi,

i have the new Freestyler Version 3.2.1 it works fine...BUT:

on the FS HP i have downloaded the midifile for the BCF 2000....its a .syx file....
so freestyler wants a .fms file....

what make i wrong or what?

Mfg Marcel

Bad english i know :-D

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: .fms & .syx

Post by dmxlighting »

Syx is the file needed for the BCF2000 or any programmable midi controller (.syx is the standard)
I should mention that the Syx file only sets up fuctionality in midi. It allows you to change the way a button / encoder / fader might react and also allows you to assign a midi channel number where YOU want it to be.
The is, on here somewhere, a syx I made which suits my needs. See this - http://www.freestylersupport.com/fsforu ... =16&t=1517
It may not suit everyone. BCF setup as is from the box is crap for my use but it will work so the is no real need to change it just yet. Its better to learn a bit more first the maybe make your own syx. - For BCF or BCR 2000 use BcEdit

The fms file is where FS stores the user created function control.

So when you have got your BCF2000 or whatever you wanna use successfully connected to your pc you need to tell FS what each fader, encoder or button is to do.

Start Freestyler> Setup> Freestyler Setup > External Control > Midi Control.
If your BCF is properly connected you will see it in 2 drop down boxes at the top of this window if not they will say 'No Input' and you need to get it connected before continuing.

So its connect and you can start inputing the values against actions in FS.
Click Edit and then put the cursor in the 'Note Box' relating to the function you want to control and then push the button or move the encoder or fader you want to assign to it. Then you will see a number appear. This could be anything from 1 to 127. You can control 127 differt features in FS from midi.

I will at some point make aproper guide to using midi with FS.

Hope this is of some help to you
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
NBT

Post by NBT »

ja ok...

now i have another problem....

i can say Button 1-8 is Cue 1-8, that works....

but i dont find in the FS midisetup a function to say when i press Button XY in my BCF2000 i had a second Level with Button 1-8 for Cue 9-16....

in the older FS version that was no problem, all Functions included and filled out....i had nothing to do...plug in and play....

now only problems :(

may anybody had a ready .fms for me? :)
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

You need to make the syx file for the bcf do what YOU want.

Your BCF has pages. You could setup page 1 with midi note / channel values relavant to the fisrt 8 cues and page 2 can be setup with different values.
I think you can have 99 pages in all but you will run out of midi channels before running out of pages!

My syx file is setup like this.... Only the fader values change on each page. This means that all the buttons and encoders do the same job no matter what page im on.

Page 1 - Faders used for first 8 sequence speeds (I only need the first 8). Everything else stays the same
Page 2 - Manual overides for 8 channel fixture (meaning in a show I can select a moving head use it as a follow spot or something) Everything else stays the same
Page 3 - 8 DMX channels (I use these for dimmers mostly, channels can be assigned anywhere from 1 to 512) Everything else stays the same

If you interested to know here is how the other functions are assigned....

Encoders
1- Submaster intensity 1 on rotate and toggle run/stop sm 1 on push
2 - Submaster intensity 2 on rotate and toggle run/stop sm 2 on push
3 - Submaster intensity 3 on rotate and toggle run/stop sm 3 on push
4 - Submaster intensity 4 on rotate and toggle run/stop sm 4 on push
5 - Submaster intensity 5 on rotate and toggle run/stop sm 5 on push
6 - Spare rotate and spare push
7 - Master speed on rotate - spare on push
8 - Master intensity on rotate - spare on push

Buttons under encoders
First 5 sets (ten buttons, one above another) setup to navigate the submasters go and back.
The next 3 sets (6 buttons) are assigned for various stuff like open sound, open fog, tap sync etc.
The 4 button marked on the BCF as encoder groups are setup on the first 4 overide buttons
The group of 4 below that allow control of 4 submaster pages
The 2 below that change the bcf pages
The 4 below that toggle favorite, release all, blackout and freeze

The is little point in me uploading the file (fms) that tells FS what to do with the incoming commands from the BCF.
Its easy enough to do for yourself and MY file wont be what everyone wants. Infact I need to make some changes myself.

If you get really stuck I'll think about making a file for you that will maybe do what you need but its always better to have a good go at it yourself.

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

dmxlighting wrote: The 2 below that change the bcf pages
How do u know which page u are on?

And by the way. I believe you only have 5 MIDI pages plus the shift function
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
NBT

Post by NBT »

ok...

you can close the thread....

my probs are out of the world...

now it works ;)
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

LJ_krede.dk wrote:
dmxlighting wrote: The 2 below that change the bcf pages
How do u know which page u are on?

And by the way. I believe you only have 5 MIDI pages plus the shift function

LJ - Yes its 5 pages plus shift in FS - I was meaning there are 99 BCF pages avalible and I know what page im on as the BCF tells me.
There is no way to know what page FS is on but I only use the first FS midi page in FS.

:oops: EDIT - There is actually only 32 BCF pages not 99 as I previously said.

Return to “BCF2000”