These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Sound2Light & DMX400 question

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Svend
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.01
I Use FreeStyler for: Film
Twitter: twitter.com/

Sound2Light & DMX400 question

Post by Svend »

Hello all,

I've recently begun experimenting with Freestyler and so far I'm pretty impressed with all the features compared to my current Botex 1224 DMX Controller. I'm will be using Freestyler to sort out lighting in my private bar area/gameroom. I'm currently using a few par cans and an old Futurlight scan (which I managed to get up and running with the fixturecreator without any problems 8-) ). I have only discovered 1 disadvantage so far, and that is that running sequencues or cues in a predefined order (I'm not referring to Multicue here) does not seem possible.

Anyway, I have two questions:

- I want to use the DMX 400 to run different chases on my par cans. The cans are connected to a Eurolite 4 channel Dimmerpack. When trying to enable DMX400 the program says that I can't use it because no Intensity Channel is set. Will creating a custom fixture only using 1 intensity channel (times 4) serve as a workaround for this problem? Eg. each dimmerchannel becomes an independant fixture.

- Secondly, I'm using Winamp to play music over a Sigmatel C-Major soundcard which is in my laptop. The soundcard is selected in the Sound2Light module, however, it does not register any sound. Same results apply when using Mediaplayer. I checked my sound settings, nothing seems to be disabled. Is there anything extra I need to do to get my soundcard to communicate with Freestyler?

Any info is welcome
Last edited by Svend on July 19th, 2009, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Sound2Light & DMX400 question

Post by dmxlighting »

Hi Svend and welcome to Freestyler Forum.

As regards the par can problem, what you say is correct. You need to consider each can as a fixture rather than the dimmer pack. Then set each can to a channel number for the dmx400.

As for the s2l problem. As far as I know you need and external sound source like a linein or mic. Thats the only way I can get it to work.
Also I dont think you can use sound triggering in dmx400.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Svend

Post by Svend »

I installed Freestyler on another laptop, S2L there works straight from the Realtek-soundcard, although the soundbar only shows very limited output. Back at home I'll try to loop the sound back into the line-in (I already have such a construction, but it's being fed into my Botex 1224).

Sound triggering to DMX400 is possible. The help file says so and I got it up and running on the Realtek-equipped laptop with DMX 400. What a wonderful piece of software this is, no more endless programming using sliders :fs:
Svend

Post by Svend »

I've managed to get 2SL working when looping the line-out back to the line-in of the laptop using a splitter between the line-out and my amplifier. This however results in a significant signal loss to one of my speakers and I'm unable to solve that.

Does anyone have an idea if beat-detection from Winamp is in the works for Freestyler?
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

Older versions of fs worked with winamp but it was scrapped.
I would guess it caused problems or Raph would have left it in.
Older versions are still downloadable from the forum, not sure which one u need!
You could try using a mic with your laptop to pick up sounds. I've tried it and that works well.
Useful when working with a band and can't get a direct feed form the mixing desk.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
burzelmann
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1

Post by burzelmann »

Ehm... aren't you able to select your input source on your soundcard driver?
If you are, simply select (don't exactly what it's called in English but in German it's called) Stereomix instead of Microphone or Line-In.
Your Sound2Light module should then get something...

Return to “FreeStyler Software”