These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Master /Slave or what?

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
Kai-Uwe
DJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting
Twitter: twitter.com/

Master /Slave or what?

Post by Kai-Uwe »

Hi,

at this time i only use all my fixtures with different adresses. So now i got a question about the Master /Slave Modus. Maybe i can get some free some DMX-Adresses....

When i put a fixture in Master Modus und another one ore more of the same type in slave Modus can thy be in the same DMX-Chain? How do they "know" with fixture is the Master? For example: 4 Scanner (Adress 1-7) (1 Master and 3 Slaves) and 4 LED RGB (Adress 8-12) (1 Master and 3 Slaves) in the same DMX-Chain. Did that work on one DMX-Line? did the Slave Scanners "know" that they have to "listen" to the Master-Scanner and not the the Master LED Lamp?

Or what does Master/Slave mean?

Greetings Kai-Uwe

Vista - Virus Inside Switch To Apple
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Master /Slave or what?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

I think yo have understand Master/slave correctly: one Master controls the slaves.

But i dont think it is a good idea to connect two different masters on same chain. the master is sending dmx values to the slaves on certain channels. if both of your Master is using the same channels, the second master on the chain may overwrite the first master. to be sure I will suggest you use separate chains for each type of lamps

any ways you can do some test and se ow it works:

connect one scanner in master mode and one LED RGB in slave mode --> now you should see if the LED RGB get dmx values from the scanner. If yes, maybe it looks cool :D

i have a Enttec USB DMX Pro interface which has a DMX input, so i tested my Powerbars (4 chnnels) to see which channels they used, and that was 509-512, so in theoy i could have them on my chain and stil use channels 1-508 doe other lights.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

You can always connect all fixtures of the same kind to the same address and they behave exactly the same but are controlled by DMX from a desk or program such as FreeStyler.
I second what Onge says. I use several of the same lights with the same address to make multiple fixtures do the same thing without using the master slave mode on the light. Run the daisy chain just like you would if they were addressed differently.
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Post by matt »

I would recommend making all the Fixtures diffrent Addresses and then cue'ing or Grouping them together.. This way if you do want to control them separately during a show, you can.. unless you have over 512 channels....
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Shannon D wrote:
You can always connect all fixtures of the same kind to the same address and they behave exactly the same but are controlled by DMX from a desk or program such as FreeStyler.
I second what Onge says. I use several of the same lights with the same address to make multiple fixtures do the same thing without using the master slave mode on the light. Run the daisy chain just like you would if they were addressed differently.
some lights can be set to invert pan and tilt, inverting pan on every second light will give a great effect.

you can also choose to that every second light have same address. there's a lot of opportunities to save some DMX channels, just have to be creative

Here's a video where the four scanners are running master/slave on one daisy chain and the flowers on another
matt wrote:I would recommend making all the Fixtures diffrent Addresses and then cue'ing or Grouping them together.. This way if you do want to control them separately during a show, you can.. unless you have over 512 channels....
this will not solve Kai-Uwe's problem, he wants to free some DMX channels
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”