These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Supported Devices

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
chuckpuckett
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Supported Devices

Post by chuckpuckett »

Hello,
Brand new to the forum. Actually not a Freestyler user yet, but could not find answers to my questions on the Freestyler home page or support page, so this seems the logical place to ask. I am deciding whether to become a Freestyler user, and the question hinges on a couple of things.

Primarily, where can one find a list of supported USB/DMX interfaces? (Oops, just found this on the Download page)

Secondly, does it specifically support the Velleman VM116? (it's not listed there, but another Velleman product is)

Thirdly (and this is a bit more ambiguous): I am only interesting in designing and running lights in a (small) theatre situation. I would like to know how users feel this software stacks up for capabilities and ease of use in (1) designing and then (2) running the lights for a show. My situation is typically one person running lights and sound (like I said, a small theatre), and I place a great store in letting that person concentrate on the show and the script, and just pressing NEXT (or whatever) for the next cue. I have s/w that makes that possible for sound, and am looking for s/w + USB/DMX solution for the lighting.

I guess if Freestyler does not support the VM116, or if you think the s/w is inappropriate for my intended use, I'd appreciate any suggestions for other possibilities.

Thanks in advance or any help.

Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show... I only want to borrow it for awhile"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com

chuckpuckett
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Re: Supported Devices

Post by chuckpuckett »

Andre,
Indeed it does help, and thanks for the timely information. Just a couple of questions more:

1. In most situations, I would never be running more than 20 fixtures, though 5-6 might be LED, and would take 4 channels each. So, worst case would be maybe 36 channels. Do you think the VM116 would handle that?

2. Some of your comments seems to imply a Pro version of Freestyler, but I see no distinction on the website. In fact, I don't see a "Pro" version at all. If that's what you meant, can you point me to a list of feature comparisons? IN particular, I think you mentioned a cue limit. What's the freebie limit?

3. Finally, besides the Enttec (which looks very nice, but goes for twice the list price of the Velleman), do you have any other recommendations? And also, other software. I'm looking for low-mid price range. Not afraid to spend money, but (especially in today's economy) would rather make the best choice first time out of the chute. Disposable income is much less disposable these days. :(

Thanks again

Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show... I only want to borrow it for awhile"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: Supported Devices

Post by remco_k »

chuckpuckett wrote:Andre,
Indeed it does help, and thanks for the timely information. Just a couple of questions more:

1. In most situations, I would never be running more than 20 fixtures, though 5-6 might be LED, and would take 4 channels each. So, worst case would be maybe 36 channels. Do you think the VM116 would handle that?
It can handle that, although it gets slower the more channels you are using. You will notice the delay with this interface.
Althoug it is small, one day you will get sick of that.
See one of many topics I spended on this: http://www.freestylersupport.com/fsforu ... =12&t=1042
It all goes down to this; the interface is to slow.
If you need more info just search for K8062 and you'll see many topics about this interface.
Some more info is here: http://www.thedmxwiki.com/dmx_usb_inter ... m116_k8062
2. Some of your comments seems to imply a Pro version of Freestyler, but I see no distinction on the website. In fact, I don't see a "Pro" version at all. If that's what you meant, can you point me to a list of feature comparisons? IN particular, I think you mentioned a cue limit. What's the freebie limit?
Onge ment the pro version of the Enttec interface, FreeStyler has just one version: the free one.
So, there is no limit.
The Enttec USB DMX pro has an processor onboard wich 'creates' the DMX signal, the Enttec Open DMX has not, just like the Velleman and many other cheaper DMX interfaces. And over and over again topics arise with some problems with these processorless interfaces.
3. Finally, besides the Enttec (which looks very nice, but goes for twice the list price of the Velleman), do you have any other recommendations? And also, other software. I'm looking for low-mid price range. Not afraid to spend money, but (especially in today's economy) would rather make the best choice first time out of the chute. Disposable income is much less disposable these days. :(
If you intend to use FreeStyler + Interface professionally, regardless of the size of your DMX universe, I'dd really say: Take the Enttec USB DMX Pro. I know it's about twice the price of the K8062 kit, but it is worth it.

What you migt want to do is try out FreeStyler 'offline'. You can install FreeStyler together with Sunlite 3d easy view (is an option within the FreeStyler setup), then in FreeStyler select a virtual DMX interface, create a small test light show, start 3d easy view using the 3d button in FreeStyler. Create your space there too, install the light, and you'll be able to actually see in a virtual room how your show looks. And it comes pretty close to real life.
This way you might be able to find out if FreeStyler is suited for you.
Also in the FreeStyler setup, there you can find the list of supported interfaces. As far as I know, there is no list to be found online. Maybe someone should make that one day.

Either way, when using DMX interfaces this rule goes up most of the time: "If its to cheap to be true, it probably is"
And yes, some cheap DMX interfaces might work pretty well. But in a professional environment, you need to be sure.
Next to that, Among others ,the Enttec and Velleman interfaces are supported by more free DMX control software.
Furthermore there are using on this forum that use the Enttec open DMX successfully, wich is even cheaper than the Velleman K8062 kit. Still I don't know if it has or has not (big) delays.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl

Return to “FreeStyler Software”