These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

DMX Cable Length

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Re: DMX Cable Length

Post by remco_k »

Tom wrote:Out of curiosity what LX work do you do? Is it DJ stuff? If it is then I can see why you would only come across 3 pin. Like i've said - the robe 700's are on 5 pin as are all high end fixtures.
Not sure what you mean by LX. But I guess you are asking me for what type of events I do the light show?
You are right, until now the only event type is with DJ's playing their songs and mixing on the beat. So every few minutes, its a surprise to me of what is coming next. Thats why I love this to do and thats why its quite handy I know just about all songs they are playing. And somehow, if there's a new song I never heard before, I am actually able to predict if a beat break is coming up, or not... :mrgreen:
Without that knowledge I could not do that "job". Going offtopic, I realise.

Its all mobile equipment, all rented, all pretty low-budget (Among others a bunch of Robe clubspot 150-ct most of the time). Link

However, some day we had rented the JB Varyscan P3 (not from the brand JB-Systems...) , could say those are pretty high end too, right? Link
These fixtures had 3-pin and 5-pin XLR, I see now on their website.

So I guess you have a point. Maybe the high end equipment is fitted more with 5-pin XLR than low-end, who have 3 pin XLR.

Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
Tom
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 2.95f

Post by Tom »

Not sure what you mean by LX. But I guess you are asking me for what type of events I do the light show?
LX is just an abbreviation for Lighting. LX Tape - Lighting tape. LX desk - Lighting desk. You get the idea.
You are right, until now the only event type is with DJ's playing their songs and mixing on the beat. So evey few minutes, its a surprise to me of what is coming next. Thats why I love this to do and thats why its quite handy I know just about all songs they are playing. And somehow, if there's a new song I never heard before, I am actually able to predict if a beat break is coming up, or not... :mrgreen:
Without that knowledge I could not do that "job".
Completely different to me then! :D I do lots of theatre based work at school and for local am-dram groups, I've also done it at our theatre in town before (700 seater). However I do sometimes live band gigs - had one a few weeks ago actually. Yes I can predict what is comming too - probably becuase I play lots of instruments and have a solid music background!
Its all mobile equipment, all rented, all pretty low-budget (Among others a bunch of Robe clubspot 150-ct most of the time).
That's what I meant earlier - typically all the cheaper disco stuff is what is fitted with 3 pin XLR. Never used the 150 but I have used the 170 - also cheap high end disco gear rather than high end theatre/gig gear. It also uses 3 pin.
However, some day we had rented the JB Varyscan P3 (not from the brand JB-Systems...) , could say those are pretty high end too, right?
That's more the kind of thing. However I don't use JB Systems - This is what I use by Robe. http://www.robe.cz/default.aspx?content ... 356457ee73
So I guess you have a point. Maybe the high end equipment is fitted more with 5-pin XLR than low-end, who have 3 pin XLR.
Yes. Basically the cheaper lower end gear is 3 pin. All the high quality stuff is 5 to conform with DMX-512A standards. The high end Martins, the high end Robes and Vari*Lite.
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

Tom wrote:
However, some day we had rented the JB Varyscan P3 (not from the brand JB-Systems...) , could say those are pretty high end too, right?
That's more the kind of thing. However I don't use JB Systems
So I thought, I type that the brand JB is not the same as JB-Systems...
Still you struggle with it... :mrgreen: (I did to, in the beginning...)
I can imagine that people not so into LX (learned something new here), are mixing them up also.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Tom
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by Tom »

I didn't mean JB Systems at all - They do infact do speakers and stuff I believe!
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

Tom wrote:I didn't mean JB Systems at all - They do infact do speakers and stuff I believe!
They do, and next to that, they have also lights... So JB and JB-Systems are way to often mixed up with eachother, wich is a shame because JB is one of the better brands, and JB-Systems is a budget brand.
Tom
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by Tom »

JBL Pro do indeed do nice speaker stuff.

Never used a JB Lighting product. Martin, Robe and High End for me at the minute (fixture wise). I have used Zero 88, Avolites (lovely) and ETC lighting desks.
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

I know this is a old thread now but to settle the argument.....

There is absolutly no reason why 5pin is better than 3pin. The only reason 5pin came about for use on lighting was that Pulsar (one of the originators of the 512 protocal) thought it would be useful to be able to send 0v to 10v signal down the same wire (provided the cable has the 2 extra cores).
Since virtually nobody ever did this 5pin XLR connectors were not needed as dmx only needs 3 pins and 3 wires (common on pin1 hot on pin3 and cold on pin2) (note that some products are pin2 hot). As 5pin xlr's are way more expensive than 3pin it has become the norm. to find 3pin connections on fixtures.
The higher end market tends to continue using 5pin more out of habbit that anything as does most lighting controll.

A lot of hardcore lighting guys still like to use 5pin and belive that 3pin is an audio connector and that all lighting should ONLY use 5pin.

Also I would like to point out that there is no real problem using 'mic' cable to connect fixtures, provided its a screen, balanced cable there wil not be any issues.
Someone said that cat5e cable was usually used on installations to carry dmx. also not really true. I install systems in clubs and I only ever use a good quality universal 1 pair and screen. Cat5 will work no problem but its not common place to use it. I guess its cheaper?.

Ive had my 10p's worth now!
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

I was not refering to the actual standard. I was refering to the argument about is 3pins better that 5pins.
My point was there is no advantage in using 5pin other that the one you point out about not blowing stuff up by connecting into an audio circuit or vice versa.
You would have to be a total numpty to do that! lol

I would hazzard a guess that most FS users would only have access to 3pin fixtures as most mid and lower price kit only has this.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
remco_k

Post by remco_k »

dmxlighting wrote:I was not refering to the actual standard. I was refering to the argument about is 3pins better that 5pins.
My point was there is no advantage in using 5pin other that the one you point out about not blowing stuff up by connecting into an audio circuit or vice versa.
This (or similar) is stated earlier. Thats maybe why Onge misunderstood you.
But what you are saying is so right.
You would have to be a total numpty to do that! lol
As far as I'm concerned a mistake like that is easily made.
Take a snake with a box with several 3 pin XLR's on it. Some people use 1 wire for DMX transmission. The rest is all audio, sometimes with phantom power (48V=).
Now it is a simple mistake of plugging into the wrong XLR and you are the numpty. But you can destroy your fixtures and controller with that error.
Still its a stupid error though. Never actually heard of someone doing this.
I would hazzard a guess that most FS users would only have access to 3pin fixtures as most mid and lower price kit only has this.
Thats not quite true.
I work with many fixtures (rentals), varying from expensive Moving heads (various brands, among others Martin and JB-Lighting (not JB-systems(!)) to cheap ass Showtec led-bars.
There's no way to predict a 3 or 5 pin is available.
In fact, on the cheap Showtec, they are both.
On the expensive moving heads it varies. Sometimes there's just a 3 pin connector, sometimes a 5 pin and sometimes both. It seems that the weather on the day of production decides what they put in. :mrgreen:

But still, it does not have any technical advantage. At all. So just make sure you have enough 5 to 3 and 3 to 5 pin changers.
Mattotone
Android Dev (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: BETA
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by Mattotone »

It happens i had a drummer plug his snare mic into the dmx line before, and complained his mic was clicking, took me a while to figure out as every thing was switched off, apart from the laptop.
Freestyler Addons www.120db.uk
Free Dropbox. 2GB account http://db.tt/J4c5G8C
$100 free credit @DigitalOcean Private Server: https://m.do.co/c/5c4a7c7d6693
Freestyler Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rts.fs1024
Sandra06
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Post by Sandra06 »

Cable that was well built and of high quality materials. This will ensure that the cable will last as long as possible. A high quality cable transmits signals of high quality for longer. Cables done wrong can degrade the audio signal. It is also helpful if the materials of the cable is designed to be rolled up easily, especially if you are moving and storage of the cable a lot.

crimping tool
jpk
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/dmxking

Post by jpk »

dmxlighting wrote:I know this is a old thread now but to settle the argument.....

There is absolutly no reason why 5pin is better than 3pin. The only reason 5pin came about for use on lighting was that Pulsar (one of the originators of the 512 protocal) thought it would be useful to be able to send 0v to 10v signal down the same wire (provided the cable has the 2 extra cores).
Since virtually nobody ever did this 5pin XLR connectors were not needed as dmx only needs 3 pins and 3 wires (common on pin1 hot on pin3 and cold on pin2) (note that some products are pin2 hot). As 5pin xlr's are way more expensive than 3pin it has become the norm. to find 3pin connections on fixtures.
The higher end market tends to continue using 5pin more out of habbit that anything as does most lighting controll.

A lot of hardcore lighting guys still like to use 5pin and belive that 3pin is an audio connector and that all lighting should ONLY use 5pin.

Also I would like to point out that there is no real problem using 'mic' cable to connect fixtures, provided its a screen, balanced cable there wil not be any issues.
Someone said that cat5e cable was usually used on installations to carry dmx. also not really true. I install systems in clubs and I only ever use a good quality universal 1 pair and screen. Cat5 will work no problem but its not common place to use it. I guess its cheaper?.

Ive had my 10p's worth now!
*Now* it's an old thread LOL

OK so the using 'mic' cable thing isn't right. Here's 2 serious issues.
1. Wrong impedance for DMX512 transmission. It will work but you'll never get the same distance.
2. Mic cables have the shield connected to the connector case. DMX cables don't.

Almost all DMX splitter/isolation devices don't anticipate you having pin 1 connected to the connector case and in fact some will not actually provide any isolation if you're using mic cables. Also watch out for 3-5pin XLR adapters as some make the pin1 to case connection too.
http://DMXking.com USB DMX and ArtNet interfaces.

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”