These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

MIDI Control Problems

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Hambone
Band Member
FreeStyler Version: Beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

MIDI Control Problems

Post by Hambone »

I'm running FreeStyler 3.0.1 on an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop (Vista Home Premium x64) with an Enttec Open DMX interface to control a relatively large system. It all works great, but now I'm trying to add MIDI control and have run into some difficulties.

My MIDI setup:

ART X-15 Ultrafoot
Yamaha MIDI USB interface
MIDI-OX
LoopBe1 Virtual Interface

I use MIDI-OX to translate program change data from the X-15 into MIDI note-on/note-off messages through the LoopBe1 interface to FreeStyler. So for example when I select Patch 1 (MIDI Program 0) on the X-15, MIDI-OX sends MIDI Note 0 on with velocity of 127 to FreeStyler, then after a 250ms delay it sends MIDI Note 0 off with a velocity of 0. This configuration seems to work well, for example I can set a patch for Submaster 1 Go and another for Submaster 1 Back, and when I select those patches, Submaster 1 will move forward or backward as expected. I've also configured the Bypass button on the controller to work with the blackout feature in FreeStyler.

I'm having two problems, however. The first is that while FreeStyler recognizes and allows me to assign MIDI Note 0 to a control, in use it seems to completely ignore it. I can get around this by just not using MIDI Note 0, but it's a bit annoying - is there a way to get around this?

The second problem is that when I assign a note to one of the Toggle Submaster functions, that note will run the submaster on the first press, but will not stop the submaster on subsequent presses - the only way I can stop it is to click the Stop button using the mouse. After doing that, pressing the note will run the submaster again... Basically what I'm saying is that from what I can tell, the Toggle Submaster X functions behave as Run Submaster X, with no functionality available for a Stop Submaster X. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a way to get around it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-----
HP Pavilion dv7-1130us Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on 2 GHz AMD Turion X2, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI Radeon HD3200 video) with an Enttec PRO interface
http://two-for-flinching.com
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: MIDI Control Problems

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Hambone wrote:The second problem is that when I assign a note to one of the Toggle Submaster functions, that note will run the submaster on the first press, but will not stop the submaster on subsequent presses - the only way I can stop it is to click the Stop button using the mouse. After doing that, pressing the note will run the submaster again... Basically what I'm saying is that from what I can tell, the Toggle Submaster X functions behave as Run Submaster X, with no functionality available for a Stop Submaster X. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a way to get around it?
as Freestyler is now, you can't stop a submaster via Midi.. I have asked Raph some time ago if he would change this so you can use one midi note to start and stop a submaster, i will ask him again and say we are at least two guys who wants this ;) i'm a beta tester so i will try to find out if it is done in the next release

An alternative is to set the intensity to zero when you want to stop the submaster, or make a sequence that stops the certain fixtures you have in the submaster.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report

Return to “FreeStyler Software”