These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Programming help

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
djdougatl
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.0
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/

Programming help

Post by djdougatl »

Hello all,

I have freestyler and love it. Last night I had a great set up for lighting and used my new martin scx 600 and 2 elation design spots. Perfect set up for the dance floor. I worked all week on setting the lights up in my 3d viewer. When I got to the venue, none of them worked correctly. I spent more time at the venue trying to set them up again. Nothing worked as it should. I am getting really frustrated with the whole thing. I have read the guide and set up everything correctly but it still never seems to work correctly.
I see videos of lighting that matches music so well but I can't seem to get it. I need information on fade times, scene times, pan and tilt speed.
I set up cues and get to a venue and nothing works.

Help Help Help. Is it really this hard?

Thanks,
DJ Doug

Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: Programming help

Post by Shannon D »

The first thing I would do is set up the lights at home or somewhere and work with the lights directly. Build some sequences and cues to work through any issues you may have. Set up some submasters and play with that too. Once everything works the way you expect it using the lights, then try to work with the 3d viewer to see what may be wrong there. You need to get one issue fixed before moving on to the next. I personnally don't use the 3d viewer because I have alot of LED lights that don't work well in the 3d viewer.
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Programming help

Post by dmxlighting »

Did you address your fixtures EXACTLY in the real world as you did on the 3D veiwer?

An easy mistake would be to address them all backwards to how you programmed it via 3D.

Generly speaking FS will play back the DMX value its been programmed to do.
The only real major differences from virtual to real world are...

The profile for the fixture in 3D is not very accurate. ? The view is pretty good for most stuff and will give you a fairly good idea what things will really look likeif
its setup correctly.
Beam angles and positions are hard to judge in 3D. The more you play in the real world the better it is to judge.
Your PC / Laptop or DMX interface are not upto the job. Ive found some interfaces that are just rubbish! Also you are always asking alot of you PC when running this kinda softawe. Make sure your machine is of a high spec -this will help.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “FreeStyler Software”