These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Help triggering Sequences from MIDI

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
PaulF707
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Help triggering Sequences from MIDI

Post by PaulF707 »

Hi all

I'm very new to Freestyler, just working out the best way to use it with my set up.

I've managed to create a couple of test sequences, and loaded them into the Cue window.

I've then assigned a few midi notes to Sequence 1, Sequence 2 etc.

I haven't used multiselect (because I don't need this), and when I click on the play buttons next to the sequences, or use the relevant midi notes, the sequences will start / stop
If sequence 1 is running, and i click start for seq 2, then seq 2 starts and seq 1 stops (which is perfect). This also works from Midi.

However, if i set up Seq 1 and Seq 2 to work with Sound to Light, this seems to revert back to Multi select mode.
If I select seq 1 it starts, if I then select seq 2 it also starts but seq 1 appears to keep running. The icons on the start stop buttons don't stay as playing, but the step counter (1:10, 2:10 etc) keeps running for both sequences.
(this behaviour is the same if I use Midi or the Mouse to stop start sequences)

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong??

My second issue relates to how I want to use the software.

My intention is to send Midi notes to Freestyler at the start of each song to select the appropriate sequence. I'm not planning on having a separate seq for each song (especially as I can use Sound to Light to vary the tempos).
However, if two consecutive songs use the same sequence, then Freestyler will turn off the sequence when the second song starts.
Is there anyway to set it up so that there is always one seq playing, and if it receives a second command for the current sequence it simply keeps playing rather than turning it off?
Alternativley, is there a midi command I can send just prior to the seq1 command that will stop all running sequences (to avoid this problem)?

Many thanks,

Glen K
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/

Re: Help triggering Sequences from MIDI

Post by Glen K »

Maybe it's your type of cues, "transparent" vs "static" that are causing the issues?

I barely, and I mean barely know what I'm doing in FS, however I do have my show setup and running via midi from my Roland FC-200 controller. Some of my cues also use sound to light, albiet internally in the fixture for the audio (not via the computer mic through the program) but it seems to all work fine. I did all my cues in "static" mode, as I didn't want any overlaps at least for starters. I left a message over at the Harmony Central lighting forum. However here is a quote from someone else on the subject I'm talking about. Maybe it's relevant to your issues:

"yes is totaly diferent tranparent to static, when you want to run more than one sequence at the same time, you need to create in tranparent mode, the channels you do not select will not do anything, and you can override the channels you want without stop the sequence. but if you use static will only run the channels selected in the sequence, the others will "stop". if you override with a step(sequence) created in static, of course will stop and only act to the override button."

This link isn't for Freestyler (it's for Martin LJ), but it describes it well and probably applies to FS in a similar way. After reading it I now understand the differences better in the cue modes.

http://www.ukslc.org/articles/monthly_f ... e_-_4.html
PaulF707
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Re: Help triggering Sequences from MIDI

Post by PaulF707 »

Thanks for the thoughts...

My sequences were transparent, so I've just created some static ones as well to try those.

They behave exactly the same - when using sound to light the sequences all keep playing until turned off.

Any other ideas?

Return to “FreeStyler Software”