These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Can only create cues "offline" and having fade issues?

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
Glen K
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3.0.1
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/

Can only create cues "offline" and having fade issues?

Post by Glen K »

As much as I try I just don't have any luck making the cues "online" like shown in the video tutorials. I'm controlling x4 Chauvet 200Bs and 1 "4BAR". Even with the sliders up and the lights blazing the DMX values don't ever seem to "print" onto the saved "sequence" files. Once I open them in the offline editor they are always full of "zeros" even when the lights were on when I saved them. The only way I've been able to make working cues is to edit/create them "offline" and insert values manually (like 255 for full on) into the DMX value boxes. That at least is one workaround I've found for making it work. Any tips?

I also notice in the "offline editor" the DMX value boxes change color from yellow, green, red. Any idea what these colors stand for?

"static vs transparent" cues...hmm? (Sorry a true noob here...)

Another issues is with fades. I have made several functioning cues. However as much as I try to edit the fade and speed timings the fades are always the same about 1 second. They never "snap" mind you, but always have about 1 second fades to the next activated cue no matter the set "fade" value. The edited values show my attempted changes upwards, but the lights don't fade any differently no matter what the values say. Am I tweaking the wrong thing in the editor to slow the fades down?

Another oddity I've found. When I install Freestyler the Cue panel doesn't function UNTIL after I "reset freestyler to the default values". Even with total uninstall, FS directory deletion, plus a fresh reinstall of FS I still have to "reset to defaults" to get the Cue panel to operate for the first time. Odd...

Sorry for all my questions! At least I'm making some progress and am truly thankful for the help I've received so far folks!

I'll admit the computer I'm attempting this on is a very marginal however brand new computer. An HP 1030NR "Netbook" running Win XP, Intel ATOM 1.6ghz CPU, 1meg ram, 533mhz front side bus, and an "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950" for graphics. It doesn't seem to strugle with FS and seems stable, though in the 3D visualizer I can only get the par cans to "light up", but no beams or even bars of light come out...

LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Can only create cues "offline" and having fade issues?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

Glen K wrote:As much as I try I just don't have any luck making the cues "online" like shown in the video tutorials. Even with the sliders up and the lights blazing the DMX values don't ever seem to "print" onto the saved "sequence" files. Once I open them in the offline editor they are always full of "zeros". The only way I've been able to make working cues is to edit/create them "offline" and insert values manually (like 255 for full on) into the DMX value boxes. That at least is one workaround I've found for making it work. Any tips?
I think you are doing something wrong, try this:

1) open the "create Sequence" window
2) Mark the fixtures you want to make a sequence for
3) adjust your fixture with the slider in each window or at the right where you can see all the sliders
4) You should see the Off-button change to either Snap or Fade. you can change them by clicking on them.
5) Now you have created the first step in a sequence and you can save it or make a new step by clicking on the plus sign (Add Scene)
repeat step 3-4 to make more steps

I also notice in the "offline editor" the DMX value boxes change color from yellow, green, red. Any idea what these colors stand for?
the colors stands for:
Red = Off
Yellow = Snap
Green = Fade

Another issues is with fades. I have made several functioning cues. However as much as I try to edit the fade and speed timings the fades are always the same about 1 second. They never "snap" mind you, but always have about 1 second fades no matter the set "fade" value. The edited values show my attempted changes upwards, but the lights don't fade any differently no matter what the values say. Am I tweaking the wrong thing in the editor to slow the fades down?
you can adjust which function (sliders) have to fade and which have to snap.
After setting DMX values, you have to set the channel behavior by pressing the Fade/snap buttons.
Fade means that it will take a time to reach the next step's value (progressive).
Snap means it will instantly go the next step's value.
Off means the DMX channel is not affected

I recommend you read the help file in the Freestyler Program, all what I told you and more is described in this file

Another oddity I've found. When I install Freestyler the Cue panel doesn't function UNTIL after I "reset freestyler to the default values". Even with total uninstall, FS directory deletion, plus a fresh reinstall of FS I still have to "reset to defaults" to get the Cue panel to operate for the first time. Odd...
I dont have this problem and have never seen it. its the same problem as descriped in this topic

Report it so it can be fixed
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
Glen K

Post by Glen K »

Thank you so much! Right away my 1st problem was simply doing the first 3 steps out of order. I was throwing up the light sliders first, instead of:
1) open the "create Sequence" window
2) Mark the fixtures you want to make a sequence for
3) adjust your fixture with the slider in each window or at the right where you can see all the sliders

Now the Yellow/green/red all makes sense in the offline editor.

I'm sure I will make alot of progress tomorrow. Thank you for the quick assistance!
Glen K

Post by Glen K »

Yep, should have read the "create sequence" section over and over. Now I understand the "behaviour of the channel" being designated by the color of the boxes in the offline panel that match the color of the buttons in the online faders:

Red = Off
Yellow = Snap
Green = Fade.

Duh!

Most of my problems were by selecting the lights and moving the color sliders FIRST, then hitting the create sequence button. It won't work that way, even though the lights will be glowing but the program doesn't capture the settings. When I did it that way the buttons next to the sliders showing the 3 modes were greyed out.

Anyway, READ THE MANUAL READ THE MANUAL, repeat... :fs:

Return to “FreeStyler Software”