These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

encoder group buttons on the BCF2000

Questions regarding the Behringer BCF2000 controller.
ziggy2
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

encoder group buttons on the BCF2000

Post by ziggy2 »

hello everybody

on the BCF2000 you get 4 encoder-groups to programm 4 different pages of encoder-parameters

but maybe you don't use these groups (in Freestyler the MIDI-Pages do the same job and even better! ...) and you would like to use these buttons as simple toggles ; this is very easily available

you need sysex-software (there are many free softwares on the web - personnaly I use "Bome's SendX" but others are good also....)
on Macintosh, SysEx_Librarian works well

so you launch the sysex software and you configure the Midi-in and Midi-out for the Behringer BCF2000

from the BCF you do now a dump of your programm into the computer (make sure that you configured "Sngl" - to dump only the current programm and not all the programms

the Sysex data now appears in the software in the "Midi-in window"; copy the whole thing into the "Midi-out window"

on the 6th line you should see something like :
F0 00 20 32 xx xx 20 00 05 2E 65 67 72 6F 75 70 73 20 34 F7

the number 34 just before the end means 4 encoder-groups
if you change this number you'll get
F0 00 20 32 xx xx 20 00 05 2E 65 67 72 6F 75 70 73 20 31 F7 - for 1 group
F0 00 20 32 xx xx 20 00 05 2E 65 67 72 6F 75 70 73 20 32 F7 - for 2 group
F0 00 20 32 xx xx 20 00 05 2E 65 67 72 6F 75 70 73 20 33 F7 - for 3 group

so just change the number and redump the whole thing (!!) back to the BCF2000
from now on you can use the resting buttons as normal toggle (push EDIT and the buton to configure it...)
don't forget to store the programm (if not changings get lost when changing the programm or when shut-down the BCF2000)

there are some other thing we can do with sysex-data... and I will post it later-on !

and by the way with the sysex software you can backup all your programms (for nearly all your MIDI equipement)
Last edited by ziggy2 on February 25th, 2009, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: encoder group buttons on the BCF2000

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

isn't it almost the same thing as what the BCF2000 configuration file does?

When you have downloaded the configuration file (freestyler.syx) into the BCF2000 (look at this topic) you can use all the buttons as you like. the disadvantage is that the display cant show you which page you are on, so you have to use some buttons with LED for that purpose.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
ziggy2
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler

Re: encoder group buttons on the BCF2000

Post by ziggy2 »

hello LJ
this configuration file works with only one encoder group and also locks the programm and the function-buttons (may be ok for some guys but not ok for others.....)

what I propose is to chose yourself if you want
1 group button plus 3 free toggles or
2 group button plus 2 free toggles or
3 group button plus 1 free toggle

and : maybe you want to use another configuration and not this "BCF2000 configuration-file" but also have the option of using the buttons in another way....

example for myself: I use two groups plus two toggles (and I do a shortcut for MIDI-Page1 and MIDI-Page2 on the two toggle buttons ->with the feedback on the toggle it get lit when the page is "on")
I tried out this "BCF2000 configuration-file" but I prefere my own configuration which I built up....

and : there is an Sysex editor for the BCF2000 running with Java, but it doesn't work very well

itis possible also to open the SysEx file with a text code-editor like Notepad2 (for PC) or BBEdit (Mac) and change things directly in tex-mode
the line concerning the encoder-groups is:
$encoder 1 (for one group) or $encoder 4 for 4 groups and so on

here we can change other thing (in the head) like the name of the programm; the snappshot on or off ....and so on....
for example in the head you get also "fkeys" on or off; if its off, these 4 buttons are free also for other configurations (but no more acces for EDIT, LEARN, STORE and EXIT
on the next line we get "lock" off or on which locks the program (the arrow keys won't work if on is selected)

Return to “BCF2000”