These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Can not get react to sound to work in cue

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.2
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Can not get react to sound to work in cue

Post by kittmaster »

I've created 4 par cans in a chase, special, and flip flop sequence. If i loop all sequences, they work on my DP-415 to the lights. I have them set to react to sound, and using wave out to capture winamps audio to try to sound chase it. The meters in the sound app are boucing, the beat leds are there on 1x,2x etc.......however, I never get a bpm to show, ever, but the window shows beat detect.......so that is strange.

I'm using 3.5.0, on a win 7 x64 laptop.

Any ideas why it isn't reacting to sound? If I switch to mic, I see the meters react to me tapping mics.....

Need to get this sort, its the last piece to be able to use and start programming large shows for my mobile gigs.

thanks!
Chris

kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Re: Can not get react to sound to work in cue

Post by kittmaster »

Ok, let me update, it seems my two x-moves (which I don't have on hand > factory return > long story) are responding to sound on the desktop, so I guess the rules out the sound card and sound plugin as the issue. What I have is 4 par cans grouped in a chase sequence, that sequence is loaded into the cue, I would expect them to "run to the music", but they never do anything at all. I can manually control them, and they run when I hit the go arrow, but they just never respond to sound.

What am I doing wrong??????????

Please help.
Robin_N-Zone
Has mastered Fixture Creator
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by Robin_N-Zone »

Hi,

There might be a few things that could be wrong, first of, you say you have set them to react to sound, my first impression is then that you have set the fixtures themselves to react to sound?
If so, that is wrong. The fixtures dont need to react to sound, the sequences do :)
The react to sound option that you get on the fixtures is for running a simpler kind of show, and probably dont work very good or at all for LED Par cans and such. To use this option, you set the fixtures to react to sound, and then start the Sound 2 Light plugin, and in the S2L window in FS, you select the option: Random DMX values. This will generate random numbers on atleast Pan/Tilt, Gobo and Color channels on the selected fixtures, but I dont think it works for RGB fixtures.

Anyways, you dont want to do it that way :P
To make your sequences run to the music: You dont need to have the fixtures set to React to sound, so dont have that, probably doesnt make any difference, but I´m not sure, so just dont have that option ticked in:)

In the S2L window within FS, you select the option: Go to next step in Cue or something like that, in the top of the window, you can choose either that or random dmx values, make sure it set to the Cue option (dont remember exactly what its called, dont have FS on this computer :P)

Then you go to the Cue window, here you will see your different sequences loaded in the cue, otherwise, load them. If you look at each row in the Cue stack, you will see that you have a lot of options for each sequence, you have the Start/Stop, the speed, and to the right of the name of the sequence, you have a couple of symbols, a few arrows and stuff, and the one we´re looking for now, a small speaker icon. Click on the speaker icon, and the red dash across it disappears:) Then that sequence will run of the beat that S2L generates, and your lights will run:)

Play around a bit with those other options also, you can for example have the sequences react to a manual Tap (there is a Tap button in the Cue window, and you can assign it to MIDI) Can be very useful sometimes. Manual Tap is normally activated, so you can deactivate it if you f.ex want to run a few sequences to S2L beat,and Tap out a different beat by hand for some others.
You also have things like Restore Previous Value, which means that when a sequence stops, the lights will go back to whatever values they had before you started the sequence, otherwise they will just stay as they were when you stopped it.

This can be useful, just make sure you set the lights to the state you want, BEFORE you open the Cue window or start any sequences. For my ledbars and led par cans I usually set it so all RGB channels are at 0, that way they´ll turn of when I stop the sequences. I have set up my fixtures in Fixture Creator so that I dont need to do anything to get the lights to that stage, they are in the correct DMX "mode" and with RGB 0,0,0 as default, and Dimmer at 0 for those lights that have it.

Good luck
//Robin
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the detailed response. I followed through all of your responses initially and could not get it to work. So I nuked everything and reinstalled from the beginning and then tried again. I think I may have done something wrong initially because doing the same thing without all my other edits previously, the par cans now react to the sound panel. Before when I hit the trigger button, it wouldn't push the cue sequence at all, now it does. I think it was something clearly did wrong the first time using the software. Now that I have a better understanding, it all worked out.

The hardest part is learning to create light show sequences. I know what they should be, its the execution that I'm still working through.

Thanks for the help!
Chris

:fs:
Robin_N-Zone

Post by Robin_N-Zone »

Your welcome Chris!

Strange that you had to reinstall the software, but well, stranger things have happend:P

Glad you got it working!

Yeah, I know what you mean, I´m very much also in the phase of finding a good way to execute my shows, just the other day I realised something fundamental about how the sequence programming actualy works, that I hadnt really thought about before, and just assumed that it worked in a different way :P And that did help me a bit to make it smoother from show to show.
One of my "problems" is that I almost never use the exact same setup of lights and shows, since I have a small rental company, and its different rigs at different clubs each week :P Mostly I do lights for our own and other electronic music events, but every now and then we do sound and light for a small rock consert, lets say we dont bring all our lasers and 1500W strobes then ;)

//Robin
procrastinator
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5

Post by procrastinator »

Hi,

my name is Chris and i have run into a similar problem.
I managed to get the sequences in the cue list triggered by the s2l module, just as robin described above, but, they get also triggered at the interval that is in the sequence itself which gives me additional unwanted jumps.
Any hint what i could have done wrong? is there a way to program sequenzes whitout an interval? what am i missing? o0

Thanks in advance!
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9

Post by Spirit »

Hi for everyonw ho have this issue i can tell you it's SOLVED!!!!
only not on the latest Public Beta :cry:

But on the Beta Testers version so Please wait on the new Public beta and it will Work OKE! again.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator »

which version would you recommend meanwhile?
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

Any time line as to when the fixed version will be available?....What is the normal beta to release time line for these things? I started with 3.4.8 then 3.5.0 hit.....I was like......wow that was fast.....

Just looking for some history if you can provide it. Not in any super rush, just curious.

Thank you
Chris
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

hi here you have a time line.
http://www.freestylersupport.com/bugs/c ... g_page.php

but the devolper releases the latest but when he thinks its time for it..

/Spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

Cool, ty for the info, it works as it is, but it will be nice to not have the fixtures increment slowly when no sound is present.

I also can't seem to get the blackout feature to work in the sound module, I would expect all fixtures to go to 0 when winamp is paused but it doesn't.....is that part of the same problem?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

i never use s2l so no idea but i will look at it..
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

Ok cool, one of the "check box" options is to "blackout fixtures" after XXXX milli seconds, so after 2 seconds, the fixtures should turn off, but it doesn't, it stays in the last scene step of whatever is turned on.

Hope that helps.

I'm using the waveout and driving it with winamp playing a song to test it. When I pause it, the lights stop, but after 2 seconds, they never all turn off as I would expect they should.

Regards
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

hi you say they never ALL turn off.

are there fixture that Work oke and blackout after 2sec when the Music stops..?

/spirit
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

Well, I mean, suppose I have a chase running in a loop to sound, when the music stops, I would expect that all lights should "blackout" or shut off completely, until A > the music restarts B > Other sequence is selected or called.

Right now, if chasing and I pause the music, the last stepped chase light (whatever last light was on) remains on....when I start the music again, the lights start moving again where they left off.

:)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Ahh oke allmost though that just some Fixtures have a Bad programmed Blackout value...
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

can you replicate what I'm seeing?
Robin_N-Zone

Post by Robin_N-Zone »

Yeah, I updated to 3.5 last thursday, and the first test of it was on friday on my own club, worked just fine :)
Spirit, now it works with SM´s as we talked about last week, havent tried to make dimmer sequences in Snap yet, but the intensity slider on the SM´s works fine even when disabling fades, and I love that :D

But, I also have the same "issue" that sequences runs both by their speedsetting and the musicsync, havent decided that I dont like it yet, It kinda nice that something keeps happening even the breaks/drops in the music.
I´m gonna have to test some more with it, perhaps there is an easy workaround? The first things that comes to mind is to make sequences with looong steps, and run it at a low speed, then the will more or less only be triggered by the music.
Do they trigger at both their own speed and the music at the same time, or only be the music when there are beat signals? I wasent sure on friday..

Is this a bug, or a feature? :P I´d like to be able to choose if sequences should continue to run when there is no beat detected.
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator »

@Robin: You can enable the K/G option (keep going) in the s2l module to keep the sequences going even if no beat is detected.
Robin_N-Zone

Post by Robin_N-Zone »

Procrastinator, ah, okey! Thanks! hadnt seen that. Does that have anything to do with the fact that all sequences keep running, even if theres is no beat detected? In the 3.5 release that is, in 3.4.8 the sequences that were soundactivated stopped when the music stopped, thats not the case in 3.5..

In the S2L module, can you just choose if all sequences (that are soundactivated) should keep going, or can you select specific sequences? Say that I´d like to keep a gobochange going, while the moving heads them selves stops or such.
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator »

I am very new to freestyler and dmx so i dont know about previous versions.
I also thought about that, too. It would be nice if there was a button in the cue list which enables KG for each sequence individually but afaik that doesn't work jet.
kittmaster
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by kittmaster »

My old hardware controller did this also, no sound, every 5-6 seconds it would step to the next step, it was ok, and was hardware controlled, but I would think that with the sound plugins keep on going option, the normal sequencing should not be stepping if no sound is present, but also, I notice that the slider only goes to 10% as its minimum (which I think is incorrect) so mathmetically the program is correct since 1 second/10 would give the step as we are seeing.

Maybe the real answer is to allow the slider to go to zero in the cue so that only the sound will fire the scene.

To me, that makes the most logical and flexible sense.
NaGa
FreeStyler Version: 4.1.6

Post by NaGa »

Did someone found solution? I have the same issue and even after reinstalling it's doing the same thing: within "active" S2L stuck on cue 1 and don't want to move to next cue
NaGa

Post by NaGa »

Just in case here's a video:
6c62b190-d96b-41f4-b7c0-46f77abf5958.mp4
PS: I'm using v. 4.1.6, which version more stable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NaGa

Post by NaGa »

*there's no issues in 3.5.0 up to - 3.6.51 all versions stable, will wait for updates 😕

Return to “FreeStyler Software”