These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

RS485 Interfaces [SOLVED]

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
murraytm
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

RS485 Interfaces [SOLVED]

Post by murraytm »

How flexible is Freestyler in using FTDI RS485 interfaces in general?

For instance, I'm considering this one: http://www.usconverters.com/usb-rs485-adapter-cable

It's FTDI based and seems to be well made, and has drivers for everything.

What exactly does Freestyler look for when you select the Enttec Open DMX? Since it's just a protocol over a serial adapter, can just about any of those adapters be used?

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: RS485 Interfaces

Post by Spirit »

hi if i search for FT232RL i get the D2XX driver the same one as Enttec open/Pro so it seems to be the same.

and freestyler only needs a driver it doesnt know which device is connected so you can just select the enttec open.

a FTDI contoller is just a Digital to RX/TX converter.

but in the end i recommend to get a Pro version Enttec or DMXking.
i have had allot of issues (like many other poeple) with open versions.
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
murraytm

Post by murraytm »

Thanks for the info.

The first one came in and was DOA so I'm waiting on a replacement. Of course I don't take this as a good sign but at least the store has good support.

At most, I'll be running 6 fixtures on this unit (2x LED Par, 2x ADJ Mystic, 2x Chauvet Mini Kinta). I'm mostly just tinkering right now so I can't really justify the Pro version yet. If I ever start using anything more complex than this, you can bet I'll go with a better interface.
murraytm

Post by murraytm »

My replacement came in today. I've only done some quick testing with a par can but everything works.

I did find that the wires labeled A and B were backwards (either that or the polarity in my par can is backwards). When I first hooked it up, the colors were all wrong and it strobed when I tried to adjust intensity. Swapping pins 2 and 3 fixed that.

Next, there were some intermittent problems with the light flickering. I was originally using the driver that Windows loaded from Windows Update so I tried the driver from US Converter (looks like an FTDI development kit, really), and now it's working perfectly. Fades are nice and smooth and no more flickering / dropouts.

So all-in-all, I'm quite happy with this $45 usb to dmx adapter. US Converters was great through the whole process and if I understand right, this interface has some serious isolation and fault protection, so I feel a little safer using it than a lot of the other cheapy ones I've seen.

Return to “DMX Interfaces”