These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Could slow response in FS be my interface (Velleman)

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
lindsayward
Can now teach FS to others (Hopefully!)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Could slow response in FS be my interface (Velleman)

Post by lindsayward »

Hi.
I was looking at USB-DMX interfaces recently and discovered that some provide DMX timing on board (pro), while others rely on the software/PC (open). I'd like to know if upgrading my Velleman K8062 interface to something "pro" (like ultraDMX RDM Pro http://www.dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxrdmpro) might improve FreeStyler's performance.

In particular, when I tap tempo for my LED lights, it's never quite the same. I have to tap faster than the beat to have it go as fast as I want. This could be a setup issue (fades?), but maybe the interface could be part of it.

We sometimes have to unplug and reconnect the Velleman interface to get it to work, so I'd like something a bit more robust.

Thanks!

BillsGate
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 4.x
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Could slow response in FS be my interface (Velleman)

Post by BillsGate »

That definately sounds like a Vellemann-issue. I have bought several of them in the past and lately I'm replacing them by Enttec Pro's and Art-NET devices. The difference is amazing!

With a Vellemann, using tap-sync will result in slightly off-beat steps. There's a delay in pressing override buttons aswel. And strobing with some led fixtures or pan/tilt moving is just disastrous if you use more than 96 dmx channels.

Try to borrow a more pro interface from a colleague and find out for yourself.

Return to “DMX Interfaces”