These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

dmx just freezing up

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
Onge

Re: dmx just freezing up

Post by Onge »

yofo wrote:
I appreciate you knowledge and responds, but your 2 are not the only people that know about DMX, I have talked to other people also. and they don't think my idea will do any harm to the system, and after doing that tweak a couple of weeks ago on my dmx adapter, it's every much more stable now, it doesn't just go of any more for random reasons like if you turn on a fan, I just have this one problem left with my laser freezing up the dmx adapter and no one seems to know, the only tip I have got is to get a opto-isolater/splitter, but that will cost me the same price as a smart new dmx dongle
No we are not, but that comment offends me. We are trying to help and we are giving you sound knowledge, what you do with the knowledge is up to you, we are not in possesion of your rig, we can only give you things to check.
I will not bother to reply to you anymore sorry.

yofo
Pro...
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2

Post by yofo »

I don't want to offend anyone, it just feel sometimes that stuff get's pushed down my throat that isn't always correct
:?
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

yofo wrote:I don't want to offend anyone, it just feel sometimes that stuff get's pushed down my throat that isn't always correct
Who says it is'nt correct? I wil be the last guy to state I have it always right - just prove me to be wrong, then I (and you, and many others) learn something from it. :)

The problem is that you've done things that accidenlty made your rig working better. That does not mean that what you do is a good or the best thing to do. It just means your rig is working better. If you are happy with that ending, I'll (also) be the last guy wining about you connecting all grounds together.
Yes, it will and may work great, yes it might not cause any problems in the future, but yes it could harm something somewhere on one day, it also might not.
Connecting all grounds of different equipment together is never a good idea - but good for testing purposes. But if you do and it works okay and you're happy with that, then leave it that way.

Connecting all grounds together should always be classified as emergency bandage if you ask me. Just to get things up and running when you are out of time. And then afterwards try to sort out a real solution - like fixing the interface that is locking up (see the other threat where I post something about capacitors), or using an opto isolator.

At the end you are free to do with the advice we give here also its really hard to give good advise when not having the rig in our own hands looking at it with our own eyes.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
djnoelly
Knows how to turn Lights ON
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by djnoelly »

HI,

I know this thread is 3 years old but it was useful to confirm a problem for me...

i am very new to dmx and although used dmx lights and controllers for years while djing, i always had ready set up packages.

last year i bought a cheap usb>xlr dmx cable off ebay and to be fair it works perfect...Until you turn something large on like the strobe or if something gets powered down unexpectedly. Then i have to unplug the usb and restart freestyler.

If i can have the lighting and laptop on seperate phases solve the problem but in a lot of venues the power just isnt good enough...

ive just ordered the enttecc pro mk2 so lets see if that can withstand the surges.
yofo
Pro...

Post by yofo »

Not sure if I said this before, but I sorted out my problem with a opto isolator circuit, one of my old lasers crashed my dmx controller when I powered it on and maybe on, dunno anymore, and also the unit freezes up when you bump the usb cable, then its also a total unplug mission of everything, but I'm not into dmx stuff that much anymore
:?
buttza
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.6.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show
Twitter: twitter.com/@buttza

Post by buttza »

Sometimes the dry joints on the board where the USB connector is can crack so it might work at first but then drop out when it is bumped causing the unit to freeze up.

Return to “DMX Interfaces”