These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Using Freestyler for Live Band Applications

Questions and discussions regarding FreeStyler Software.
Forum rules
Please do NOT post bugs here! If you spot a potential Bug please report it HERE first then you can chat about it with other users in the appropriate section.
bassmanb
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Using Freestyler for Live Band Applications

Post by bassmanb »

Hello All,

I recently found Freestyler and Easy View 3D. I agree that these are great software applications but being an extreme newb to DMX / Computer Controlled Lighting, I am having a bit of difficulty in grasping how to take sequences to cues, then running cues in a live / band situation.

So here is my scenario: Song 1 - Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus, Out
Sequence 1 = Verse Length
Sequence 2 = Chorus
Sequence 3 = Bridge
Sequence 4 - Out (Fade / Snap) Blackout

Cue = Seq1, Seq2, Seq1, Seq2, Seq3, Seq2, Seq4

Is this correct? What is the best way to get from say song 1 to song 2 to song 3 etc....? Should I try to pipe music into the Sound to Light Module from Winamp through the line input?

I appreciate any pointers or guidance to a user guide / manual of some sort. (I already have the Tutorial Guides for Freestyler / EV 3D.)

Thanks for any assistance,
Chris B.

Dell Latitiude 110L, Pentium M 1.6 Ghz, 512MB Memory, 40GB HD, Windows XP, Open DMX USB, 3 - Chauvet Intimidator 1.0, 8 - Par 56. (Maybe more to come.)
kikabyte
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.00
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Re: Using Freestyler for Live Band Applications

Post by kikabyte »

Hi Chris,
I play in a live covers band called Krisis, and our lightshow is controlled through Freestyler.

We have two uses for Freestyler:
We have 7 Starville LED par cans DMX'd through freestyler on a sequence that is triggered by sound through the mic input (placed in the drummers bass drum). This enables us to have floods of colour that sync with the beat of the music. And more importantly, not suffer from any heat generated from BULBS
This is a perfect solution for our pub gigs.

The 7 LED par cans then DMX into moving heads, scanners, strobes, colour changes and LED strips to create a large show for big events.
I have created 20 scenes stored in the cue for every mood of every song, for instance a basic colour changing program, then strobes and big moving lights using everything.
Then I use the Behringer FB1010 midi foot controller to trigger the cue's in freestyler by midi.

That way, during the show, I have complete control of the mood of the lighting with my feet.

Hope this helps??

Regards
Chris B

Return to “FreeStyler Software”