These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

MIDI controller problems on Windows XP

Questions regarding general external control forum.
UniCav
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

MIDI controller problems on Windows XP

Post by UniCav »

My primary laptop which I use for both my Karaoke shows and for running Freestyler for our band's lights is a good, old, solid machine with Windows XP. While testing control methods for Freestyler I experimented with an Alesis QX25 and recently bought an Akai MPD18. I came upon an interesting problem I'm hoping someone else has encountered.

When testing the QX25 we found that only the control knobs would work, not any of the pads or keys. After some discussion on here it was noted that midi pads will only work if the controller sends a full 127 value on each trigger. I purchased the MPD18 because it is all pads and one slider and has a "Full Range" toggle that makes it perfect for Freestyler. You can imagine my surprise when it didn't work. Only the slider worked and none of the pads.

I then remembered that during testing the QX25, my laptop only identified it as a generic "USB Audio" device. But I had also hooked it up at work to my Win7 desktop and it identified it properly as "Alesis QX25". The keys didn't work but that's to be expected because you have to do major editing to the QX25 to get a full 127 value on them and we didn't bother. I got out my work laptop with Win7, plugged up the MPD18 and it immediately identified it as "Akai MPD18". Installed Freestyler, stuck a couple fixtures and a sequence in and set up the MIDI control and it worked flawlessly.

So my question is has anyone encountered this limitation with Windows XP. Not only is it not seeing the correct device name but it's missing device functions. I'd really like to keep using Old Faithful but right now I can't because it won't work with my controller. Any suggestions appreciated. And once again thanks to everyone on here who's made it so easy to get up and running with Freestyler. You guys rock!

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: MIDI controller problems on Windows XP

Post by Spirit »

hi got a BCF2000 and my own build midicontroller.

Both can give some errors.

if use the BCF2000 on a XP machine i need to install the drivers each time i startup the pc, it seems it doesnt store the Driver correct... allthough without drivers i also works only its shown as a "USB device"
and if i move a Slider i get BIG delay!!! on FS.
with drivers it work perfect...

my own made Midi controller works allways realy nice only if i dont install the drivers i need to press a Button +- 20 times before the Device pops up between the midi devices list..
but thats because my own midi controller has 4 midiPORTS and therefore 4 USB ports,
and Windows cant handle this.. but with the drivers it works perfect..

but maby nice to know but it doesnt neccery need to be a Velocity 127, you can chnage this on the Freestyler.ini
/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
UniCav
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: MIDI controller problems on Windows XP

Post by UniCav »

Good point Spirit about the .ini file. I had read that but one of the beautiful features of the Akai MPD18 is it has the Full Range button so I don't have to modify the file. Still can't get it to work in XP though. Only the CC# knobs and sliders work. No pad or key even sending a full 127 works. I will go ahead and modify the ini file on that box as a test anyway. It's entirely possible that the send is so short WinXP is just not seeing it because of the lag. On Win7 it's instantaneous though.

EDIT: Nope. Changed the value to 10 and then changed it to 1 and still no response.

Return to “General Midi Controllers”