These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Tascam US-2400

Questions regarding general external control forum.
jsnmllr1981
Knows how to turn Lights ON

Tascam US-2400

Post by jsnmllr1981 »

Has anyone got a Tascam US-2400 to work with freestyler?

Captain Ogre
Just started using FS
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.4
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Re: Tascam US-2400

Post by Captain Ogre »

This seems to be an older thread, but I'll post here anyway.

I got a US-428 to work with Freestyler. It's still in a testing phase, but so far i have basic functions working- Blackout control, Main Intensity set to the main fader, etc. I'm trying to develop other control functions, such as using a fader to go from LED White to LED Blue.

Yes, there's quite a lot of difference between the 2400 and the 428, but as far as MIDI function goes, I can't imagine there'd be any difference.

Here's some details about how I got it to work:

First, make sure that the drivers and firmware updates are installed. (In XP, it may try to do this three times, every time you connect it to the machine. At least this has been the scenario for me...)

Second, fire up FreeStyler, and go to Setup > FreeStyler Setup > External Control. Select the "Midi Control" option.

At the top of this window, you should see two dropdowns, both saying US-2400 Control. NOTE- they might be greyed out, but that's OK- as long as they say US-2400, FreeStyler is recognizing the device.

Now, let's try setting up the thing you want to control. For example, let's try the Main Fader for Master Intensity. So, open the Master Intensity control at the top menu bar, then go back to the External Control window. Scroll down until you find Master Intensity in the list. NOTE- this is probably colored light blue, denoting this as a variable fader control, as opposed to a button/toggle control.

Now, click "Start," Click on the "Note" box next to the Master Intensity line, then click the "Edit" button, then work your fader up and down. It should come up with a number in the note (for the US-428, it's 75. Yours may be different.) Notice that while the fader is moved, the number next to the note (down in the bottom left of the window) changes from 0 to 127 when pushed up, and 127 to 0 when pushed down.

Now, click "Save." DO NOT CLICK "STOP," otherwise you turn off the external control. The window should disappear, and you should see your Master Intensity slide up and down with the external fader control.

The beauty of this is now you can go back in and repeat these steps for all of your other controls that you want to be outboard. Don't worry, FreeStyler save the states of all the controls, even when you shut down for the night and fire up the next day!

Good Luck, and I hope this helps a bit...

Return to “General Midi Controllers”