These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Is a Linux version in the works?

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
pghben
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.0
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/

Is a Linux version in the works?

Post by pghben »

I have seen the thread related to running Freestyler under Wine (the windows emulator for linux) but hestitate to run under wine due to instability issues.

I know the bulk of most programs can be easily compiled for any architecture and OS with the wide variety of compilers and cross compilers available today, but also know that some specific types of code (mainly registry and hardware access) must be rewritten for different systems. I'm hoping that this program could be recompiled for linux with little modification.

I'm sure there are many of us that would be interested in helping to make a linux version available.

I would suggest a way to make this easier for Rapheal would be to gather a team of volunteer linux users. Each could be given a code snippet that needs re-coding and the replacement code could be then re-integrated into the program source with proper conditional compilation directives to allow the program to be compiled for either windows or linux without modification.

Of course, that might depend on how much needs re-written and what language the program is written in.

Ben (pghben@yahoo.com)

pghben

Re: Is a Linux version in the works?

Post by pghben »

You're probably right, but the same could be said of a lot of hardware.

For example, I am sitting here watching TV on a linux system with a TV tuner that the manufacturer does not provide a linux driver for, and in fact has firmware that is proprietary, it connects to the internet with a windows-only wireless card, also with no driver and proprietary firmware, and the gpu and sound card also have no manufacturer provided linux drivers.

I think it's not as intimidating problem as it might seem at first, but definitely something to look into (which I will start doing now and report back later)
Ben (pghben@yahoo.com)
pghben

Post by pghben »

On the driver front - things don't look too bleak: http://llg.cubic.org/dmx4linux/interfaces.html

and knowing linux people - get the program on linux and the remaining drivers will follow, quickly.

Ben
p.s. I did notice there is one alternative program in development, but building from scratch is always harder than converting to a new platform.
scemo_oy
FreeStyler Version: 3.01

Post by scemo_oy »

Hi
I'm also interested on pioneering freestyler in linux (ubuntu/debian preferably). In case you guys put out some versions for linux ill be interested on testing them out on a field.
My company's web pages:
http://www.scemo.fi
http://www.bandis.fi
Listen my dj/band gigs live at
http://www.scemo.fi:8000
gareth
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3

Post by gareth »

i would love to use freestyler in linux! im so fed up of windows and how unstable and slow it can be! i use ubuntu 9.10. i have tryed installing it in wine and it did complete once i added mfc42.dll to the system 32 folder. But not all of the GUI works making it unusable :(! are there any updates on this idea of porting it? cheers
Rocket
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Film

Post by Rocket »

Hi..
If FS could be ported to LINUX, that would be Very kewl, however, if it could be made to run on the Raspberry PI a small LINUX device, Now that would be EXELANT x 1000.. It is cheap, +- $35, has 2x USB and 100M eathernet, 1080p HDMI, Serial port, I2C, SPI, etc..
Here is a link to the device, http://www.raspberrypi.org/ it can run from 4xAA cells, about 1Watt power usage, perfect for many applications.
Please, Please.. :)
Thanx! :fs: :D
Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by Spirit »

hello everybody.
here you can find the Mac version from Freestyer.
Keep in mind it just a Port from a Older version 3.3.2

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
spankthafunk
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by spankthafunk »

I second the motion for a Linux version. Has anyone put in an actual request?

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”