These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

how to map (esp faders)?

Questions regarding general external control forum.
fisch
Starting to get to grips with FreeStyler
FreeStyler Version: 3
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ
Twitter: twitter.com/

how to map (esp faders)?

Post by fisch »

Hi all,

I feel like this is a really stupid question but, how exactly do you map midi controls? I have a korg nanoKontrol that I'm playing around with and Ive only used key shortcuts up until now. I have sliders knows and buttons but I cant get them working. I have values assigned to the actions (I'm wanting to control submasters) but nothing happens.

Thanks

fisch

Re: how to map (esp faders)?

Post by fisch »

ok, so I have the faders and buttons mapped decently but now I have another question: how can I map the knobs? When I try it registers them like buttons. Is there a way to tell FS they are knobs? I've seen them mapped before I believe, I just don't know how.

Thanks,

Jordan
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

fisch wrote:ok, so I have the faders and buttons mapped decently but now I have another question: how can I map the knobs? When I try it registers them like buttons. Is there a way to tell FS they are knobs? I've seen them mapped before I believe, I just don't know how.
Thanks,

Jordan
turn the knob when assigning it (similar to fader, you have to move/turn them). Be aware if you try to assign the buttons on the knob afterwards. you can accidentally turn the knob and override your previous settings.

[EDIT] I forgot we were talking about the korg nano and not the BCF200. You dont have buttons on the knobs for the korg nano.
Last edited by LJ_krede.dk on February 3rd, 2010, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta

Post by dmxlighting »

LJ_krede.dk wrote:
fisch wrote:ok, so I have the faders and buttons mapped decently but now I have another question: how can I map the knobs? When I try it registers them like buttons. Is there a way to tell FS they are knobs? I've seen them mapped before I believe, I just don't know how.
Thanks,

Jordan
turn the knob when assigning it (similar to fader, you have to move/turn them). Be aware if you try to assign the buttons on the knob afterwards. you can accidentally turn the knob and override your previous settings.

Ive not played with any of the korg nano stuff but its dead easy on a bcf2000 and works a treat. If these controls output midi then they should 'map' in fs with no problems.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
fisch

Post by fisch »

You're right: piece of cake. Apparently what I wanted to do wasn't exactly kosher in FS. So, does anyone know if its possible to cycle through submaster sequences with a knob? This would be ideal for me rather than the 'click for next' function now. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta

Post by dmxlighting »

fisch wrote: So, does anyone know if its possible to cycle through submaster sequences with a knob? This would be ideal for me rather than the 'click for next' function now. Any suggestions on how to do this?
No sorry you need to assign the 'back and 'go' buttons to navigate the submasters and then press the 'run' buttons (also assignable) to action that sequence. I can see why you want that and I guess it may have been looked at by the developer at it maybe that it did not work or it caused problems (only guessing here). Maybe it could be looked at in the future ?
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
spankthafunk
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by spankthafunk »

Did this feature ever get implemented?

Return to “General Midi Controllers”