These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

RGBW Led - Which is best?

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
mr_rodge
Knows how to turn Lights ON

RGBW Led - Which is best?

Post by mr_rodge »

I've been tasked with providing a few extra lights for a small stage pantomime in the local church.

Quick question for par 64 RGBW cans - which is best if the total combined wattage is the same? More 3w, or less 8w? Forget about different quality between manufacturers etc etc, I'm just talking brightness.

Cheers.

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: RGBW Led - Which is best?

Post by dmxlighting »

You will need a lot of 3w leds to keep up with 8 watt leds. I sell an 18x8 watt RGBW in a par 64 style.
Retail is £275 plus vat per unit. Its easily as bright os a par 64 lantern. 40 degree beam. sold hundereds of them and never seen one come back. (BTW you will not find THIS product being sold on the web)
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
mr_rodge

Post by mr_rodge »

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I know that 8w are brighter, but what I'm getting at is for instance, if I have 3x8w LEDs up against 8x3w, they are both supposedly 24w. Which would give off more lumens?

Thanks again.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Thats a tuff one. In theory they are both the same but this is not really the case. The 8w should appear brighter BUT this is also down to the optics which do most of the work really.

3x8w and 8x3w will both be crap. I would not waste the money UNLESS you can see them and know that you are happy with the output.

How much are these units ? who makes them ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
mr_rodge

Post by mr_rodge »

They're not real products, just hypothetical. What I was looking at was a chinese 'knock off' on ebay that had 54x3w LEDs and I was wondering how it would stack up against an 18x8w can. (162w vs 144w). Thing is, it's half the price and has a guarantee so if I get half the brightness I'll be happy.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

What you must remember when buying anything cheap it will in the end just be a load of crap.

Ive seen loads of these kind of units that go wrong quickly. LED does get hot and needs that heat to be displaced by well designed heat sinks. The cheap ones don't have that. This is why they stop working.

Its false economy to look at cheap shit on fleabay. Buy well and buy once.
Our units are warrenteed for 3 years and have 100,000 hours life (thats over 11 years!).

Beat that China!

7clighting
FreeStyler Version: 0
Twitter: www.7clighting.com

Post by 7clighting »

Of course the brightest the better,but the cost is high also.

My suggestion is consider it from the stage size,small size with the simply parcan is ok,if big size with hi power LED parcan.
Supply the stage lighting fixtureshttp://www.7clighting.com,like led moving head,beam light,led par light,led disco light,led wall wash light,led curtain,led flexible strip,led dance floor,stage laser light

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”