These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Enttec and Midi Problems (Severe)

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
DJ Viper
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Enttec and Midi Problems (Severe)

Post by DJ Viper »

Hello,
I have a fairly severe problem with midi control and interference with the Enttec Open DMX
First some background:
I recently upgraded my NI Traktor to 2.1.2 (although was having the same problem previously) and run a Numark Total Control to control Traktor. I also have a BCF2000 to control Freestyler. I have a desktop and a laptop both with Traktor and Freestyler. My DMX interface is a Enttec Open DMX.

Problem/Symptoms:
If I Open Traktor First:
When Traktor is running with the Total Control controlling it and I open Freestyler, once Freestyler gets past the splash screen (and recognizes the Enttec) Traktor stops playback, freezes, and all midi input and output on the total control comes to a stop. In order to resume playback I must unplug the Total Control from the computer.

The BCF2000 continues to control Freestyler with both midi In and Out (motors continue to respond).

If I open Freestyler First:
Traktor will not get past the "Initializing" screen and freezes until I unplug the Total control.

To Restart the situation:
I must uninstall and re-install the Numark Total Control through device manager (rebooting does not work).

Other Notes:
If I unplug the Enttec instead of the Total Control when Traktor freezes it will unfreeze Traktor as well. That is what proves that those 2 devices are conflicting. I have to unplug one or the other. Also, the Enttec only interferes when it is being used by Freestyler- not when it is only plugged in.

Any help is both needed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: Enttec and Midi Problems (Severe)

Post by dmxlighting »

You may need to look at the port settings to see if there is a conflict. Like 2 devices trying to use the same com ports.

Other than that maybe you are asking a lot from 1 laptop ?? or it could be that the programs you are running just don't get along and are causing some strange conflicts ?

Not much help really but I'd consider splitting the sound and lighting across 2 PC's.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
DJ Viper

Post by DJ Viper »

I've considered using 2 pc's except that it is extremely convenient to have one on the rack and not have to worry about 2. The midi controller is usb so it does not use a com port (unless the driver makes its own fake one). I am wondering if Numark just has the worse drivers in the industry. I have used many midi controllers and have never seen a problem like this. I have also tried virtualDJ and other programs. I even tried the total control with Freestyler while it was running the lights and what do you know, NO MIDI Output at all to the TotalControl. I do not believe it is a fault with the unit itself however. Thanks for the reply and any other ideas would be appreciated. Also, do you think I would have the same problem with the Enttec Pro? Does it use a com port?
matt
Admin
FreeStyler Version: NULL
Twitter: twitter.com/hankosky

Post by matt »

I would also recommend 2 Computers. Use a NetBook for your lights or a small laptop.
Matt Hankosky
twitter.com/hankosky
flickr.com/photos/mattxhank
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Yes Enttec Pro uses a com port.

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
DJ Viper

Post by DJ Viper »

What DMX interface would be best response wise (am looking to upgrade from an open anyway) and would resolve my problem by not creating a virtual com port (presuming this is the problem). Does DMX King create a com port? I have used other serial devices alongside my Total Control with no problems at all.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Don't know about DMX King as I have never used one. Enttec Pro uses a comm port and is concidered to be one of the best devices to use

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Post by Spirit »

DMX king used the FTDI chip the same as Enttec pro and there are more device that uses the FTDI chip.

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
mr_coops

Post by mr_coops »

Are you surte it isn't a midi conflict?
BCF and the total control couild both be outputting on same midi channel e.g. channel 1 and also usingthe same values..
Just a thought
http://www.numark.com/images/product_do ... idimap.pdf
Hope that;s right, this tells you the midi cc and note numbers for the device and states that they cannot be changed. I strongly suspect that this is transmitting on midi channel 1.
The BCF could also be transmitting on channel 1
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx
scroll to the bottom for documentation, you may need to change the channel that the BCF is transmitting on.
You'll need to alter it's global settingsa I think.

Just a thought and it might work.
If you download midiox http://www.midiox.com/ you can use bthat to check what midi messages are being sent by each device so you'll know if there are conflicts

Hope that helps/works

Return to “DMX Interfaces”