These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

feature thought - Fixture creator

Discuss suggestions here for the FreeStyler program then request them via the Bug Tracker
Forum rules
FreeStyler is made by Rapheal Wellekens there is no other person developing the software so please be aware that adding new features
and changing current ones may require a lot of work. This is a place to discuss ideas, please make requests via the feature request option on the BUG TRACKER
skintner
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

feature thought - Fixture creator

Post by skintner »

I am not sure this is the right forum for this idea and I am so new to this that I'm not sure I should be making any suggestions, but here goes...

It seems like the fixture manufacturers have fixture files for their stuff, for their software (or at least Chauvet does). Would it be possible to develop a parser of some kind that can parse and import their files?

I know this is freeware, but I know I would be willing to spend $$ on it if it did what I needed it to do.

I don't know the first thing about programming (except server tasks and web programming) so I have not a clue as to what it would take.

just a thought...

steve

Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Re: feature thought - Fixture creator

Post by Shannon D »

Poor Steve :( ... lol

You'll get it buddy! Just hang in there. There are several reasons why I think having to build your own fixture file is better. One, you learn from it so that you build knowledge of the software for trouble shooting. Two, you make the fixture file to suit your needs. Not everyone uses the same light the same way. A light like the Kinta, well there's not much to that light with just one channel, but some lights have 48 channels. You may want to use all 48, but I may not.

To build the fixture file, you only need the dmx table. Actually, If I couldn't find the dmx table on the web, I would simply hook up the light and take notes of how the light responds to each channel as I run through them.

When you get your adapter and able to actually play with the lights, it will start coming to you better. Yes, I said "play", because it is fun. I warn you tho, you may become addicted to this and start spending lots of dough on these toys! I know I got hooked.

Cheers!

SD
skintner
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Post by skintner »

Hi SD,
I actually thought that was a good idea ;-)

I built my own 5 > 3 pin converter and got the controller working this afternoon. It is cool, and yes, it is fun. It soooooo much easier and better than the Obey 40.

The fixture files that you folks helped me with work fine... there's still a lot that I don't understand, but I am way farther along in just 10 days than I got in a year with the Obey... I learned what my lights could do because I always had to use the sound activation mode with them.

It's not poor steve... I don't feel the least bit sorry for myself and don't require any sympathy. I'm a 10 year liver cancer survivor with more to be thankful for than most.

So thanks again to all of you... I will continue to participate here, both for assistance as required and to share my experiences along the way.

steve
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

Hey Steve,
I didn't mean you were feeling sorry for yourself. I felt sorry for you that you were struggling. I completely understand because I was once there. That's awesome about the liver cancer survivor! I have lost several family members to cancer and its a hard thing to deal with. I'm glad to hear you stepped up and made your own adapter. Now have some fun creating your sequences and let us know what you need help with.
Peace!

best regards,
Shannon

Return to “Ideas and Remarks”