These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

DMX signal pass-thru

Discussions concerning DMX gear in general.
skintner
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

DMX signal pass-thru

Post by skintner »

I have a couple Chauvet 4Play fixtures. They are currently set to master/slave/sound active so they are DMX inactive. If they are cabled into the DMX chain, will they *allow* pass-thru of DMX signals sent to fixtures further "down" the chain even tho they are not individually set to respond to DMX?

Question 2: Is the DMX controller able to access built-in functions on a fixture (as in, can the DMX controller activate the sound feature on the 4Plays or the Kinta)?

Thanks in advance
steve

Spirit
Pro Supporter! (Moderator)
FreeStyler Version: 3.5.9
I Use FreeStyler for: Nightclub Lighting

Re: DMX signal pass-thru

Post by Spirit »

If you link fixtures to echother without freestyler or a lightboard, so there is no DMX singal.
Some fixtures does nothin but other if Sound to light is active or not they will go on Sound to light.

But if there is a DMX signal the Fixture will listen to the DMX signal.
And some fixture does have a Seperate channel or a Value on a Channel so it Goes into Sound to light mode.

All this Totaly depants on the fixtures you have.. :)
But you can also use the sound to light that comes with freestyler..

/spirit
AMD FX-6100 (3.6ghz)x6, Nvidia 770GTX 4GB, 8GB Ram,ROG MB, enttec Pro, Open enttec, Velleman, T2250MTS-B1 22"touchscreen, Ilyama 23" screen, scans, dimm, rgbled, laser, soundsystem Just a drive-in show. Live and Dance
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: DMX signal pass-thru

Post by dmxlighting »

As a foot note, please remember that in master/slave mode your fixtures use self-created DMX signals to comunicate so if you put other things on the same line they will probably act strangly as they too will recive a signal of some sort.

The fixtures you have will most likely have a way to control a built in program with music trigger if you send the correct DMX signals on the corrisponding channels. Be aware though that if you do this the fixtures will probably NOT all do the exact same thing at the same time even if they are on the same channels.

Example - I have two Martin Wizards that are a pain to program so I send out tghe automatied music control signal for them via dmx. This works just great, they are both on the same channel number but they are not in sync are independantly do their own thing. Still looks quite good though.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert

Return to “Other DMX/Lighting questions”