These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Enttec Ode - Somebody who got it working?

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
cleothecat
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Enttec Ode - Somebody who got it working?

Post by cleothecat »

Hi FS community

I'm not afrequent poster but this time after 5 hours trying hard I dont know how to get further and hope there is somebody out there who can help. And I promise I read every available post on the internet (I even tried in French although I#m not very capable of that language) and everything in this Forum. If I have overlooked something pls let me know and receive my apologies.

I'm using a Mac Mini with Parallels and FS running on Windows 7. I have been using enttec open dmx so far, but didnt find it reliable so I just recently bought Enttec ode because I like controlling dmx via ethernet. I managed that the Enttec detection program "NMU" finds my device (this already was a mess) on Windows 7, but now have problems in integrating "ODE" into FS.

There are 2 main issues:
1) If I try to change the interface in the drop down menu of FS it doesnt save it properly. When I leave it open it remembers my selection, but everytime I close and than reopen the program again there is still enttec open dmx selected and enttec ode is lost.
2) Of course it everytime tells me "open failed", so it obviously it doesnt work

Must I tell the prog the IP Adress of the "Ode"? But where can I configure the "Ode" in FS?

I read that also Art-Net to DMX could play a role, but in this little programm there isnt even a chance to set this "ode" device, this Enttec interface is just not listed on my dropdown.

Thre was a posting where it seems that a user had a solution, but I didnt understand it because I couldnt find the options he was describing.

If you could help me this would be great, I'm almost a little desperate - thank you
cleothecat

lefodnes
I Use FreeStyler for: Theater

Re: Enttec Ode - Somebody who got it working?

Post by lefodnes »

I think I got it. I have the Enttec Open Dmx Ethernet.

My ODE is set up so that it accepts Art-Net and outputs DMX.
It has an IP address of 2.9.200.2. My computer has an IP address of 2.9.200.1.

First, you might want to check if your computer is actually sending data, by using the ENTTEC NMU, on the menu "Artnet", select "Artnet test". It should start broadcasting Artnet packets. I used http://www.wireshark.org to check that. (use capture filter "dst net 2.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0").

After testing, please close the NMU, before continuing with FreeStyler.

I set up FreeStyler to use Art-Net (not Enttec ODE). This makes the software output ArtNet data on the 2.0.0.0 network, the ODE will capture this data and send it to its DMX output. I noticed that if I change the universe value, sending was stopped. I had to restart FreeStyler.

I did not use the Artnet-DMX small program. Don't know what it is for.
cleothecat

Post by cleothecat »

Hi Lefodnes

this is so great news thank you very much for replying.

I feared that nobody could help me and that there is no solution to my problem.
Now I'm quite euphoric because I'm sure this brings me a little further in getting it up working.

I will test it tomorrow as I'm just recovering from a flu and today I'm too tired, so I will let you and the community know how I come along with it.

With 1/2 year experience I'm an absolute newbie but If you ever need help on how to setup a Revo 4 via Suntrix let me know...

Best regards and again thank you very much cleothecat
cleothecat

Post by cleothecat »

Hi Lefodnes

I'm so close, but so far did not succeed

What i did:
I changed IP of the Ode to 2.2.2.2
I checked it on Wireshark if there is an Art Net Signal (and yes: sender is 192.x.x.x to 2.2.2.2)
I closed NMU and Wireshark and opened Freestyler
I changed Frestyler controller to Art-Net saved that and closed Freestyler to check whether it kept it
I reopened Freestyler and it tells me on startup: "Please setIP address to range 10.x.x.x or 2.x.x.x to enable Art-Net"
Arghhhh and it doesnt work my lights are still dark

Can I set the IP address somewhere on Freestyler? did I do something wrong?

I think I'm so superclose to the solution and so happy that you brought me so far (which I would have never found out alone)

Do you have a idea? would be great

Thank you cleothecat
cleothecat

Post by cleothecat »

I got it!!!

Problem is solved - it works!!!

I was as close as I thought, I only had to change and fix the computers IP address to 2.x.x.x (x=whatever you like - should also work with 10.x.x.x) and the lights went on. Nothing to change on FS.

What a feeling!!!

When I can help you pls let me know in that thread, I'm happy to support you
lefodnes

Post by lefodnes »

That's good to hear Cleothecat! I know the feeling :)

I'm afraid I had to give up on Freestyler, because I did not understand how to do standard theatre static lights with cues and chasers. All demos I see, are with moving lights. I really enjoy the fact that you can lay out fixtures (in my case: parcans and fresnels) on a "map", and that you even get an image of the fixtures. But it stops at that point, I'm afraid. I would need submasters, cues with text entry, a go button and chasers/dimmer effects with up/dwell/down times. Those standard things. If you have a recommendation, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Good to hear you finally had it working. Have fun!
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

lefodnes wrote: I would need submasters, cues with text entry, a go button and chasers/dimmer effects with up/dwell/down times. Those standard things. If you have a recommendation, I'd be glad to hear about it
have you tried the Fs Go Monkey Theater stack program which interacts with FS

search for Go Monkey and you will find
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
lefodnes

Post by lefodnes »

Yes, I saw it. But I must check it out a little more, I believe. To me it looked like I have to write XML to use it, and I feel that is a little too difficult for our lighting team members.
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

lefodnes wrote:To me it looked like I have to write XML to use it, and I feel that is a little too difficult for our lighting team members.
its good a XML creator for go monkey is developed then :D
http://www.freestylersupport.com/fsforu ... 100#p14442
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report

Return to “DMX Interfaces”