These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Enttec Open DMX and Lightwave Trackspots

Discuss everything regarding DMX interfaces in this forum.
hammtech
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Enttec Open DMX and Lightwave Trackspots

Post by hammtech »

Hey Everyone.

I bought an Enttec open DMX USB controller to replace an aging Lightwave Trackspot controller.

My problem is, that it just doesn't seem to work at all. When I plug in the DMX Controller, the trackspots do thier little chugga-chugga dance, same when I unplug it. I set the four of them up, using the High End Trackspot, use all the defaults and select 4 fixtures. I am able to see the lights come on in the 3D view and they move etc, but the actuall lights themselves do nothing at all.

I installed Frestyler, selected the DMX controller, added the fixtures, set the dip switches on the fixtures as per the fixture profile, but I can't get them to come on or move at all.

I assume that because the 3D view lights come on and go off, move etc, that I am using the software correctly (ie, I'm not blacked out or anything like that).

Is it possible that the Highend Trackspot profile is not correct for the original Lightwave Trackspots? (High End bought out Lightwave) I can go back to teh Lightwave controller and the lights work.

Trying to figure out if the controller is defective, or if I'm doing something wrong. I have one other DMX light available, but it isn't in the profile either and I don't have the specs for it.

Any info would be appreciated.

wardomon
Commited FS Forum helper
FreeStyler Version: 3.4.6
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

Re: Enttec Open DMX and Lightwave Trackspots

Post by wardomon »

I've got TrackSpots. Try subtracting "1" from the address shown in the software. I assume that they're the first 4 lights in the rig. The addresses should be 0, 7, 14 & 21. I have 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6 personality switches on, but your set up may be different. That's lamp save, high res 1-256, and pan invert.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
hammtech

Post by hammtech »

Thanks, I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
wardomon
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by wardomon »

Hammtech: Did it work?
hammtech

Post by hammtech »

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I passed the info along and with it we were able to get the lights moving and lit up, but not moving as expected. So some point this week I will have a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!
wardomon
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by wardomon »

If the channels are assigned correctly you're good to go. My set up is for a band so I sit out front. I've inverted the pan channel so that when I move the controls to the left the beam swings to my left. For a DJ, inverted tilt might work better.

My GLP Max yokes were really confusing to get oriented correctly. I probably have them sitting on the stage facing the wrong way because the visualizer is swapped front to back. It puts the switches and connectors forward, out of the way of musicians feet. Also, I decided that the pan should accurately reflect the real world. I'll go back in eventually and see if I can make it look right in Magic3d.

Let me know how it works out for you.
hammtech

Post by hammtech »

Thanks Wardomon,

This setup is for a band as well. We were able to get some movement, but with only one light, and the program started crashing on them. I haven't had a chance to look at it myself yet as the gear is on the road, but I will either tonight or tomorrow.

They got by the last few shows using the old lightwave controller, which is getting unreliable.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to try it myself,

Thanks again,

Andy
wardomon
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by wardomon »

It also dawned on me that you can invert pan and tilt in the software. Can't remember where at the moment.
darran
FreeStyler Version: 3.01

Post by darran »

Trackspot dip switches are not DMX addresses like on most fixtures, d/l a copy of the manual and it contains a table for coverting DMX addresses to trackspot addresses. Problem solved

Darran
limelight-services.com
wardomon
Commited FS Forum helper

Post by wardomon »

Darran: They're DMX but there's a difference in how American lights are addressed. We use 0 based addressing while almost everyone else starts at 1. Trackspots are 7 channels so if the desired starting DMX channel is 1, then 4 lights would have the starting channels of 1,8,15 and 22. To convert to American subtract 1. Set the dips to 0,7,14 and 21.

Here's the manual:
http://www.highend.com/pub/products/aut ... /tsv41.pdf

This holds true pretty much across the board. Subtract 1 from what ever DMX start channel you want, set the DIPs accordingly and you'll probably be good to go. It's worked that way for me for a long time now.

There are some exceptions. NSI/Nova dimmer packs for one. I'm sending DMX 93 through 96 down the wire. Switches 1,2,3,5 are on, in binary that's 23. It's physical fixture number 14. Took me a while to get that sorted out.

Return to “DMX Interfaces”