These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

Blizzard Puck RGBA ?

Questions and discussions regarding the 3D Visualiser Software incorporated with FreeStyler. The software is provided by Sunlight.
Forum rules
Sunlight is the creater of Magic 3D Easy View we can try (the forum users) and help with any problems you have with the version provided with FreeStyler but remember this is a 3rd party program and not made by the FreeStyler Developer.
plan_G
Possibly Becoming Qualified FS User
FreeStyler Version: 3.5
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Blizzard Puck RGBA ?

Post by plan_G »

Hi, how can I tell what included fixture in 3D Easy View would work with the Puck fixture in Freestyler? I'm new at this, and don't know how to compare them. I downloaded the .pff from Blizzard's site, but I see nothing in 3D to match up with. Thanks for any advice, I'm still very much in the learning stages of the program, and lighting in general.

GaryBonaducci
DJ
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Re: Blizzard Puck RGBA ?

Post by GaryBonaducci »

These "Pucks" from Blizzard have gotten popular amongst a few deejays I know from another board, so I took a look at the product's web page and owner's manual.

I am guessing you want to run these devices in 7-channel mode so you can access the fixture's macros. (You're probably already aware that you can use EasyView's generic RGBA fixture if you were running it in 4-channel mode.) Unfortunately, the manual has no description of the macros that are available on channel 7, so it's pretty much impossible for anyone without the light to describe how to create a good fixture model using the Scan Library Editor.

Nicolodie has some online instructions for using the Scan Library Editor and an older version of EasyView. They can be accessed through links on the product pages:
http://www.nicolaudie.com/en/scanlib.htm
http://www.nicolaudie.com/en/easyview.htm

I'd suggest opening up a few of the existing LED par lights, and try reverse-engineering what the fixture's creators did to create those lighting models. A good one to dissect is the AmericanDJ PROPAR56:
http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetail ... gory=L.E.D.
http://www.americandj.com/pdffiles/propar_56rgb.pdf

The AmericanDJ ProPar56 is only a RGB device, but like your Puck, it operates in several modes. It can be configured as a 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, or 7-channel DMX light, with macros, color mixing, dimmer, and strobing channels. I think when you see how they created this in the Scan Library Editor, you'll understand how you'll need to create your RGBA Puck.

Also, please complete your profile as best as you can. (I like seeing where people are from!) Thanks! :)

ETA: Also, just to give you a 'heads-up', EasyView has a lot of limitations with macros, so don't get too hopeful that it will be able to display your light's every function. You won't be able to program any "animated" sequenced macros because it simply can't do them. (At least in the limited "free" mode that's given to us.) But you'll be able to use it for many other things, and it often beats setting up your lights in the real world, especially if one doesn't have the space to do so.
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

Thank you for the detailed response. Will I be able to run the macros through the desk, or would I have to go do that manually? My pucks should be arriving the middle of next week, as well as my Enttec Pro. This is my first go with lights, so I'm trying to sponge in as much info as I can. Freestyler gets high marks, but I'm still pretty confused - hopefully having the lights in the room will help :)

I'll see if I can find and open up those LED Par fixture files. .. and fill out my profile :)

-g
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

I found a newer manual - fwiw to others:
http://www.dmxsoft.com/manuals/index.ph ... langman=en
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Yes, I think once you have things in front of you, it will be easier to see how it all works together.

This should be the product page: http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/puckrgba
And this should be the link to the manual: http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.p ... doc/48/raw

Looking on page 5, the manual shows the macros are controlled by the values on Channel 7. Unfortunately, it has a confusing description of "What It Does". It says, "Color Macros (slow <-> fast)", which doesn't make any sense.

Compare with the AmericanDJ manual, page 10: http://www.americandj.com/pdffiles/propar_56rgb.pdf
The ADJ manual list everything that happens when you send values from 0-to-255 to the fixture: You get 32 preset solid colors. I have a feeling that this may be the same with the RGBA Puck; but there could also be macros that make the unit strobe or color fade, etc. We will have to see when you get one and set it up.

When you get one working, can you list everything that happens when you send values from 0 to 255 to Channel 7, just like how it's done in the ADJ manual? This device doesn't appear terribly complicated, so if you can do that, I should be able to whip up an EasyView fixture for you in little time. Also, everyone will benefit from having a listing of those macros published.

And then, after I give you your EasyView fixture profile, you will need to do a small favor for me in return.... :twisted:

Ha ha ha!!!

Actually, my request is very simple. There are a handful of LED lighting which when videotaped, will appear to strobe when not running at full intensity. This strobing effect is similar as to what one would see when videotaping old-school boob tube television screens. To get the dimming effect on these LED pars, some manufacturers strobe the LEDs very quickly, and they adjust the on/off ratios during the strobing to give the effect of dimming to the human eye. Above 30 frames-per-second, we can't see this strobing; but if the strobing isn't fast enough, a video camera can capture it. High-quality LED pars are designed not to do this, and I want to know if these inexpensive PARs have been thoughtfully engineered to avoid this strobing/dimming video problem. So all I need you to do is run your Pucks at half-brightness, point a video camera at them, and tell us if the lights appear to strobe or not on the video.

For a band, this strobing effect may not be very important. But many deejays perform at weddings, and having LED lighting that looks good on video is important because many brides hire videographers too. This is why I am interested in having this info.
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

You bet! Always glad to help when I can, seems I'm always needing more than I can give--

I can upload the file I've been working on if you'll check it for me.

I'm confused on #7 as well. I have the dimmer and the strobe in there, but nothing after that. And I found out that Blizzard is here in Wisconsin and I had no idea. Weeks of research and I never noticed. LOL.

The manual says:
• Built-in automated programs via DMX and master/slave

any clue how to access these "via DMX"? I also dropped them a line.

Now, how to attach file...
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

it says I can't attach an .ssl2 which is what scanlibrary is saving as. I read I'm supposed to export to a .pff. I see no way to do it =(
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

I just sent you a PM!
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Great work! :) You have everything set up right (except for that mysterious Channel 7, of course).

I completed a few things you left empty and tested the file.

What I found during testing is that EasyView doesn't seem to support all the features that it should yet. Even though one can create an RGBA or RGBW .ssl2 file using the Scan Library Editor, EasyView doesn't seem to display the amber or white LEDs yet, it only displays the red, green and blue ones. I'm applying a temporary workaround. It gets close, but it's not exactly right.

Also, it occurred to me later that I can guess how the Macro control on Channel 7 works by examining the FreeStyler .pff files. It looks like from 0~99 the fixture works in regular RGBA mode, then from 100~255 the fixture works in a color-changer mode. 100 is slow, 180 is medium, and 240 is fast color changing. I think I can simulate this action also.

It's getting very late, but tomorrow's Friday.... I'm trying a few things, and hopefully will complete it soon. If not, then not too much later... If that makes sense... :roll: :mrgreen:
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

I appreciate your help, Gary!
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

I emailed with Will from Blizzard he said this:
here is as good of a description as I can think of for channel 7. It is a color chase that you can vary from slow to fast… so the channel is uniform from 0-255, just the speed varies
is there a way to upload the ssl2 files in the Magic 3D forum once we get it figured out?
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Any videos yet?
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

I have the lights, and the interface... I'm impatiently waiting for the 5-pin to 3-pin adapter o.0 There is a built in auto-fade on the units, I'll grab the zoom this upcoming week and give it a try~

one more show tonight and then a few days of rest!

would it be better to take the video with a lower or higher quality camera?
GaryBonaducci
DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Try the more expensive one. It should have a bigger lens (lower f-stop number), and require less "exposure" time, thus revealing any strobing effects more easily. If you can manually set the shutter speed on this video camera, then see what happens if you set it at 1/120 sec or so, and the lights are at about 50%. Thanks!!!! :)
plan_G

Post by plan_G »

I'll make one on our Zoom and with my Sony camera. I don't have anything snazzier ;-)

Return to “Magic 3D Easy View”