These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

USBDMX.COM input for external control

Questions regarding general external control forum.
mikeb
Knows how to turn Lights ON
FreeStyler Version: 3.2.8
I Use FreeStyler for: Church

USBDMX.COM input for external control

Post by mikeb »

Hi,

I'm looking to use the DMX input of the usbdmx.com interface with FS, but I can't figure out how to do it. Is there a tutorial or guide to setting up DMX external inputs? So far, I've found the "enable external control" checkbox in DMX In section of the settings, but it appears to be disabled.
TIA

Onge

Re: USBDMX.COM input for external control

Post by Onge »

Pretty certain you can only use a Martin interface for DMX in.
dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Post by dmxlighting »

Onge wrote:Pretty certain you can only use a Martin interface for DMX in.
Its definately only the Martin interface that FS supports for this
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

That's a shame. Is there any technical reason why it can't be done, or has it just not been implemented yet?
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

mikeb wrote:That's a shame. Is there any technical reason why it can't be done, or has it just not been implemented yet?

It probably wont happen. Many of us on here use an Enttec Pro device which also has DMX in and that cant be used either.
Only the developer can tell you why.

What is your reason for wanting a dmx in ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I wanted to use one of these: http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR245047 to get some physical fader inputs.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

mikeb wrote:I wanted to use one of these: http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR245047 to get some physical fader inputs.

Thought it would be something like that.

What you need is a midi device.

I strongly recommend a BCF2000 or if thats a bit expensive for you (£180 or less) then look at the Korg Nano stuff (various different modules at around £45).

FS supports midi and you can control pretty much anything this way.

mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Presumably its the Korg NanoKontrol (the one with the faders), that is compatible and best suited to FS?

It would be really nice to be able to use the DMX on the USB adaptors that have it, then there are endless possibilites for a combined control setup with FS and a conventional desk. Maybe something that could be added in future? Is there a place to direct feature requests?
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

mikeb wrote:Presumably its the Korg NanoKontrol (the one with the faders), that is compatible and best suited to FS?
ALL midi controllers are compatible.
Best suited or not, is more a personal opinion of what you need.
It would be really nice to be able to use the DMX on the USB adaptors that have it, then there are endless possibilites for a combined control setup with FS and a conventional desk. Maybe something that could be added in future? Is there a place to direct feature requests?
MIDI has some advantages to DMX, one of them is that it is bi-directional. So when using a controller with motorized faders, the faders will always be in the correct position of what FreeStyler wants them to be (or where you left them the last time - think of pan/tilt/color/gobo controls when selecting another fixture). That will never be possible with DMX controllers.
I think that there are too less users wanting this, so it probably will never be implemented as it is quite a lot of work to do for each DMX interface model.
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

remco_k wrote: MIDI has some advantages to DMX, one of them is that it is bi-directional. So when using a controller with motorized faders, the faders will always be in the correct position of what FreeStyler wants them to be (or where you left them the last time - think of pan/tilt/color/gobo controls when selecting another fixture).
Midi compatability is what makes FS some useable for me. Without this and controller like the BCF2000 I would be using other things to operate my lights.

We should probably point out that Enttec also make some devices (These are NOT midi) that can be use to operate FS in a similar way to midi.
These devices are quite expensive compared to some of the midi devices avalible could be worth looking at for some people.
Raph obviously went to some effort on the part of writing the additional code to support these devices so there may well be more benefit to using them.

Onge

Post by Onge »

I have an old 48 channel desk and that has midi as well so I could use that for triggering FS.

The Enttec Wings are superb, they are Ethernet connected, do not have feedback though. I have all 3 and use them on Lightfactory, I have also connected them to FS and they work well. Raph uses 2 of them on his FS setup. Raph also wrote the "MIDIwing" software which enables up to 6 wings to control other desks/software via midi. i.e. it converts the signals into midi. You have to admit he is a pretty clever guy. So are other people on this forum.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Onge wrote:I have an old 48 channel desk and that has midi as well so I could use that for triggering FS.
Does it actually have 'midi out' ?

Ive got some old desks that allow midi in and midi through but not 'in' Could be very useful if yours does!

Onge

Post by Onge »

dmxlighting wrote:
Onge wrote:I have an old 48 channel desk and that has midi as well so I could use that for triggering FS.
Does it actually have 'midi out' ?

Ive got some old desks that allow midi in and midi through but not 'in' Could be very useful if yours does!
Yep it does as you can see on this picture of the connections at the back 3 midi ports, in, out & thru.
Light-Operator-48-Rueck-650.jpg
I will have to blow the cobwebs off it and have a play to see what it can do. Damn I will need to get a MIDI interface on my PC to use it unless I can go through the BCF2000 :roll: Anyone know if that is possible :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

Andre - I have a midi / usb interface you can have mate. Im not sure if you can go through the bcf. That would mean having usb and 5pin midi optioned on. Ive never tried that so be interesting to know as I have project in mind that would require that so let me know if it does work!

EugenyAM
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Stage Show

Post by EugenyAM »

I have an idea how to use USBDMX.COM (or other interfaces) input.
My own device using USBDMX.COM compatible protocol and successfully using with Freestyler.
I want to create the dashard.dll library to interfacing USBDMX.COM thru it (as Sunlite or other DasHard compatible controller). Other function of this dll is polling the DMX IN and convert channel values to MIDI messages, then send it to Freestyler thru virtual MIDI port (that as Maple VMC software).
DMX to MIDI mapping config has been stored in text format .ini file, possible editing with Notepad.

what's "underwater stones" may be on this way?

PS. I also sucsessfully using virtual MIDI port technology to control Freestyler from Winamp's timecode.

Return to “General Midi Controllers”