These adverts are supporting the forum's costs and the products/services are not endorsed by the forum owners.
First have you tried?
Learn more about using FreeStyler at the FreeStyler WIKI HERE
Learn more about DMX in General at The DMX Wiki HERE

if all else fails and you need a fixture consider the fixture building service HERE

I am in a bit of a dilema. Topic is solved

Nothing about FreeStyler just General Chat.

Should I carry on adding pages to the FreeStyler Wiki ?

Yes - Do not worry if you create pages someone else could have created, as they have not done so yet.
83%
No - Let others create pages and also have the possibility of winning the Enttec Pro USB DMX interface.
17%

Total votes: 6

Onge

I am in a bit of a dilema.

Post by Onge »

Guys & Gals (do we have any ?)

I am in a bit of a dilema.
I can just keep adding stuff to the FreeStyler Wiki but then that reduces other peoples chances of winning the interfaces as I have "stolen" pages that maybe they could have created and leaving the harder feature/pages to create.

Remember I cannot win the interface but want others to have the best chance they can.

So you guys what should I do?

Answers in the poll please.

dmxlighting
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: beta
I Use FreeStyler for: Where do I start?

Re: I am in a bit of a dilema.

Post by dmxlighting »

Andre,

You are making more contribution than anyone to the wiki and I do understand what you are saying.
however as I suspected from the outset, its only the usual suspects that do contribute to these things.
It was the same for the dmxwiki and the same for the fswiki.
People are just too afraid of getting involed even though we are a very friendly forum, also perhaps they dont know enough to make a worth while contribution or consider that they don't know enough.
Like you, I have left some half baked pages on the wiki for others to add to or finish and even left some encourageing messages for others to get involved.

Also Im fairly disapointed in Adams lack of effort in supporting his own idea / compertiton. I guess he is busy but I have not seen him on here in ages.
Should he be promoting this more ?

I dont want the enttec device and dont consider that my contributions count in the comp and I belive that the same applies to you too.

If its going to me, you and the other regulars that build the wiki then so be it. - Raffle of the enttec device and give the money to charity.
If the reward of a £100 device is not going to get people involved than nothing will.
Freestyler DMX - Pissing over the competition since 199x
What do you want for free ?

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
LJ_krede.dk
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.7

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

well, I considered to write something about the fixture creator. Right now I think it is waste of time if i begin writting about the same. it is better that all the topics are covered fairly instead of having 5 versions of the same topic.

The reason I haven't contributed to the wiki pages, is that I have struggled with my studies and used a lot of time on it. in next week I have my deadline for the final project and then have plans to contribute to the wiki page . not only because I can win the enttec, but also because this would save us a lot of time explaining the same things over and over again on this forum. also, I think I owe this to the FS society :fs: and finally i will have time to do it.

yes, maybe people are afraid to write something wrong on the wiki, but i'm sure mistakes will be corrected fast and without any will look down on the user who wrote it...

how many use or know the FS wiki????
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
Onge

Post by Onge »

@ LJ_krede.dk

We all understand about studying and getting time to do anything else, so do not worry about that.

Any contribution even if the subject has been covered, especially if it adds something extra, that was missed, or change something to explain it better.

It is like the page about the "Channel description" tab and the "Locate" and "Default" values, you explained that in the forum to n4spd and he used that in their own words with a picture to explain it on the Wiki, he did credit you with the info :)

There are plenty of parts of the Fixture Creator that I have not actually explained but rather have just told people what to enter as part of the tutorial. Explaining the various tabs of the Fixture Creator could be a whole subject on it's own.

You do know a lot and have made some very informative posts on the forum, which could/should be converted into pages for the wiki.

@ everyone else
This is also true for other contributors to the FreeStyler Support forum, look at some of the posts you have made and consider if they should be made into pages for the wiki. You will be suprised about what should/could be added.

@dmxlighting
Same thoughts as me about the contributors.
Adam (DJ Support) has been very busy of late, so not much time to get on here.
Shannon D
FS is my life
FreeStyler Version: 3.3.2
I Use FreeStyler for: Band

Post by Shannon D »

Andre,

Recognition for you on such a great job. You put lots of effort into the wiki and it does not go unnoticed. If you feel you have done enough, then let it be.

I know I said I was going to add to the Wiki on the subject of the 3D Scan Library, but after doing some searching on Sunlite's website, I found some all ready made tutorials. I figured it did not pay to re-invent the wheel, so I added the links to what you have already posted.

After going through most of the wiki, I believe most of the ground floor has been covered. But we still get questions like, "how do I switch to virtual interface". That means the new guys are not even looking around in the software to figure the simple things out for themselves. Ok, so I'll add that one to the wiki, but really, how low do you have to go :o

Maybe Adam has some life events going on and he's not able to come by. I know I come and go here or there. In December, my mother passed away and I was occupied with many things. We bounce back from life events, but some times it takes a while. I know some folks are struggling with the economy. There are too many things to list. I doubt he has abandone FS.
My 2 pennies....
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

@ LJ Krede - Sorry if you felt the need to defend yourself. You did not. I acually thought you had added some stuff and I would consider that you are one of the 'Usual Suspects'.

@ Shannon - How low ? Right to the bottom I think. The problem with being new to anything is its just easier to ask 'Can some one please tell me how to breath?'
Some people will help themselves and then ask for help on a trickier problem. I was quite lazy when I started using FS and even emailed Raph directly with a dumb question cause I thought that nobody would answer me on the forum! I got shot down for that!
I think the wiki needs to explain everything, then newbies can be pointed to it as THE difinative user manual. Also as FS grows and it IS going to grow the wiki can grow with it.
As for reinventing the wheel, well yeah, I think its better to keep all the info 'in house' rather than linking off to other sites. One site that has it all is the way forward.

@ Adam - If you should appear, I don't mean to have a go at you, I just wondered where you have been buddy. You used to be way more proactive on the forum and I was starting to think you had lost interest. Hope ur ok and just enjoying a busy life away from the forum.

@ Onge - Dont stop, it will all go to pieces if you do! :mrgreen:

Freelance Lighting Programmer / Sound Engineer / Designer / Installer and General All Round AV Expert
Onge

Post by Onge »

I was not going to stop, just hold off for a while to give other people a chance to add to the FS WIki and maybe get themselves a Enttec Pro USB DMX interface in the long run.

I actually enjoy doing the tutorials, it actually teaches me things as I go along, I try to get every step, but do miss them every now and then, so need people to go through them and point out any correction I need to make.
LJ_krede.dk

Post by LJ_krede.dk »

dmxlighting wrote:@ LJ Krede - Sorry if you felt the need to defend yourself. You did not. I acually thought you had added some stuff and I would consider that you are one of the 'Usual Suspects'.

@Onge and dmxlighting
I'm sorry if my comment looks like I felt the need to defend myself. What I meant was that you can expect I will write something on the wiki. I have used the forum to get alot of answers from you guys. I know I don't need to write on the wiki but I want to contribute to this FS society, and yes, i can tell FS beginners one thing or two about the program ;) also, yes, thats right, i had adde some things to the wiki but not that much.

@Onge
Maybe you are right about it is good that people write about the same thing. however I think I will write something else than fixture creator, just to fill out the blanks.

and one thing more. A lot of people asks about the greyscaled 3d icon and they can get magic to work with FS because they don't have selected any interface etc. Could it be an idea to make a FAQ page on wiki to clear out some of the basic and often asked questions? when wiki will be know of the users it would help them a lot. a link to the wiki on Ralph's page would be good too.
/LJ_krede.dk
Aalborg, Denmark
Moderator, Supporter and Bug report manager for the FreeStyler community
Found a bug? Submit a Bug Report
GaryBonaducci
DJ
I Use FreeStyler for: DJ

Post by GaryBonaducci »

Guys, I'm sorry I haven't contributed anything to the wiki. I do enjoy writing, and like Onge says, I want to contribute because I can see it helping myself think things thoroughly as I would write it. What's happening for me is that this is a bad time of the year. For my regular day job, we're busy because the holidays are over and many of our clients and salespeople want to get started with projects for the new year. I can't sneak in time during the day to write as I would during a slower part of the year. For my DJing business, I need to work on marketing plans to get more jobs in 2010; Plus, this is at the close of 2009 and I need to get all my bookkeeping squared away to file taxes. Quite frankly, this is the most urgent task right now for me because it's my first year returning to deejaying. I have a lot of expenses and losses that I can write off my taxes this year, and my business doesn't generate enough income yet to sustain itself. So yes, even though I am very indebted to Raph and everyone here and want to contribute back, at this moment I must give priority to getting my bookkeeping and taxes done.
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

To Everybody

We 'The Usual Suspects' are not having a go at you for not getting involved with the wiki and we don't want the reasons why you have not contributed. We understand that people have very busy lives and you are not all sad and bored (like us :mrgreen: ).
Its just that there is a compertition on and a very good and very industry related prize on offer and there is nearly 2500 members of this forum.

If you have the time and want to get involved please do, we will help you with how to write a page if needed!

The usual suspects.....
usfs.JPG

djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

dmxlighting wrote:Also Im fairly disapointed in Adams lack of effort in supporting his own idea / compertiton. I guess he is busy but I have not seen him on here in ages.
Should he be promoting this more ?
Im on 24/7 Call for this forum but I lost keeping up with topics now were twice as busy as we were a few years ago! If im needed I'll be here if Im not I'll be doing a million other things! I havent touched FreeStyler for at least 2 years now. Not out of choice just I havent been able to play with any lights as thats what I did before i'd hijack other peoples! :p
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out
remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

If you ever, some day, decide to give up or wanting to give up hosting/managing this forum, I offer to take it all over (hosting, data, whatever). When needed. I have enough possibilities for these kind of things.
If you want to keep hosting and managing this forum, then thats good. In the meantime we all just do our own thing. :)

@dmxlighting: just keep on going.

Edit:
Dammit, now I'm white!
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

remco_k wrote: @dmxlighting: just keep on going.!
Huh?

@ Adam - Its good to see you back on here a bit more dude! I know your a busy boy and its a shame your not out controlling lights with FS.
Things change and move on. The forum is an interesting place to be a part of.

remco_k
FreeStyler Version: N/A
I Use FreeStyler for: To help others here on the Forum!

Post by remco_k »

dmxlighting wrote:
remco_k wrote: @dmxlighting: just keep on going.!
Huh?
For some stupid reason I thought you started a new topic with the same question. Could be the white color... :mrgreen:
Developer of the Sound 2 Light application (SL.exe) for FreeStyler: https://www.digiplay.nl/fs
Electronics runs on magic smoke. If it escapes, the electronics won't work anymore!
Need a SHOUTcast stream?: https://www.digiplay.nl
dmxlighting
FS is my life

Post by dmxlighting »

remco_k wrote: Could be the white color... :mrgreen:
Its a bit bright in here! Adam please tone it down a bit! How about... mmm.... err.... YELLOW!

djSupport
Hosts the Freestyler Forum and is an Admin!
FreeStyler Version: Forum la
I Use FreeStyler for: Just for the Fun of it.

Post by djSupport »

dmxlighting wrote: @ Adam - Its good to see you back on here a bit more dude!
Im always at my computer and if I'm out working i always have email and access to the forum on my mobile, I just come when needed or when mods/admins post in there forums as I get instant notifications which I dont for anything else other than PM's,

remko_k I'll continue to update and do admin associated roles dont worry all ya gotta do is holla!
Heather Trott, You Babe! I Drive a Dacia Duster and Explore! Check it out

Return to “Off-Zone”